Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted April 18, 2019 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Trams, Medical Changes & So On.

A chapter in the book Geoff's Ramblings

Mixed Ramble - Part 2

by Sankey




Background
This and the last chapter should be read together read the previous one first then this one.
In some ways, this is a continuation of the previous chapter, but first, a new diversion:

Since we no longer have a vehicle, I have been enjoying travels around our immediate area and further afield, northwest and up to our sister city, Newcastle, 100 miles North of Sydney.

I had been curious to check out the new "Light Rail" in Newcastle which replaced the old "heavy rail" consisting of a number of level crossings causing havoc with traffic flow around the inner city region.

Things have changed, drastically around Newcastle due to the cessation of a lot of industry there formerly providing work for thousands of employees. Part of the industry involved coal mining and the movement of the product of that industry.  I believe there might have been some shipbuilding there as well, at one time.

I would love to take Louise (my wife known to some of you as Tootsie55) up there, but it would be too long on the train to and from, and not comfortable for her that long period (3 hours there and back...total of 6 hours) stuck in her power chair. Unfortunately, we can only transfer her to and from her chair using the Ceiling Hoist I am pretty sure I have mentioned elsewhere, that is installed above her bed here at home.

We are, however, now getting her on the public bus in the specially fitted "wheelchair friendly" buses in the designated area. Probably the longest trip we will ever do together apart from the wheelchair taxi ones will be at the end of the month. 

We are going to go to the local railway station on one of our "wheelchair friendly*" buses and with assistance from rail staff board a train. We have one train change, where we will get assistance again from rail staff on and off. Once we reach the final railway station we again will be helped off and then board another *"wf" bus that will take us to within a mile of my wife's family home. I don't mind the walk.

Father-in-law lashed out and had a ramp made for their back door entry into their house so Louise could get in with her power chair for Christmas. Because of some changes in the family, the normal arrangements for Christmas were not to be utilized and mom-in-law was keen to still do something for Christmas at their house instead. Hence the new ramp for Louise's chair. We told them had he got the ramp organized sooner we could have visited a lot sooner instead of them having to come all the way out here to see us all the time. (Eastwood where they live, is around 10 miles North of the city or around 22 miles East of us.)

Coming in on my first edit; I did not talk about the Link in the author notes to my 2 visits into our city of Sydney. On the first visit, an old friend was my guide and host. On the second trip, earlier this month, I did it all on my own. I need to add a map of my walk for that trip. Come back again later.

Now some updating of information from my last chapter.

I spoke of a further Sleep test to determine if I had a more involved version of Sleep Apnoea, "Central" as opposed to "Obstructive."  The Central kind was said to be due to aging as well. Fortunately, the sleep test determined I do have some periods of the "Central" type Apnoea but there will be no need of the more expensive CPAP* machine.

In my last chapter, I spoke of Hydrocortisone Medication for the Adrenaline Insufficiency.  A side effect of this medication is increased weight. My Endocrinologist has reduced my dose of the Hydrocortisone to try and address the increased weight. However, I am also now on Insulin as mentioned in the poem I wrote and mentioned in the author notes. This, too, contributes to increased weight.

As regards the Insulin, there have been a few changes. After a lot of testing and trials on different levels, I am now on 24 units before breakfast of a longer acting Insulin and 50 units with the evening meal. At lunchtime, I am on a shorter acting Insulin at 4 units. 

There was some "tooing and froing" over the large insulin dose and the smaller one. Finally, we have settled on the regime as above except when we are out for the day and I have a large main meal at lunchtime.  The Diabetic Educator had suggested I do the large Insulin dose at the same time as the large meal, whether in the middle of the day or at home at night. The smaller dose would be exchanged, accordingly. It took the Endocrinologist a while to agree to this arrangement. She was pretty set on the large INsulin always being at night before the evening meal.

We go out a lot for appointments and Louise has to accompany me to assist with hearing the doctors and so on. This is especially so for initial new specialist appointments which seem to be on the increase as I age.

Another issue of the Hydrocortisone med is increased blood pressure. My GP has now increased one of my blood pressure meds to try and get the blood pressure down a little. I have done a few blood pressure reading on my own machine and I detect some lowering in that area since the change in the bp meds. For years, on my previous dose before the Hydrocortisone, my blood pressure was perfect, all the time.

Again, for my first edit; I omitted to talk about the yellow "sharps" container. Seeing I am on a lot more blood sugar readings, and the insulin injections, the "sharps" are on the increase. I recently needed to get rid of a full bottle of sharps I thought the chemist would take. Alas, not so.  I decided to take the full bottle with me to the hospital on the next visit to the dietitian, to leave them at the hospital. What did I do?  I brought them all the way home again by accident. Thankfully I had a fasting blood test next morning here at home and the pathology collector kindly offered to take the sharps bottle away.

I had mentioned in my poem about Urinary Tract Infections# being another regular side effect of the Hydrocortisone. I am now pleased to report that following an appointment with a Urologist, there had been a big change. At my second appointment with the Urologist, he proposed I have a "Flow" test done. After that test that determined my bladder was not emptying completely, hence resulting in the UTI from urine remaining in the bladder. My #UTI was not of the usual kind with the burning symptom that comes with passing urine. It turns out it was associated with the Prostate gland. In this case, there is no normal burning symptom. It only showed up on a blood test.

Months after the second Urologist appointment he saw me again. I have to tell you, for a hearing-impaired person it was most difficult. The Urologist, a lovely Indian man (from the subcontinent, not a Native American) had a strong accent and spoke at about 100 miles an hour. It was just as well I had Louise along to help me. He discussed the flow test and said I could either have some meds to correct it or he could do a small procedure. He also gave me the option of working it out myself by waiting after urination for a few minutes, then complete the exercise until my bladder was cleared.  I have been doing this for some time, now and there have been no more UTI. This, I was pleased to report to the Urologist on what I hope will be my last appointment for a long time to come.  

Lastly, I want to talk about a rash I got on both my legs.  Many years ago I had a blood test that determined I was allergic to Grass and Weed. Joking ok...so I knew I had to give up the "Mary Anna" as my Dad called the dope weed.

Recently, on noticing the rash on both my legs I wondered if it had come from the grass on a reserve I was traversing to get to the bus stop, about a half-mile from our house.  I consulted the doctor who, thankfully, diagnosed it as a virus.   I am so glad it has gone now. Hope you enjoy the pictures and links in the notes.

 



Recognized


I suggest readers might like to check out the previous chapter so you can see some things have changed in this one. Also the following link to a poem I wrote for a now passed contest, related to this and the last chapter, as well.

The Rage Of Age



I also understand it might be possible for even those of my FS followers who are not Facebook Friends to check out the Album I made on my Facebook of the trips into our city in November last year and again earlier in April this year. Some of the photos I have included are also in the album link below.

City visits first time in 20yrs, November 2018 and again in April 2019


*CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airways Pressure.

Index to photos on this chapter:
Top 1.Newcastle tram 2 & 3 George Street in Sydney CBD with new tram lines going in.
2nd row:1.More George Street tramlines 2. Disabled seat designation on the bus.
3. Sharps container
3rd row:1.Rash on my legs. 2.Blood Sugar Levels (I understand they are indicated differently in USA.)
4th Rom 1. Medic Alert Medallion.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.