General Fiction posted April 27, 2019 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The war ends and the warriors return home

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

The final Chapter

by Roxanna Andrews


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.


"Yes, you should have killed me long ago, for today, I shall end your life." Joshua drew his sword and plunged it into Lucas' heart. Lucas held his gaze until the light faded from his eye. He fell to the ground and lay dead among his men scattered on the battlefield.

Dyster breathed his flame and fire consuming Lucas' body along with many others who lay around him.

The huge black monster, bloodied and weakening, fled from his attackers and flew to the ground. He searched and found nothing but a few charred bones of the man he had bonded with. He screamed and took to the skies, shooting flame as he rose. His rage consumed him and his flame found one of the dragons, killing it and sending dragon and rider spiraling downward. The rider burned, but alive, jump to another dragon before hitting the ground.

Dyster would not be held back from facing off with the massive dragon. He knew the scent of his father, but it didn't deter him. He also got the scent of his mother and Ond-Natt. They were his enemy and he would destroy them.

Joshua held on, shielding himself behind Dyster's neck as the huge black beast continued to shoot fire. Dyster flew low to the ground. Spinning, he dropped Joshua to the ground and went to face his father on his own. Joshua called after him, but he paid no heed.

Riddare came out of the woods and stood beside Joshua, never taking his eyes from the sky and his companion. Joshua put a hand on his head and they watched together.

Focused on his mission, Dyster came up full speed beneath the black dragon, hitting him in the middle of his underbelly. The beast's fire was choked off as he struggled to breath. Dyster breathed white hot flame aimed at the beast's unprotected belly. He screamed as a hole appeared where leathery skin had once been. Fluid and blood poured from the gaping wound. The dragon flew to the woods to hide himself. His screams echoed off the mountains and lasted several minutes until they were stilled.

Dyster flew down to Joshua, who put out a hand. He brought his head low and Joshua rubbed his snout.

"You are a disobedient beast, but you have saved us all," he said as he stroked the magnificent animal. Dyster moved his head up and down as if he understood Joshua words of praise.

The allied dragons landed nearby, and Lyse came to stand beside her husband.

The warriors had rounded up the horses that had run off when the woods caught fire. They rode out, many bloodied and battered. They cleaned their swords and axes as they rode.

"We need not worry about that monstrous beast again," said Cedric. "He is no more. Now to take care of the other." The soldiers rode to were Mot-Voldsom languished in the undergrowth, bleeding and half blind. The men and women made quick work of ending her life. They brought a wagon and began cutting her into pieces. The meat from the two dragons would feed the men and women for many days.

Joshua sent a group of warriors to sweep through the encampment in search of enemy soldiers who might be hiding. They rounded up those they found and brought them together with those that had surrendered. It was decided they could continue to live in the encampment. Joshua would leave them there with a promise to live peaceable unless threatened.

Jarle would live with them as a leader. He had a heart for the men who had suffered such torturous conditions under Lucas. It gave the older man a renewed purpose in life. Jarle would live to be one hundred and many tales would be told of his bravery and strength. The encampment would eventually move to the Wahaland Valley.

The women who wish to go to the fortress would be taken there, but they chose to stay with the men and help care for them. They had been together a long while, and had become like family.

The night was fully upon them now and they would stay the night and leave for Wahaland and the fortress early the next morning.

The women prepared a feast of dragon meat, vegetables and fruit from the gardens they tended. There was no mead as it was kept in Lucas' tent and it had been burned, however, the men welcomed the cold water from the stream close by. They ate well and fell asleep, exhausted.

The next morning before the sun was up, the weary warriors began the trek home. Most rode the horses, rather than being taken by dragons, as they had come. They wanted to honor the dead and wounded by riding beside them.

Joshua chose to ride as well, along with Lyse and his mother, Nyla. Dyster refused to leave him, so he walked beside the horses, at times taking to the skies, but always returning to Joshua's side. Riddare, still hurting from his burns, rode on Dyster's back.

Eric and Drake laid their father's body in a wagon packed with snow, along with the rest of the dead. They rode on either side of it, and with tears in their eyes, they sang the songs of their people. Ancient songs that were sung over brave warriors who had lost their lives in battle.

When they came near to Wahaland, Eric and Drake turned off with their father's body. There would be nothing left of the village as Lucas had burned it to the ground, but they wanted to have Goran's death ceremony in the place that he was born. The army of warriors followed.

"You need not go with us. Go home to your families, they must be anxious to see you," Eric told them.

"We will stay, we want to honor Goran," said one of the Nubian generals. "He was a mighty warrior."

Joshua agreed. "We are only a day away from the fortress. We will stay here for the night and show our respect for Goran."

Joshua sent a rider ahead to let Augdon know they had made it to Wahaland. He sent a list of those who had died so families could be told.

