General Poetry posted October 13, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The need to wander and explore

No Roots for Me

by Roxanna Andrews



I'll not be 'putting down roots,' that's not for me.
For now I wish to be foot loose and free.

There are many in this world who feel as I do,
Being rooted, these days, is not the rule.

So don't fence me in, don't make me stay in one place,
I'll cut off my root and present my case.

I wish to roam the land, maybe even the sea,
I love my family and friends, but I gotta be me.

And 'Me,' for now, wants to be on the move,
Please don't put a hitch in my plans or a kink in my groove.

I have my hatchet in hand, so they'll be no roots for now,
No worldly goods will I anyone endow.

Don't think that I long to be far from you,
When it comes to family and friends none other will do,

But I have the wanderlust, the need to roam and explore.
And when I'm done, perhaps, maybe, one day you'll find me living next door.



Recognized


The trend the last several decades has been for families to not all stay in one place. Years ago, families tended to settle close to each other, but now they are cities, states, even countries apart. Good or bad, I don't know. I know for me moving with my job 3000 miles from family has been hard and if I had my way, I wouldn't have moved. But with bargains in airfare that we find, we can visit each other with not too much time in between. My niece recently moved to Atlanta, which is much closer to us. She is amazing and we are thrilled. She called last week and asked us to join her husband and her for Thanksgiving. So for the first time in a long time, we will be with family for Thanks. The last time was when my youngest sister died. She died Thanks day, all the siblings were together. Strangely it was a good time. My sis was free from suffering, with the Lord and we were together to give comfort. So stay close, even if you are countries apart.

Club entry for the "The Gathering" event in "Picture This ".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.