Fantasy Fiction posted May 14, 2018 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joshua is attacked by a bear

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

Dragons, cats and bears. Oh my!

by Roxanna Andrews


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
A child is born to a Dark One, one who is thought to be cursed by her people. The child will grow up to a champion for his people and lead a vast army against a great evil.
The dogs growled and barked, nipping at the bear's back leg. The huge grizzly roared and turned to face them. He stood on two legs, being at least twelve stones, he was terrifying, but the dogs were not intimidated. The bear came down on all fours and roared again, shaking his head. Habil came at the bear, mouth pulled back in a snarl, showing teeth. Nyla screamed her name, knowing the dog was no match for the bear, but Habil paid no heed. The bear swiped a paw catching the dog just above the shoulder, sending her flying. She hit the ground and lay still, blood soaking her fur and the snow around her.

***************************************************************************

Dyster paced the dragon barn, bellowing at each turn. Highly agitated, the mammoth dragon flexed his wings every few minutes, lifting himself off the ground, then landing with an earth shaking thud. Riddare, the mountain cat who was his constant companion, paced beside him.

He came to rest at the door as Lyse took the bar off and using his head, pushed it open. She tried to sooth the huge beast, patting his side and speaking softly.

"What is it? What has you so unhappy?" She knew something was very wrong and a gnawing feeling in her gut grew and told her it had to do with Joshua. The beast threw his head back and bellowed, flexing his wings as if to fly.

"Hold on, boy," Lyse called as she ran for a saddle.

Augdon could hear the dragon's bellow and he hurried to see what had the beast in such a mood. He watched his daughter struggle with the heavy saddle and had a sinking feeling.

"Father, I know he senses something amiss with Joshua. I have to go. Riddare will never let me leave him behind so I will take him. He may be of some use."

Augdon bite his lower lip and thought a moment. He did not want her going if there was trouble, but he knew he wouldn't be able to stop her.

Lyse saw him biting his lip and knew it too often meant he would deny her request. Not this time, she thought.

He finally nodded. "I will go as well."

He helped her saddle Dyster and attach the cage for Riddare, who jumped inside without command. Both Augdon and Lyse climbed into the saddle and were barely seated before Dyster was in the air.

*******************************************************************

Those with Joshua watched the bear attack in stunned disbelief. It happened so fast none had time to react. The horses reared causing their riders to fall to the ground, and then ran off.

The men quickly jumped to their feet, but their weapons had gone with their horses. Nyla still had her bow as she hadn't time to stow it before the bear caused her horse to bolt.

The huge bear had grabbed Joshua by the leg in it's powerful jaws and was dragging him down a slope A wide trail of blood made a crimson path in the snow and he cried out in pain.

Nyla strung an arrow, intent on killing the beast. The sound of beating wings above caused her to look up in time to see Riddare jump from Dyster onto the bear's back.

The bear dropped Joshua as the animals rolled down the slope, a tangle of fur and teeth, snow flying. The bear seemed stunned by the sudden attack, he shook his body hard to rid himself of the unwelcome visitor.

Riddare jumped to the ground and the bear came down on all fours, swinging around to face him. He moved his head up and down in a challenge. The cat, keeping his body low to the ground, let out a loud scream and sprang, grabbing the bear around the head, claws long and slashing , pointed teeth biting at the neck.

The bear wrapped his paws round the cat's body, loosening Riddare's grip, flinging him through the air. The cat landed easily on his feet. Blood ran from a wound into the bear's eye and he tried to clear it by rubbing his face in the snow. Though the grizzly was much larger, the cat was more agile and unscathed, he coiled his body ready to spring again when an arrow lodge in the bear's side.

Once the cat was clear, Nyla had taken aim and let an arrow fly. The bear turned toward her, standing on hind legs, his roar almost deafening. Bringing his head forward, his mouth wide, incisors flashing in the early morning sunlight, he advanced on Nyla.

