Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 12, 2019 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Police dig into Monica's past

A chapter in the book Monica

Monica Chapter 13

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A narcissistic young woman invades the lives of newly weds, Rob and Sarah. She is determined to have Rob for herself. A series of murders led the police to suspect Monica may be a serial killer.
Ending of previous chapter: Rob returned to the hospital and found Sarah feeling much better and talking to the doctor.

"Hi. The doctor is telling me I was poisoned. And not food poisoning. I'm a bit freaked out. I hope it was nothing in the bakery. Just what I'd need, to poison a bunch of townspeople."

"I don't think it's in the bakery. I was just at the herb shop. The owner was found dead this morning. It seems he was poisoned and he dated Monica Landers."

Sarah's eyes got wide. "You don't think she poisoned me? I've had the feeling she doesn't like me, but would she try to kill me? That's crazy."

"I think we may be dealing with a crazy. Every dead body in the past few weeks is in some way connected to her. Even the guy in the car fire between here and Bozeman. She got him fired from his job. Martin's cousin is on the force in Bozeman and told him."

"What is wrong with me that I seem to attact crazy people?"

Rob took her hand. "Thank God you only got sick. Martin's digging into Monica's life to see what else we find. You don't just all of a sudden start killing people."

"You need to request a raise for Martin."

Rob nodded. "Did they say when you can go home? If you have to stay another night, I'm posting a guard at the door and spending the night."

****************

Rob planned to dispatch officers to Monica's home, but he wanted to be prepared with as much background info on her as he could get.

He and his lieutenant, Martin, dug in. It seemed tragedy and mayhem followed Monica everywhere she went.

She had attended three colleges, and been asked to leave each, until graduating first in her class from Harvard University. It was amazing what daddy's money could buy. Harvard never heard about her three previous attempts.

"Monica graduated first in her class at Harvard, so she's a smart girl. Must be the classes there were challenging enough to keep her attention or maybe daddy threatened to cut off her trust fund. At any rate, she seemed to stay out of trouble," Martin scanned the computer records.

Monica had left a path of destruction at the other universities and colleges she had attended. Ruining the reputation of several professors, destroying their lives and careers, not to mention their marriages.

Though the men had received large settlements and signed non-disclosure agreements, they were willing to speak in vague terms to Rob about their harrowing experiences with Monica. They couldn't be used to testify or even referred to at trial, if it came to that, but it gave Rob and Martin confidence that they were looking into the right person and a serial killer.

One of the deans referred to a student that had disappeared while Monica attended his University. An investigation turned up a witness that had seen Monica arguing with the young man, but no evidence was ever discovered that she had anything to do with his disappearance.

The dean, in his dealing with her, saw a cold, calculating sociopath and he had no doubt she had everything to do with the student's disappearance.

"She sounds like a real piece of work, but none of what we've turned up is hard evidence, not even enough for a warrant to search her place." Martin sighed in exasperation. "Can you believe she doesn't even have a parking ticket?"

Rob ran a hand over his face. "That doesn't surprise me. Between daddy's money and her brains, there's not much to go on. But I know she's who we are looking for and if we don't get her, she will continue to destroy lives and kill." Rob tossed his evidence book on his desk. "I doubt we can get her to confess or admit anything. We could never trick her into it. She will lawyer up as soon as she thinks we suspect her."

"Maybe we need to do a sting. Get one of our guys to feign interest in her, date her. Get her drunk." Martin smiled at his boss and ran his hand threw his close cropped hair.

"You know, that's not a bad idea," Rob smiled back.

"Are you kidding? She'd eat any of our guys alive. Who could we get? I don't think anyone here could pull it off. I know for sure she'd never go for me."

"What about me?"

"You?"

"Yeah. I've been thinking. She made sure Sarah was sick so she couldn't attend her dinner party, but went out of her way to try to get me to go. Why? I think Monica is attracted to more than just money and looks. She likes power too. She sees me as a person with power. The Chief of Police."

"She was at my wedding, I didn't invite her, I know Sarah didn't know her. You know, there is something familiar about her."

Rob got on the phone and asked permission to access his old reports from when he was with the Kalispie P D. In ten minutes he had permisson and got on his computer and signed in.

"Look at this." He turned his monitor so Martin could see it. "I have run into her before. Turns out that when I was a patrolman, I helped her when her car broke down. I made a report complete with a photo. I remember she wanted a picture with me and sent it to me. I put it in the report. She was younger but I don't doubt just as dangerous. She's a patient and very calculating person."

"This is too small-town for her. I can't see her staying here for long."

"If Monica has her sights on me, I'm sure she has big plans for me, and her daddy seems to get things done. She probably sees me becoming the President one day. President Robert Mitchell. Has a nice ring to it." Rob laughed.

Martin shook his head. "I don't like it. She is *bat, you know what, crazy. She's used a gun, fire, a hammer, and poison. Who knows how many guys she's killed. I don't like the thought of you being in the same room with her let along dating her. Sarah is going to have a fit."

"I'll deal with Sarah. We have to stop this nut-case or Sarah could be her next victim."

Martin shook his head again, but gave in. "You wear a wire and I'm there for everything."

Rob nodded. "First, let's have Doc go over all the forensics again with a fine tooth comb. Make sure nothing was missed. We just need one hair, a fiber, a partial fingerprint, anything."

"I'll give him a call, but you know Doc. He's already done that."





 




*bat, you know what, crazy refers to the common term: bat sh*t crazy. I don't cuss and Martin doesn't either so said it this way. =}

Monica-a spoiled narcissist obsessed with Rob
Rob Mitchell-Sheriff of Big Sky, Sarah's husband-Monica is pursuing him.
Sarah Mitchell-Wife of Rob, ex-detective, now a bakery owner
Martin Robinson - Sheriff's Lieutenant.
Nadine-Sarah's cousin and employee at the bakery
William Myers-Monica's lawyer and murder victim. She shot him and set his car on fire.
Matthew Whiting-Herbalist- murder victim-poisoned
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.