Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 8, 2019 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sarah is rescued

A chapter in the book A Light in the Darkness

Rescue

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
Rookie detective Sarah Murray, investigates a serial case. Things are complicated by a stalker who has plagued her since college.
They'd been walking for twenty minutes and Sarah was limping. A blister was raising on the heel of one foot.

Car lights reflected off the snow ahead, and Sarah prayed it was the park ranger. David put the gun away and walked to the middle of the road, waving his arms.

I could run now, thought Sarah. But she was afraid he might hurt the driver, so she stayed.

The car stopped and behind the wheel was a woman with her young daughter. They looked at both Sarah and David, bloodied and limping, and showed immediate concern. "What happened? Were you in an accident?" the woman asked.

*************
"Yes," answered David. "My car hit black ice and spun off the road. It flipped and went down the embankment. Could you just give us a lift to our house?"

"Maybe I should take you to the hospital to get checked out," the woman said. Sarah hoped David would keep his cool. She was just a young mother, her daughter looked to be about six or seven. Sarah was afraid for her.

"No, we seem to be okay; no broken bones, anyway. I'll call my father when I get home. My cell must have flown out of my pocket when we crashed. Dad's a doctor. I'd rather have him look at us than wait in the ER," David responded. Sarah was relieved he was keeping calm.

The woman agreed to take them home. They got in the back seat and David gave her directions to the house. "The roads are so dangerous this time of year. It is scary to drive," she said.

"Yes, I'm new around here and I found that out." David replied. He held the gun to Sarah's side. She could feel him shaking and hoped the woman wouldn't say anymore, David would only keep his cool for so long.

Sarah saw car lights ahead and the park rangers pass them. A few minutes more and she could have been saved.

The women pulled up to the house and Sarah's heart sunk.

David grabbed her arm as they exited the car. He thanked the woman, and offered to pay for her time and gas.

"Oh, don't be silly. What kind of person would I be to take a reward. Now, are you sure you're going to be okay?"

"Yes, I'll call my father right away. He's not far from here. Thank you so much and have a good night." David waved. Sarah was so glad he let her go.

He laughed. "I'm a good actor, am I not?"

He nudged Sarah like they were having fun. She nodded. "Oscar worthy," she answered.

She knew it was now or never. If he took her back in the house, she could die or be held captive for who knows how long.

Taking the knife from her pocket, she turned toward David. He smiled and went to put his arms around her. She plunged the knife into his chest, as hard as she could.

With a shocked look on his face, David staggered back. Sarah ran. She headed for the darkest place she could find, around the side of the house and down the back slope.

She heard David yell, "I'll kill you, Sarah!"

She doubted she had seriously wounded him. He had on a thick winter coat, but she had given herself a head start. Her blister screamed as she worked her way down the slope. Tripping on a rock, she fell and heard a crack. A sharp pain shot through her ankle. She began to roll, gaining speed as the slope got steeper. Scared to death, she worried the slope could end on a cliff.

Flinging her arms out, she tried to grab a hold of something to stop herself. Coming to a sudden halt, she groaned as she hit a line of bushes. A large grove of trees stood just beyond them. She tried to get up, but her ankle wouldn't allow her to walk. Crawling into the dense bushes, she lie there catching her breath.

She didn't know there were flood lights at the back of the house, but David turned them on, and the slope above her lit up. The light didn't reach to where she hid and she lie still and quiet.

She could hear David screaming her name. He shot the gun in the air. "I'm coming for you, Sarah!"

Sarah didn't move. She could see he had a flashlight now, it was one of those that gave off a bright, wide beam.

She clenched her fists. He would find her and she would die. David had taken so much from her, and now he would take her life. She'd never see her family again, or Rob. She really liked Rob. Lying there, she silently prayed, please Lord,  please save me from this lunatic.

She could hear his heavy breathing coming closer. Looking around, she knew there was no where to go. She'd never make it to the trees with her ankle as it was. David stood over her, shining the flashlight in her eyes. "Hello, Sarah."

Tears filled her eyes. She put her hands up. "Wait David..." He pointed the gun at her head. The next moment a huge black shadow leaped out of the trees, knocking him to the ground.

Sarah heard growling and snarling, and David screamed. Two more black shapes joined the first. She heard more screams from David, then just a gurgling sound and wolves feasting.

After a few minutes, Sarah rolled on to her belly, bitting her lip to not cry-out in pain, and quietly inched herself along. She didn't want to the the wolves second entree. When she was far enough away, she crawled up the hill as fast as she could, staying in the shadows.

Halfway up the slope she saw police lights and heard radios. She called out, hoping someone would hear her. Someone did. She stood on one foot, and waved her arms to make herself more visible. Rob Mitchell ran down the slope to meet her. He held her close for a moment, then picked her up and carried her back up the hill. He yelled for someone to call a medic.

The Chief took Sarah from Rob and carried her into the house. She couldn't believe they were there. 'How did you find me?" she asked wiping tears from her eyes.

"Lots of good old-fashioned police work," the Chief said with a huge grin on his face. He was so relieved to have found Sarah safe, he was almost giddy. His arm was around her as the Rangers looked her over and gathered snow in baggies for her eye and ankle.

He kept his arm around her as they listened to the Ranger tell how they tracked her to David's car and came to realize he had her again. The Chief gripped Sarah's shoulder, as if afraid she would disappear again.




Almost to the end. I have a few more surprises in store, and wrapping up of some loose ends, answering all the questions about Don and than a happy ending? Maybe.

Sarah Murray- Rookie Detective
Donald Russell-Sarah's ex detective partner
David Lawson - Sarah's stalker. It started in college.
The Chief- George Brenner, Chief of Detectives
Sgt. Rob Mitchell - 2nd in command behind the Chief
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.