She strung a second arrow, the shaft made of thicker, sturdier wood and a narrower tip. It hit the bear in the chest,  piercing his heart. Before he could take another step, he fell dead at Nyla's feet.

Dyster landed with a tremendous thud. Lyse and Augdon slid from his back and ran to Joshua before the dead bear hit the ground. The dragon followed, whimpering over his beloved Joshua, laying pale and battered on the snow. The great, blue beast nudged Joshua with his snout and would not move when commanded. Augdon grabbed him by the ridges on his neck and pull him out of the way. He threw his head back and bellowed in protest.

Joshua lay barely conscious in an ever widening pool of blood made from the gashes cut into his shoulders and arm by four inch claws. He was weak and light headed from blood loss and pain.

Nyla bandaged her son's wounds as best she could, packing on snow to try to stop the bleeding and dull the pain.

"Can you stand?" Lyse asked Joshua, then turned to her father. "Help me get him on Dyster, I'll take him back to the fortress to our healer."

The men got him to his feet and Dyster lay down so they could get Joshua on his back. It was no easy task and Joshua moaned in pain as they push and tug him onto the dragon's back. The men wrapped him in fur blankets and tied him in the saddle with the leather straps used for a second rider. Lyse got on behind him so she could hold him. Riddare jumped into his cage and lay down, licking the wounds he had gotten during the fight.

"I will go on to Wahaland, but send word as soon as you are able," Nyla told Lyse.

Nyla looked at her son, and her heart ached at the thought of losing him. "Please, God, don't take him, I have only just found him," she prayed silently. She desperately wanted to go with him, but she knew now, more than ever, she would be needed at Wahaland.

Augdon could see her fear. "He will survive, he is young and strong and our healer is very wise in the ways of medicine."

Though Augdon said the words, he too was worried about Joshua. He had lost much blood, and bear wounds often got infected because of the bacteria on the bear's claws from tearing into dead animals. He remembered the vision of Joshua leading a vast army, and he held to that.

Once airborne, Dyster flew low and fast causing Lyse to hang on the Joshua with all her strength. It took not a quarter hour to make the trip, but to Lyse it seemed a life time. She directed Dyster to land close to the door leading into the main hall of the fortress.

Lyse ran through the door, calling for help. Warriors came running to get Joshua down and inside. He was taken to an empty bedroom and placed gently on the bed. The healer was sent for as Lyse sat beside the man she loved, holding his hand, waiting. "Hold on my love," she said, her heart pounding with fear.

**************************************************************************

Arvid had managed to round up their horses and retrieve the cart that had been invaded by a family of raccoon.

Cedric went to check on Habil. The dog lay still and blood soaked, and Ren stood over her whining. "Move boy, so I can see." Cedric gently pushed the dog aside and examined Habil. She had a bad cut on her shoulder and a broken leg. Cedric lay Habil in the cart and tended her wounds as best he could.

Nyla stood beside him and helped with the bandaging. "Thank you. I hadn't thought about Habil, I was so worried for Joshua," Nyla told him.

Cedric nodded, "I think she will survive, we will know by morning."

The men took the time to skin and butcher the bear. The fur pelt and meat would be a peace offering for the council of Wahaland. Without Joshua there to speak for them, they were uneasy about the meeting. The pelt and meat would be a gesture of good will. Augdon hope Nyla's presents would help convince her brothers to join the fight.

When they were finally on their way, the group talked little, their thoughts elsewhere. Nyla said not a word, she was so filled with worry. Augdon put a hand on her arm. "He will be well," he said and smiled. "Remember the vision."




Image from Google

Joshua-Champion for his people
Lyse- Joshua girlfriend and Augdon's daughter
Augdon-Captain of the Guardians
Nyla-Joshua's mother
Arvid-Lyse's brother, Augdons' son
Cedric-Augdon's brother
Dyster-blue dragon
Riddare-Mountain Cat, Dyster's constant companion
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.