General Fiction posted August 3, 2019 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Monica attempt to be Rob to come to her home.

A chapter in the book Monica

Monica Chapter 3

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A narcissistic young woman invades the lives of newly weds, Rob and Sarah. She is determined to have Rob for herself.
From chapter 2 - The gas poured out over William and the car like a toxic rain. Trailing the gas out so she could be away from the car when the fire started, she used the lighter kept for the occasional cigarette to set fire to the gas trail. Monica watched, mesmerized by the flame licking up the gas trail and igniting the pool around the car. William's body was the first to be consumed, the interior of the car was next.

Monica ran to her car, knowing she would leave blood and gasoline on the inside of her beautiful new Jaguar. She'd be home in fifteen minutes and would wash out the car and burn her clothes. Throwing the gas can in the trunk, she got behind the wheel, praying it wouldn't get stuck.

She didn't turn on her lights and used the glow cast by the fire to show the way. The coup had plenty of horsepower and made it out of the grove easily. Making sure no cars were coming, she reentered the highway. Turning on her lights, she accelerated as she sped from the scene of her crime.

Stupid William! Look what he made her do. It was his fault. She couldn't allow him to ruin her chances with Rob. Beautiful Rob who would be home tomorrow from his honeymoon. She had such plans.

*******

Rob and Sarah were met at the Bozeman International Airport by Sarah's brother, Nathan and his wife, Janelle.

"Hawaii was wonderful. Beautiful weather every day, breathtaking scenery, and so relaxing," Sarah told them. "Our condo was right on the beach, so incredible."

"I'm glad you had a wonderful time. But you're not very tan for having been right on the beach," noted Janelle.

"Well, I got a bad burn the first day, so had to cover up the rest of the time. I did tan, but it peeled away, so disappointing. I wanted to be the envy of Big Sky."

"I told her to wear a suntan lotion with a higher SPF but she didn't listen. I was the smart one and used SPF 30," said Rob.

"Yeah, and you don't have any tan at all," Sarah teased.

"I'll get one soon enough working outside this summer. Seems we have to be outside all the time in Big Sky compared to Kalispell."

The couples stopped for dinner at a popular diner in Bozeman before getting on the road back to Big Sky.

"Look at that," Nathan said as they passed a fire burning up to the highway. "Do you think it's been reported yet?"

"I don't have any cell service. Let's pull over and check it out," Rob suggested.

Others had pulled over as well. "It's a car fire." A bystander told them. "Everything around it is going up, the brush, trees. I sent my wife down the road to get cell service and call the fire department. I think there is a person in there." The man shook his head. "What a way to go."

They all knew if a person had been in the car, there would be no saving them now.

Back on the road, the couples were rather subdued by the fact that a life had been lost. "Such a horrible way to die," said Janelle.

As they got closer to Big Sky, two fire trucks passed them, lights on and sirens blaring.
***

Monica pulled into her garage and hit the remote to close the door.

Getting out, she peeled off her jeans so she wouldn't smear blood anywhere else. She went into the house and threw them into the fireplace along with her blouse. Pulling on sweats and a t-shirt, she grabbed the upholstery cleaner the Jaguar dealership gave her, and a rag. She spent thirity minutes scrubbing the leather. There were only a few spots of blood and it all came out. She threw the rag into the fireplace and lit it.

She showered, getting the blood and gas smell off of her. Putting on a robe she poured herself a drink and went to sit by the fire. Her hand shook slightly as she brought the vodka to her lips. She soon steadied and pushed the murder out of her mind as she did with all the unpleasant things she had done in her life. She wouldn't think of it again after that night.
***

Rob didn't have to start work until Monday, but he went into the station after church on Sunday. He wanted to see if there was anything about the fire they had seen Saturday night.

The bakery was closed on Sundays but Sarah went to check on how things looked for Monday morning.

The bakery was pristine. Everything looked clean and neat. She was very happy with the assistants she'd left in charge, her cousin and a college student who worked part-time. She turned on the laptop and saw they had even made a profit and had a large order for a party. Sarah was thrilled.

