Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 10, 2019 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
After a short hopsbital stay, Sarah is cleared to go home.

A chapter in the book A Light in the Darkness

Sarah goes home

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
Rookie detective Sarah Murray, investigates a serial case. Things are complicated by a stalker who has plagued her since college.
The Chief took Sarah from Rob and carried her into the house. She couldn't believe they were there. 'How did you find me?" she asked wiping tears from her eyes.

"Lots of good old-fashioned police work," the Chief said with a huge grin on his face. He was so relieved to have found Sarah safe, he was almost giddy. His arm was around her as the Rangers looked her over and gathered snow in baggies for her eye and ankle.

He kept his arm around her as they listened to the Ranger tell how they tracked her to David's car and came to realize he had her again. The Chief gripped Sarah's shoulder as if afraid she would disappear again.

******************
The Ranger told how they had followed the snowmobile tracks and then Sarah's footprints to the car; the license confirmed it was David Lawson's.

"The car was empty and didn't have a great deal of damage. Just dents and the right side was smashed against a tree. We figured he could have walked away from it with minor injuries. The footprints told us that two people had left the scene, and we called for backup and more searchers. We thought he'd more than likely go home, so we left the search and came back here."

Rob told her the sergeant at Yosemite Police HQ updated them that David's house had been located and gave directions.

"We got here about the same time the rangers did. We were just getting ready to go out searching when I heard you yelling. It was a beautiful sound."

"Well, you guys look beautiful, to me. I am so happy to see you. You don't know." Sarah had to keep wiping tears away. She was exhausted and overwhelmed. So much had happened in such a short time. It didn't seem real that Rob and the Chief were sitting beside her.

"What happened to David?" Rob asked, suddenly realizing they hadn't found him.

Sarah was so overjoyed to see Rob and the Chief, she almost forgotten about him herself. 

"Oh... I guess someone should help him. He was attacked by wolves at the bottom of the slope; by the tree line." But she knew there would be no helping David, and she felt relieved.

A siren could be heard in the distance, signaling that the ambulance was on its way.

Five officers ran to David's aid but returned shortly. "Better call the coroner."

Sarah was transported to the hospital and Rob went with her. They determined she had a broken ankle and a concussion, and she was kept overnight for observation. She was released to go home in the morning, with orders to check in with her own physician.

Rob stayed in her room all night, sleeping in a chair. Sarah fell asleep as soon as they put her to bed. The nurses woke her throughout the night to check on her, so she didn't get much rest.

Sarah knew there would be a few bad dreams, but she would never again have to be afraid that David Lawson would show up on her doorstep. She had refused to be taken to the hospital until she had seen his body for herself and knew he was really dead.

After Sarah had been signed out mid-morning by the doctor, the convoy headed back to Kalispell. The Chief rode back with one of the other officers. He wanted Rob and Sarah to have time alone.

Sarah sat in the back with her legs on the seat so she could keep her ankle elevated. She told Rob all that she had been through since being abducted by David. It was hard to believe it had only been a day. It felt like a lifetime. "He told me he killed Don Russell. It's weird to think of him as dead."

"Don isn't dead. He was badly wounded, but after surgery, the doctor said he'll fully recover. We haven't had a chance to talk to him to find out what he was doing with Rick Taylor, but we're going to find out today."

"I'm glad he's not dead. I just can't imagine that he was part of the killing. I just think I would have sensed it. He was my partner and we spent a lot of time together. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I sure hope I'm right."

"So do I. Speaking of partners, the boss gave me the resume of a guy transferring in from the one-nine. He has him picked for your new partner, but he seems too good to be true. I think he might be. I haven't talked to the Chief about it, but I think it was his way of getting me to step up." He looked at Sarah in the rearview mirror to see her reaction. She smiled.

"I haven't heard a thing about it. But I won't be needing a new partner. I've been doing a lot of thinking and I've decided to resign. Detective work isn't for me."

Rob looked at her in the mirror again, with wide-eyes and raised eyebrows. "You're kidding?"

"No, I've felt this way for months. I just hung on because I didn't want to disappoint the Chief. And I wanted to get this thing with Rick and Don solved. But my time with Lawson showed me how short life is. I don't want to spend it doing something I'm not happy in."

"So, what do you want to do instead?"

Sarah laughed. "You are never going to believe this. I want to bake. Well, own a bakeshop, anyway."

Again Rob gave her a wide-eyed stare.

"I know it doesn't seem to fit me, but I know a lot about baking, having done so much of it with my mom and grandma. And I actually took classes in high school and during college. I plan to go back to school to learn about running a business. Sounds crazy, I know."

"I don't think it's crazy, just a huge surprise. I love baked goods. But you're a great detective, Sarah. I'm not just saying that. You have all the right instincts for the job."

"Thanks, but I'm afraid I may be too obsessive. I think I'd burn myself out in a few years. I began to realize I wasn't enjoying it. My folks told me about this little doughnut shop in Big Sky. The owner is retiring next year and wants to sell. I figure a year will give me time to learn the business. It may not work out, but I want to try."

"Well, what could be more perfect than a cop selling doughnuts," Rob quipped.

Sarah laughed. She realized she was laughing a lot. She tried to think of the last time she had really laughed and was unable to. It was another confirmation that she needed to start loving what she did.

Back in Kalispell, Rob took Sarah home. She was still exhausted and had slept part of the way in the car. Rob helped her into bed and pulled the blankets over her. He went into the living room and laid down on the couch. He didn't want to leave her alone with a head injury.

Rob had carried a knot around in his stomach for a day and a half. He didn't think they would find her alive. Finally able to relax, he unfolded the quilt that Sarah kept lying over the back of the couch. He pulled it up to his chin and closing his eyes, he fell asleep.

Rob woke a few hours later and went to check on Sarah. She was sitting up.

"I'm so hungry," she told him. "I haven't eaten in forever. Are you hungry?"

Rob nodded and left to check her fridge. There were lots of fixing for a sandwich and he made them each a roast beef ,and warmed it in the oven.




Okay, I put this thru two grammar programs, so hope I did better this time. I
know it's not perfect, but I do hope it's better. Sorry not much excitement in this one. Now to wrap up the mystery behind what Don was doing.

Sarah Murray- Rookie Detective
Donald Russell-Sarah's ex detective partner
David Lawson - Sarah's stalker. It started in college.
The Chief- George Brenner, Chief of Detectives
Sgt. Rob Mitchell - 2nd in command behind the Chief
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.