General Poetry posted November 1, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I was trying to ignore....

The Elephant In The Room

by Ogden

Someone Else Contest Winner 

I woke up in the morning, and while I brushed my teeth after peeing,
I saw in the mirror an entirely different human being!

He had a beard much grayer than mine, was considerably older (but otherwise fine).
There was a minor resemblance, but I resented its dissemblance! Some imposter did I see, but what had become of
me? In that mirror, was my place to be!

I rushed to the kitchen, straight to my wife, expecting a full-throated scream.
She said, "We're out of milk for your coffee, dear. You will just have to use cream."
I said in a panic, "Woman, take a good look at me! What do you see?"
"Well, I see a crazy old man! Here, drink your coffee, and don't bother me!"
"But don't you care that somebody else has taken your husband's place?"
"Maybe it
is time for a change; why don't you shave that beard off your face?"

"
She hasn't changed a bit," I noted. "She saw nothing amiss with all this, and she's devoted!
There must be some explanation. I've got to give it my concentration.......Hmm, maybe..... if truth be told, my subconscious doesn't want to accept I've gotten old!'

'Yes, that's it, but what to do about it, except to stew about it?"

"No," to myself, I insisted, "there's another way, but brother, you missed it!
Have it out with your subconscious, and set him straight. If he believes you're committed, he'll be glad that you did it. Look, kid, 'If you walk the walk, you have to talk the talk,' and I
did!":

"See here, your job is not to undermine me;
Tend to official business, and let me be!"
(So far, I think, so good.
I think I'm understood):

Being old's a great present,
And there's my late life unspent!
I am happy with this life I was given,
And that's
exactly the life I've been livin'!

 


Writing Prompt
You (or your character) wakes up and are someone different.

Someone Else
Contest Winner


The contest prompt doesn't specify if entries must be prose, so i took this opportunity to see if I could do justice to both disciplines in the same effort. The theme of "Elephant in the Room" is coming to terms with the aging process, and enjoying and being grateful for the gift of longevity.

I have other poems in my portfolio that, in one way or another, express my views on the topic. (I always do my best to make the messages entertaining, so if you liked this one, why not take a look?)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ogden All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ogden has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.