She took a few leftover cookies to give to Rob and locked the shop.

Rob found the official report on a fire just outside of Big Sky along the highway. It had been a car fire and a man's body had been found next to the car. It looked like he tried to get out, and collapsed. An autopsy was being done and the body had not yet been identified. The car's license showed it was registered to a William Myers of Kalispell.

The brush had caught and spread the fire out about three hundred yards from the car. It had burned right up to the highway. The quick notification of the fire department had kept it from becoming a major forest fire.

Rob wondered what had caused the car to run off the road and burst into flame. It wasn't common for a car to start on fire after a crash, it happened, of course, but was not the norm. The fire department would, no doubt, look into it. He'd have a talk with the responding officer as well.

He was going out the door to leave when he saw a Jaguar coup pull into the parking lot. A beautiful young woman got out and walked up to the door. Rob pushed it open for her.

"I want to report some suspicious activity around my home," she told him. She flashed brilliant white teeth as she smiled at him.

"I'm not on duty right now, but you can report it to the desk sergeant and someone will go out to your home and have a look," Rob explained and left.

Monica was very disappointed that Rob wasn't on duty, and even more so that he hadn't paid more attention to her. Her only reason for being there to report the fake crime was to get Rob to come to her house.

She stood in the reception area debating what to do. Should she just go home or make a false report? Deciding to go home, she watched Rob leave, and went back out to the parking lot to her car. She sat there for a while thinking about her next move. The only way she could think to get Rob to her home was in an official capacity, investigating a crime. But he was the Sheriff, he might send someone else. Maybe this would require a bit more planning.

When Rob got home, he told Sarah the details he'd learned about the fire. "I wonder what made him drive off the road. Did he fall asleep, have a flat and lose control? People always drive too fast along that stretch."

"It's very sad someone died. That's the third accident along that route this year. Maybe they need to lower the speed limit."

"I'm sure people would obey it." Rob smiled.

"You could station a patrolman there, have him hide behind a billboard like in the old days. Think of all the tickets you could write. It would be a great source of revenue for the town."

Ignoring Sarah's attempt at being funny, Rob grabbed a bag off the table. "Hey, you didn't tell me you brought home cookies," Rob said, shoving one in his mouth.

"I didn't want you to ruin your appetite. We're going to my folks for dinner."

"I have never had a cookie ruin my appetite in my entire life." Rob put his arms around Sarah and kissed her neck, then went to change.

Monica stood in the shadows outside Rob and Sarah's home. She could see them through the window and cringed when she saw Rob kiss Sarah. What does he see in her?

After thirty minutes of watching, the garage door opened and a car pulled out. Oh, what luck. The house will be empty.

Monica waited until she was sure they wouldn't return and used the key she had made to open the front door. She smiled. It is amazing the things you could get people to do for the right amount of money. A payoff to the builder's assistant and she now had a key to her beloved's home.

She stood in the foyer and took a deep breath. It smelled like earthy musk, just like Rob. She looked around the living room, touching things as she made her way to the master bedroom.




Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) involves a pattern of self-centered, arrogant thinking and behavior, a lack of empathy and consideration for other people, and an excessive need for admiration. Others often describe people with NPD as cocky, manipulative, selfish, patronizing, and demanding. This way of thinking and behaving surfaces in every area of the narcissists life: from work and friendships to family and love relationships.

People with narcissistic personality disorder are extremely resistant to changing their behavior, even when its causing them problems. Their tendency is to turn the blame on to others. Whats more, they are extremely sensitive and react badly to even the slightest criticisms, disagreements, or perceived slights, which they view as personal attacks

Monica-a spoiled narcissist obssessed with Rob
Rob Mitchell-Sheriff of Big Sky, Sarah's husband
Sarah Mitchell-Wife of Rob, ex-detective, now a bakery owner
Nathan-Sarah's brother
Janelle-Nathan's wife
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.