General Fiction posted April 19, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Flash Fiction Contest Entry

The Unhappiest Day of Her Life

by Ogden


.
This had never happened to Feef before.

There was nothing to do, I supposed, but to keep on looking. Emily was crying, and Roger, age eleven, was hopeful, but without conviction. He tried to reassure her, anyay, good kid that he is. “Don’t worry Em, we’ll find her.” Even less optimistic, my wife murmured, “We don’t even know how long she’s been missing. She could have gone just about anywhere.” 

“Not the basement," reasoned Rog, “because the door is closed, and the poor little thing couldn't have opened it to go down there.” 

I’m the hard-hearted one in the family, but I didn’t let on that I never bonded with Fifi. I went on with the search, looking in the most improbable places, to amuse myself. The house is big, so nobody noticed my insensitivity. 

Suddenly, I knew the hunt was over. I couldn’t miss the Cheshire smile under Bootsy’s whiskers when I spotted the yellow feather near her pillow, as she contentedly walked away from it.




Lost - Flash Fiction writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story under 500 words about being lost


NOTE
Yes, I know Fifi isn't a canary name, but it was the kids' decision.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ogden All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ogden has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.