Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 11, 2019 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sarah and Monica meet for lunch

A chapter in the book Monica

Monica Chapter 10

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A narcissistic young woman invades the lives of newly weds, Rob and Sarah. She is determined to have Rob for herself.
Ending of Chapter 9 - "I don't know. There's something about her. Her smile never reaches her eyes. I get a strange feeling she hates me. I didn't want her to have my personal cell number, but she didn't ask for it. Why does she want to have lunch with me?"

"I have no doubt she hates me. She treated me like the hired help, which I am, but she was very cold and rude." Nadine stood with hands on hips. "I just don't understand it. I'm so wonderful."

Sarah laughed.

Nadine's face turned serious. "I agree she's a creepy one. I don't think you should have lunch with her."

"I'm curious now. Maybe I'll go, just to see what she's really after." Sarah fanned herself with the dinner invitation.

"Once a cop always a cop."

*************

"Look at this," Sarah handed Rob the dinner invitation from Monica when he got home. "I don't know how we made it into her little circle."

"Who is she?" Rob asked after reading the invite.

"She's that woman who drives the Jag - like a maniac most of the time."

"A woman came to the station last week in a Jag. She said there was some suspicious stuff around her place. I was leaving when she came in. But she never filed a report. I thought that was weird."

"Maybe you can find out if it was her at dinner."

"Do you want to go?"

"Not really, but I am curious as to why she invited us. Nadine says she is very exclusive about who she associates with. She invited me to lunch next week too. She acts friendly but the look in her eyes says she is not fond of me. I can't figure out what's going on."

"Maybe she's just lonely, wants to make some friends. Maybe your imagining the look in her eyes."

"I don't think so and she doesn't strike me as the type to get lonely. I want to find out what she really wants."


Monica sat in her favorite spot out on her balcony with her back to the mountains. Anna, her housekeeperand chef, couldn't understand how she could keep her back to such a magnificent view. She had not yet realized that to Monica nothing but her reflection was magnificent.

Anna watched her as she stared into space.

Monica was preoccupied with thoughts of her and Rob together. Once she had him to herself, they would have to move. She could never continue to live in this tiny town. They'd move to Bozeman near Daddy. She was sure he could help Rob get on the police force there. He'd never get anywhere in this town. It was a dead-end for his career. But in Bozeman, he could become Chief of Police and from there, the Mayor. Then on to Congress. She felt she'd make an excellent congressman's wife.

Sarah was such a plain little bumpkin. She would never push Rob to further his career like he needed to be. He needed a strong, confident woman at the helm. One who would steer him in the direction to becoming a great man. Once again she wondered what Rob could have seen in Sarah.

Monica picked up her cell and put in the number for the bakery. Sarah answered on the second ring.

"Elaine's Bake Shop."

"I'd like to speak with Sarah,"

"This is Sarah."

"Oh, hi Sarah. This is Monica Landers. I wanted to set a time for us to have lunch. Would tomorrow at noon at Olive B's be doable for you?"

"Okay, sure. That's fine."

"See you then."

Monica disconnected and smiled. Poor Sarah. She didn't want to kill Sarah. She just needed to be sick the night of the dinner party. Then Monica could have Rob to herself.

Sarah hung up and turned to Nadine. "Her highness has summoned me to lunch tomorrow at Olive B's. That's the top restaurant in Big Sky. I'll have to rob my piggy bank for this."

"I don't know, Sarah. It makes me uncomfortable to think of you being alone with her. If you don't think she likes you, what would be her reason for wanting to have lunch with you? I don't like it."

"Well, I'm going to find out I guess. I want to know what her game is. Why she's so anxious to have lunch with me. I feel like there is more behind it than just wanting to get to know me."

"Just be careful."

The next day at 11:55 am, Sarah left for Olive B's. She felt a bit nervous. She pulled into the parking lot at noon on the dot. Monica's jag sat in the parking lot. It glistened in the sunlight as if it had just been waxed.

As she approached the door, it opened and a smiling hostess greeted her. "Welcome to Olive B's"

"Thank you."

Monica had gotten a table and waved to her when she entered.

"Hi, Sarah. I took the liberty of ordering an appetizer. It should be here any minute."

Sarah settled into her chair and pick up the menu that lay on her plate. "Thank you, Monica, that sounds great. I'm hungry."

Sarah looked through the menu. The prices were steep, even for lunch. She looked for the cheapest item she could get.

"Please order anything you'd like, it's my treat."

"Oh, I can't let you do that."

"I insist. It was my idea, so my treat." Monica touched the back of Sarah's hand, leaving a drop of water behind.

"Oh, I'm sorry. My water glass in wet. I had them fill your glass as well and I put a bit of lemon in it. Hope you don't mind." Monica smiled sweetly, but again the smile didn't reach her eyes.

"That's fine." Sarah picked up her glass and took a drink. She was more nervous now that she was with Monica.

She was a stunning woman with her dark hair and vivid blue eyes. So blue, Sarah wondered if she wore colored contacts. She was dressed in a silk dove gray blouse with jeans and black, high heeled sandals. She looked like a model and Sarah felt a bit underdressed.

"Hum, this water has a strange taste." Sarah put the glass down.

"Oh no. I'm sorry, maybe it's the lemon. I'll have the waiter bring you another."

They ordered and made small talk until their food arrived. Monica dominated the conversation, telling of her growing up years, bragging about her father and her trust fund allowing her to live a lavish lifestyle without the inconvenience of having to work for a living.

Sarah marveled at her complete lack of humility and filter on how much one should brag about themselves. By the end of the lunch, Sarah knew much more about Monica but still had no idea as to why she wanted to have lunch with her. She showed no interest in Sarah or her life. She did ask several questions about Rob, but her interest in Sarah was minimal.

After they parted, and Sarah thanked her for the meal, she couldn't help but smile when alone in her car.

Returning to the bakery and finding an anxious Nadine, she filled her in on everything, including what she had for lunch.

"I can tell you with certainty that Miss Monica has no problem with her self-esteem. She has an extremely high opinion of herself. I still have no idea why she asked me to lunch, except to talk about herself. I think I was just an audience. It seems I was more nervous then I wanted to admit. My stomach is a mess now."

Sarah wasn't the only one who smiled when alone in her car. Monica was very pleased with how easy it was to poison Sarah. She wouldn't die, but she would be sick for the next few days. She now had to make sure Rob would still attend the dinner party without Sarah.




I have been stalling on the book as I'm going through my usual, 'okay what do I write next phase.' Sorry it's been so long. I know you are just dying for the next chapter. =}

Monica-a spoiled narcissist obsessed with Rob
Rob Mitchell-Sheriff of Big Sky, Sarah's husband
Sarah Mitchell-Wife of Rob, ex-detective, now a bakery owner
Martin Robinson - Sheriff's Deputy
Nadine-Sarah's cousin and employee at the bakery
Sadie-Asst Baker, part-time employee
Lonnie McGovern-Murder victim
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.