Biographical Poetry posted May 20, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shepherd boy against giant.

David and Goliath

by Roxanna Andrews

David and Goliath

David a shepherd, with harp he could sing,
Had been secretly anointed the Israeli king.

Was sent to check on his brothers at war,
What he saw there, shook him to the core.

Lined up across a valley, facing their foe,
Goliath taunting them in the valley below.

"Just send out one man to fight against me,
If I lose then the victors you will be.

But if I win, you must surrender to us.
Let's make it easy, no fuss, no muss."

The Israeli army, frozen with fear,
None would fight him that was clear.

David angry, not believing what he'd heard,
"How dare he against us utter one word!

Who is this Philistine, this uncouth clod,
That he would taunt the armies of the Living God?

I'll gladly fight him! Now watch and see,
What the Living God will do through me."

Taken before the King, "He will fight."
King Saul, unable to believe his sight.

"This cannot be, you are just a boy,
Are you kidding me? Is this some ploy?"

"Protecting my sheep is what I do,
I've killed lion and bear, I'll kill Goliath too."

King Saul agreed, gave him armor to wear,
But David said, "Its weight I can't bare.

I'll fight Goliath without armor or sword,
The protection I need will come from the Lord."

At a dry river bed David gathered five stones.
He went to face the giant in the battle zone,

When Goliath saw David he thought it a joke.
"What am I a dog that you send a stick to poke?"

But David unafraid, "This is no joke,
The ground with your blood will soon be soaked.

The Lord delivered me from lion and bear,
Today He will deliver you into my snare."

Goliath laughed as David loaded his sling,
Away the stone sailed, you could hear it sing.

It flew hitting Goliath in the forehead,
To the ground he fell, the giant was dead.

David used Goliath's sword, cutting off his head,
Shown to the enemy, their hearts filled with dread.

The Philistine army was routed, Israel had won,
Because of what God and a boy named David had done.
















Recognized


Many of us forget that when David faced Goliath he had already been anointed king of Israel by the prophet Samuel on God's orders.

Shortly after, Israel is call to war against their old nemesis the Philistines, and they have a secret weapon, or not so secret, a giant named Goliath. David's brothers are all at war and his father asks him to go check on them and take food. When David arrives, Goliath is putting on his daily show. The armies face each other across a valley and in that valley, Goliath struts about taunting the Israelites. "Send a man out to fight me.If you win, we surrender to you, but if I win, you surrender to us."

Every day for 40days he had issued this challenge. The Israelite shook in fear and ran from him. David was appalled! "Who does this uncircumcised Philistine think he is, that he should taunt the armies of the living God?!"

David volunteers to fight Goliath and is taken to King Saul who cannot believe his eyes. "This cannot be, he is just a boy!" David was probably 16 at this time.

He tells Saul God delivered the lion and bear into his hands and he would deliver Goliath as well. Saul is convinced but tires to dress David for battle in his armor. David is unable to move in the heavy armor and says he would rather just go as he is.

On his way to meet Goliath he picks up 5 stones from a dry river bed. (Some say he picked up 5 stones because Goliath had 4 brothers.) When Goliath sees David he laughs and taunts the Israeli army again by asking,"Am I a dog that you come at me with a stick." Meaning David was too young and small to be a real warrior. But it's David who answers him, "God has delivered me from the lion and the bear, and he will deliver you this day into my hand." David had no fear at all.

Goliath was 9ft tall, probably a descended of the giants that walked the earth in Nosh's day. His coat of mail weighed 250 lbs, his javelin was a big around as a mans arm and spear tip weighed 25lbs. He was one big, scary dude. David came armed only with a sling and 5 stones. He laughed at David's warning but was soon laying dead as it took just one stone thrown at high speed from a sling to bring him down.

It sunk into his forehead killing him instantly. David used the giants own huge sword to cut of his head and held it for his enemies to see. They ran and were pursued and destroyed by the Israeli army. God used a young boy to bring down an entire army. I Samuel 16-17
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.