General Fiction posted May 8, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Short Story Contest Entry

The Problem Child

by Ogden


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.










Ever since the divorce last year, the boy had become a handful.

Although Frank was awarded custody of Scotty, Deloris had been granted occasional visits from her son, to which he, apparently, eagerly looked forward. This, despite the fact that she was responsible for a crippling injury he suffered in a car accident when Deloris was DWI on his third birthday. He was physically unfit to enter school until four years later, a head taller and two years older than his classmates. Unable to participate in sports, an odd sublimation occurred. In and out of school, he became known as a mischief-maker, to the delight of the children, but not the teacher.

"Scotty just has an active imagination," everybody said to Frank.
"He sure does," Frank would reply, thinking, "If I don't do something about it, they'll be saying, "Don't worry, Frank, he'll outgrow it. You were no angel when you were his age.'"

It was true. Back then, Frank was full of the devil, often landing in the principal's office in school, and in the doghouse at home. But Scotty's thing was different...and troubling.

A lenient father, Frank had let a lot go, until Scott killed the goldfish. To that, he reacted angrily. "You thought it was funny watching Finn flopping around on the floor? Scott, killing anything, especially for entertainment, is not a joke! Get that smirk off your face. I'm serious!" But Scott showed no remorse.

A week later, it was a small fire burning Finn's fishfood in the kitchen sink. "Not funny, Scotty! No McDonalds, and no TV till Monday after school. And I'm warning you," he admonished, hoping he sounded harsh enough, "I'm not going easy on you anymore!"

Two weeks later, Mrs. Walker, Scott's teacher, obviously upset, intercepted Frank, when as always, he had come to take his son home from school. What she told him, was both urgent and chilling.

Yesterday, Scott warned his classmates of a girlchild-killer on the loose, and the terrifying word quickly spread throughout the school. The teacher had notified the police, and arranged an assembly where they assured everyone that the rumor wasn't true. Nevertheless, half of the children were absent today. Scott, who didn't show up for assembly, was not available for questioning by the authorities. He had run away.

****************************************************************

After the funeral services, the priest, who earlier had heard Scott's last confession, addressed the congregation, and after a heartfelt homily, unfolded a note, that at Scot's insistence, he had not yet read.

Shaken, he stammered as he became aware of what he was reciting from the childish scrawl with many misspellings. "It was very wrong...to do it. It was a bad thing to like doing it. I loved Delor...(scratched out)....my mother... but she deserved it. She ruined Dad's life...and my life...forever. women are very bad, and I will kill as many more as I can..." Unable to go on, the priest let the paper flutter from his hand.

Suddenly, springing from a seat, unseen, directly behind Mrs. Walker, Scott made good his promise, plunging a kitchen knife into her heart. He yanked it out, and limping and stumbling from the church, amid horrified screams, he wildly brandished the bloody knife, and disappeared into the adjacent woods.

He was, after all, only a child, and policemen with dogs easily tracked him down in short time.

*******************************************************************

Currently in a state mental institution, Scotty looks forward to Frank's frequent visits and encouragement. The administration and medical staff report that he is a cooperative patient, and has made excellent progress. Considering his youth, he may be released soon.



Surprise Me writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
This is a flash fiction contest. Write a story that has a surprise ending. Since it is flash, the word count must be between 200 and 600 words. The ending can be funny, sad, shocking, etc. But the reader has to be surprised.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ogden All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ogden has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.