General Poetry posted January 30, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A dream about the loss of a loved one

The Final Sunset

by Sarah Sandison

I had a dream last night.
You were there with me, walking along a pier.
The sunset was magical, and the sky was an array of colours.
On the sand below were families scattered around, enjoying each other but with no sound, like a silent movie.
The only sound was our gentle footsteps caressing the pier as we walked along it.
My heart was full, and I felt such peace as we walked silently.
I didn't know how long we'd been walking but I felt no tiredness.
I knew where we were going but I just couldn't reach it in my mind.
You kept turning to me, smiling and I heard you say 'it's going to be ok' although no sound came from your lips.
At the end of the pier, a distance away was a small crowd.
The sunset beamed behind them radiating like a halo.
You started walking slower, as though knowing this tranquillity was near its conclusion.
You looked at me with such affection, I was overcome with emotion.
No words were said, it was like your soul was speaking directly with my soul.
Then,
The beach came to life with sounds of children playing, seagulls squawking, people chattering.
You were moving away from me towards the end of the pier.
I tried to follow you, but my feet were heavy, like I was treading quicksand.
I tried to shout 'wait' but no words came out.
Now it seemed, the sunset was radiating from you, and I remembered where we were going.
Our final journey together.
Your final journey.
I didn't want to let go.
Ever.
I woke up crying, begging to please let me return to the comfort of the dream.



Sunset Poem writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a poem about a sunset or the memories or thoughts that a sunset brings. The word sun or sunset must be in the poem. All forms of poetry welcomed.


This poem is one of many that I wrote about each stage of the grieving process. This poem represented to me the bargaining stage.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by seshadri_sreenivasan at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sarah Sandison All rights reserved.
Sarah Sandison has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.