Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 16, 2020 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Monica attempts to flee the country

A chapter in the book Monica

Monica Chapter 15

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A narcissistic young woman invades the lives of newly weds, Rob and Sarah. She is determined to have Rob for herself. A series of murders lead the police to suspect Monica may be a serial killer.
Ending of Chapter 14: Feeling a pang of regret over leaving Rob, she wished she could have met him as he had asked. He had called her the night before. Feeling bad about having to miss her dinner party, he wanted to make it up to her by taking her to dinner without Sarah. She had been so excited. She knew he'd eventually fall victim to her charm and beauty. Now she suspected it was a ploy. No doubt a police sting to try to get her to confess to murder.

Her regret soon turned to anger. He never cared about me, he just wanted to solve a case. Something to show what a great policeman he is. A check-mark on his resume.

Well, maybe she would give him another case to solve, one close to home and his heart.

Raging with anger and letting her impulse take control, Monica grabbed her gun out of the safe. She dragged the heavy suitcase to her car and wrestled it into the trunk, slamming the lid closed. She had two hours before her flight left. Pulling her car into the street, she pointed it towards Sarah's bakery.
**************************************


Monica's Jaguar sped toward downtown Big Sky to Main Street where Sarah's bakery was located. Traffic was busy as it was quitting time for most businesses and workers were on their way home. Monica weaved in and out of lanes, her sleek Jaguar Coup narrowly missing the bumpers of the cars she cut in front of. She passed drivers, paying no attention to the dirty looks they threw her way.

After a time she slowed, knowing it wasn't wise to draw attention to herself. She took several deep breaths to calm herself and drove on at the speed limit.

Parking a few shops away behind the Dollar General, she walked to the bakery. Making arrangements to be met and Ubered to the airport, she kept her head down as she walked and worked her phone.

The sun was just setting and shadows were deepening along the tree-lined street. Monica stayed in the shadows as much as possible, her coat pulled up to hide part of her face, a knitted cap pulled down to hide her hair, her pony tail tucked up inside.

The lights inside the bakery allowed her to see a long line of customers getting a last snack or dessert for after dinner.

Monica watched as the line moved quickly. She fingered the gun hidden in one coat pocket, an illegal silencer in the other. As the line shortened, Monica made her way to the back of the shop, attaching the silencer. Trying the back door, she found it was locked. She debated whether to wait at the back of the shop or go through the front.

She knew by now Sarah was aware that she had poisoned her and would be watchful and on guard. She decided to wait in between the front and back exits so she could see the lights go out or hear the back door open. Monica leaned against the wall, not moving a muscle and staying quiet as death. The sun had gone down and she waited in the dark.

She had only an hour before the Uber driver would arrive and twenty minutes had already passed. Hearing the back door open she moved quickly. Rounding the side of the building she saw a blond woman carrying a trash bag to the dumpster.

Imagining Rob's reaction when he heard his precious Sarah was dead, Monica pointed the gun and pulled the trigger.

Walking quickly to her car, she pulled her suitcase out of the trunk and waited for the Uber out of the lights. When the driver arrived she asked him to please hurry, she was going to be late for her flight. She had a pang of remorse over leaving her beautiful new Jaguar behind. No doubt the police would find it and tear it apart looking for evidence, but she would be long gone by then.

Police cars and an ambulance, with lights and sirens blazing, passed as Monica's driver sped her to the airport.

"Something bad must have happened," the Uber driver commented.

Monica wanted to ignore him, but not wanting to draw attention to herself or cause the driver to look at her in his rearview mirror, she felt it prudent to answer.

"Yes, it would seem so. I hope it's nothing too serious."

She knew it wouldn't take the police long to figure out she had been driven to the airport. She had given a false name to her driver but it was a small town and the Uber business was small as well.

She had him drop her in front of the wrong airline, paying him in cash with a generous tip.

Walking into the airport terminal, she hurried to her gate after going through security. She had just minutes before they began boarding her flight to France.

Sarah waited inside the bakery for her cousin and baker's assistant, Nadine to come back after throwing out the day's trash. They had been busy much of the day, which was unusual. Today everyone was buying donuts for the office and desserts for after dinner.

She wanted to talk to Nadine about tomorrow's menu and started the dough for the scones as she waited. After ten minutes she began to wonder what was taking so long.

"She must have found someone to gab with," Sarah said aloud.

Going to the back door she called Nadine's name. Not getting a response she walked toward the trash dumpster. The motion sensor light came on, illuminating Nadine lying on the ground in a pool of blood.

"Nadine!" Sarah knelt beside her and pulling her phone from her pocket, dialed 911.




My grammar program showed no errors, so it must be broke. I'll have to depend on the you, the reviews to point out my 101 errors. You never disappoint me. =]

Monica Landers-a spoiled narcissist obsessed with Rob.
Jonathan Landers-Monica's Millionaire Father.
Rob Mitchell-Sheriff of Big Sky, Sarah's husband-Monica is pursuing him.
Sarah Mitchell-Wife of Rob, ex-detective, now a bakery owner
Martin Robinson - Sheriff's Lieutenant.
Nadine-Sarah's cousin and employee at the bakery
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.