Many came from the fortress for the ceremony. There were joyous reunions with family as well as mourning over the dead. The death rite for Goran and the others, who had sacrificed their lives, took place two days later at sunrise. Many gave testimony of the bravery of their fellow warriors. The bodies were wrapped in ceremonial clothes brought from the fortress as all had been destroyed at Wahaland. The dead were laid to rest in a spacious cave. A stone was rolled over the opening to keep animals away. It took twenty men to roll the stone in place.

When the three hour ceremony ended, another feast was prepared to celebrate their victory and the lives of the dead.

Those who had lived in Wahaland all their lives, stayed there and began to rebuild. Soon there were many dwellings occupied by growing families. The men returned to their trades, to the fields and opal mines. Life went on.

In the weeks that followed, Joshua learned he was to be a father. He built a home in Wahaland next to the woods and watched his son grow. More children followed and the village thrived. 

Nyla came to live in Wahaland with Joshua, until she married a widower of her own age. He had grown children and many grandchildren which brought her great joy along with Joshua's. She taught them archery and sword fighting, and how to hunt without making a sound.

Valdig, the grandfather of Augdon and great grandfather to Joshua, the one who saw visions, died a year after the great battle. His body was laid to rest in the cave with the other warriors of Wahaland.

Joshua became the council head. He lived to ninety eight, and along with his wise counsel, was the greatest swordsmen the village had known. No one could best him, even into his late eighties. His skills are legendary to this day.

He walked tall and straight his whole life, and his violet eyes never lost their shine. Two more battles were fought with Joshua as captian, defeating invaders who coveted the rich land of Wahaland Valley. His name Gulbrandr-God's Sword, given him in his vision, was well earned. He had five sons and many grandchildren and he taught them all the listen to the voice of God. He proceded Lyse in death by only three months. It is said Lyse died of a broken heart. There were songs written and stories passed down through the generations, of Joshua's and Lyse's great love for one another.

Dyster and Riddare lived in the woods beside Joshua's house for the rest of their lives. Riddare healed from his burns, but the hair on his side never grew back. He was a vigilant watchman over Joshua's children, never leaving their side when they ventured into the fields or woods. Riddare lived to be thirty years, which was a long life for a mountain cat.

Dyster sorely missed his companion and mourned him many months. Joshua's children and grandchildren kept him occupied and he was content. Dyster lived to be one hundred and seventy years and remained a brilliant blue all his days. He was cared for by Joshua's desendents all his life.

************************


Hamish and Lydia traveled many miles after fleeing the encampment and Lucas. They hoped to get as far from his reach as they could. After ten days they came to a burned out village, the inhabitants beginning to rebuild.

"Do not speak," Hamish told Lydia. "I will do all the talking."

Upon seeing the riders, the men surrounded the couple with clubs and axes. A man in-charge stepped up. "What do you want?" he asked, holding an ax in both hands.

"We come in peace. My wife and I are fleeing a madman who attacked our village. We fled with just our lives and our child. We are tired and hungry. We just want a bit to eat and we will be on our way."

The man put the ax down, seeing the tiny child. "A madman attacked our village as well. His army was painted blue and they had flying beast that spat fire. They took away many of our men and women, and killed many more. We, you see here, are all that is left. We haven't much, but what we have, you are welcome too."

Hamish smiled, grateful his half truth had won over the leader of this group of rag tag men and women. If he used his words and charm to his advantage, he would take control of this small band.

The village grew over time. Hamish and Lydia settled in, having children and doing all they could to bind the people's heart to them. Hamish was soon an elder and adviser to the people. He had glorious plans for them.




Here's the last chapter! Let us rejoice and do the dance of joy . =} I hope I ended it well. I don't think there will be a sequel. =}

Thank you SO MUCH to those who have stuck with it. I truly appreciate it from the bottom of my tiny heart.

Joshua-Meaning 'Salvation, To Save'-The Chosen One
Gulbrandr-Meaning God's Sword. In his vision Joshua was told his name would be changed to Gulbrandr, though he was still referred to a Joshua.
Drake & Eric- Joshua's Uncles
Goran-Drake, Eric & Nyla's father, Joshua's Grandfather
Augdon-Trained Joshua as a warrior. Lyse's father
Jarle-Augdon and Cedric's father. Captured by the horde a year before.
Cedric-Augdons brother, Lyse's uncle. Captain of the horsemen
Valdig_Joshua's great grandfather. He saw the vision of Joshua leading an army against Lucas.
Lyse-Meaning 'Light'-Joshua's wife
Nyla-Joshua's mother
Lucas-Leader of the Horde
Lydia-Lucas' wife
Hamish-Wahaland Spiritual leader and trouble maker, also Lucas' brother.
Dyster- Meaning 'Blue'- Huge blue dragon reserved for Joshua.
Riddare- Meaning 'Companion'-Mountain cat, Dyster's companion.
Ond-Natt- Meaning 'Evil Night'-Huge black dragon, Dyster's brother, Lucas's secert weapon.
Mot-Voldsom-Meaning 'Fierce Mother'-Dyster's mother, huge black dragon
Mead- a drink similar to beer.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.