Horror and Thriller Fiction posted March 21, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A young woman encounters a girl with lifeless eyes

The Girl with Dead Eyes Part 1

by Roxanna Andrews


Lauren Taylor pulled out of her parking place at her job and started the short commute home. She was glad she lived close by. It was Friday and she had been busy all week helping fill in for sick co-workers. The flu had hit their department hard and she was tired.

As Lauren passed the line of trees just outside the office building, she saw a woman standing in worn clothes. Homeless no doubt, thought Lauren and her heart went out to her. As she passed, the woman locked eyes with her and Lauren felt a shiver of apprehension.

The woman was really a young girl, maybe eighteen at the most. She had dark auburn hair that hung in dirty strands around her pale face, but it was her eyes that were the most disturbing. They were huge and had no life. It was as if the person looking at her were dead.

Lauren turned away and unconsciously sped up. She took a deep breath to calm herself. She was just tired and being fanciful. She reached over and turned up her radio, singing along with the song playing to occupy her mind.

She came to the stop sign and the girl was standing beside it. How had she gotten there so fast? She again locked eyes with Lauren and the same dead look was there.

Turning right as quickly as traffic would allow, Lauren drove past the girl and didn't look at her again. She traveled without incident until the railroad crossing and when she again saw the girl standing beside the crossing gate. This time Lauren turned away and hit the gas harder, speeding past her. Needing to change lanes, Lauren looked in her side view mirror and saw the girl in the passenger seat of the car in the next lane. The vehicle came up even with Lauren and the girl looked over. Lauren didn't wnat to look, but she couldn't stop herself.

What do you want? Lauren looked straight ahead and slowed so the vehicle would pass her, then changing lanes, got on the toll way.

Lauren felt a fear creeping into her soul. Was it back? Why now?

Lauren felt a sense of relief when she turned into her neighborhood. The familiar tree-lined streets gave her a feeling of security. Hoping her husband was home, she hit the garage door button, but the garage was empty. Not wanting to be home alone, she texted her best friend and neighbor, Carla, and asked if she could come by.

SURE COME OVER, she replied.

Lauren backed out of her driveway and made the short drive to her friend's house. On the way she thought of the last time she had seen a person like the girl with dead eyes. Her heart skipped a beat thinking the gift might be back.

Her family had called it a gift, but seeing spirits was not something most people would be happy about. She had always only seen family members, a cousin or aunt who died, never a stranger. The gift had left her by her junior year of college and she was so relieved. It was horrible waking up to a dead relative standing beside your bed. Was the gift back? Was she seeing the spirit of a dead relative? Her mom hadn't said anything about a family member dying.

Should she tell Carla about it? Lauren worried she would think she was crazy. Maybe she should just keep It to herself. She had never told anyone about her gift, not even Rick and she didn't want to start now.

As she pulled into her friend's driveway, the girl suddenly appeared in front of her car. Lauren slammed on her brakes and closed her eyes. When she opened them the girl had gone. Turning off the engine, she quickly exited the vehicle and almost ran to the front door, knocking a bit harder than she meant to.

Carla opened the door. "Are you okay?" 

"Yes, just not in the mood to be alone. Rick's not home yet."

Lauren nodded, but Carla could tell something wasn't right with her friend.

"Are you sure you're okay? Did something happen at work?"

"No, nothing, I'm just so tired and stupid. I watched a scary movie last night and now I'm afraid to be alone." Lauren lied. She flopped down on Carla's comfy couch. "I've been having to do double the work at the office this week with so many out sick. I'm just really tired."

"Sorry, doesn't sound like much fun, and I know about not wanting to be alone after watching a scary movie. Been there, done that."

Lauren laughed and was beginning to relax. Carla had a calming effect on her. She was a great friend and Lauren had been so excited when she moved in down the street. They had met their freshman year of college and become instant best friends. Carla had even introduced her to her husband, Rick. He was a good friend of Carla's husband.

"Why don't you and Rick come for dinner, I've invited the Michells, but I have a ton of food. I know Ryan would love to have Rick here, it'll be fun."

That sounded so good. Being with friends would keep her mind busy.

"Are you sure? We don't want to intrude."

Carla assured her it would be fine. Texting Rick, she told him Carla and Ryan had invited them to dinner. He texted back saying he'd be there soon.

Dinner and the time after were pleasant. Lauren almost forgot about seeing the strange girl, but Rick could sense something was wrong. Lauren seemed a bit off and after arriving home, he badgered her until she gave in and told him something, but not the truth.

"Okay, okay. I'm just tired and feeling a bit depressed. I think all the stress at work has gotten to me. I'm sure I just need a good night's rest and I'll be fine."

"Maybe you need to call Dr. Avery if you're feeling depressed. Could be you need a meds adjustment," Rick said, pulling her close and giving her a kiss.

Rick could be right. She suffered from depression, but it was well controled with medication. That was another reason she didn't want to tell Rick or Carla about her seeing ghosts, and why she feared they would think she was crazy. Maybe a medication adjustment would make the visions disappear too.

Lauren nodded. "I'll call the doctor Monday."

Lauren was asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow, but her dreams were of the girl with the dead eyes.

Still feeling tired, Lauren woke up early the next morning. She fixed a cup of coffee and opened her laptop to check emails and facebook. After signing on, her screen flashed, then went black.

"Oh great!"

Lauren hit enter several times and a picture of the girl appeared on the screen. She slammed the laptop shut.

She got up and refilled her coffee cup and stood a while by the sink, working up her courage. Lauren slowly lifted the laptop lid and the picture was gone. With a sign of relief she signed into her facebook account.

At the top of her news feed was a picture of the girl, but she didn't have dead eyes in this picture. Under it was a caption:


15 Year Anniversary of Disappearance. Still no trace of young Kansas girl.




I don't know where this came from. I kind of freaked myself out writing it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.