Fantasy Fiction posted March 8, 2019 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Lucas discovers Joshua's encampment.

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

Lucas Calls His Men to Battle

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
Lucas learns Joshua is waiting at an encampment just miles away.
As soon as Joshua landed Dyster, his uncles came to him.

"Our spies reported that Lucas has burned Wahaland," Drake said with angry tears in his eyes.

"He and his black beasts attacked before sunrise. He was angry to find the village deserted, the fire spitting dragons burned everything. Nothing is left." Erik almost spat the words.

Joshua shook his head, "I am sorry uncles. Have they returned to the encampment?"

"Not yet, Lucas wants to be sure everything burns to the ground," Drake said, shaking his head.
******

Lucas was greatly disappointed when he arrived at Wahaland and saw it was deserted. His anger burned all the brighter after his wife's failure to give him a son. He wasn't used to things not going his way and was in a foul mood. He gained a bit of satisfaction from burning down all the buildings, but his hand iched to use his sword. He ordered his men back to the encampment, his pride stinging.

Lucas jumped from the back of the black dragon and the beast hissed at him, showing his hatred of the man. Lucas had been brutal to him on the ride back to the encampment, kicking his sides hard and the beast was angry. Finding the village empty had him in a rage and he took out his frustration on the dragon.

"Where is my brother?" he demanded.

"He rode out on his horse this morning and has not returned. I have men out looking for him. He has been gone since sunrise. He may have lost his way when the snow started." The man eyes betrayed his fear. He knew the unpredictable moods of his master and feared for his life.

It was not unusual for Hamish to go for a ride at sun up. He hated the confines of the encampment and found the people almost unbearable. He often rode out to be alone. Lucas did not think Hamish would stay much longer. He was not used to these living conditions. Lucas had begun to see how spoiled his brother was and found him of little use.

Better that he move on then be a hindrance to me, Lucas thought. He felt no attachment to his brother and would not be sorry to see him go.

"Let me know when he returns." Lucas turned on his heels and went to torment his wife, Lydia.

He no longer considered her his wife, but he felt the need to rid himself of his pent up rage. He found her tent deserted, but she was often in the company of the other women of the encampment, so he thought little of it.

Frustrated by the fact that he had no outlet for his anger, Lucas had his horse saddled. He was usually very proud of his horse with its golden mane, a horse fit for a king. He always sat tall in the saddle, and cantered for all to see, but today he pulled roughly on the reins and ran the horse until he slowed, wheezing, his breathe coming in large white clouds.

He pondered the meaning of the deserted Wahaland village. Why would they leave the valley with its rich soil, plentiful game and protection from the winter winds? Had the opal mines run out? He knew they depended on them for trading for goods. Where would they go?

Lucas had ridden just a short distance, and in the quiet of the day, he heard sounds of horses and men. He thought it his own encampment at first, but the sound came from the west. He stood in his stirrups to get a better look, but could see nothing.

He rode a few miles further and the sounds became clearer. His pickets had reported nothing about seeing another encampment. Looking to the sky, he saw a mammoth green beast, a dragon circling. His heart pounded in his chest as he turned his horse and broke into a full gallop. Now he knew where the Wahalanders had gone.

Joshua was here.

He had been distracted lately by Hamish and his wife and had been caught unawares. He had become too complacent or was this Hamish's doing? Had he come to distract him and keep his mind busy with other things? Was he in league with the Wahalanders?

He should have known his brother would never leave Wahaland. He could never be on his own. If Lucas men had not found him and brought him to the encampment, he would have been dead of cold or starvation or worse. The wolves had been on his scent, ready to attack. But had it all been a ploy?

Lucas cursed himself for being a fool. He rode into the encampment yelling for his pickets. Why had they not discovered the enemy almost on their doorstep.

The guards lined up before him, terrified of the look they saw in their master's eyes. "What have you been doing, you fools. Do you not know our enemy waits at our door to destroy us? Ready the men for battle!"




Joshua and his men wait to attack at an encampment behind a treeline 10 miles out. Hamish and Lydia have run off together.

Joshua-The Chosen One
Drake & Eric- Joshua's Uncles
Jarle-Augdon's father
Cedric-Augdons brother, Lyse's uncle. Captain of the horsemen
Lyse-Joshua's wife
Nyla-Joshua's mother
Lucas-Leader of the Hoard
Lydia-Lucas' wife
Hamish-Wahaland Spiritual leader and trouble maker, also Lucas' brother.
Dyster- Huge blue dragon reserved for Joshua.
Riddare-Mountain cat, Dyster's companion.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.