War and History Fiction posted July 18, 2022 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Colton and Iona prepare to depart for war.

A chapter in the book Rise from the Fall

We march to war

by Rinshikai


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Colton Arverni is an auxiliary soldier in service to the Empire. When an aspiring new commander jeopardizes the northern frontier, Colton's life is changed forever.

Colton

It's finally happening. In the blazing light of dusk, mercenary groups load wagons with everything they need. It's quite a sight, but compared to the refugee camp, it's a drop in the ocean. Fewer than one thousand answered Iona's call.

Walking among the crowds, I reach for the Torc around my neck. The realization that Giselle was the one that gave it to me breaks a barrier I built around myself. We lock eyes. Seeing my worry, she smiles. "Have faith. Hunter will come through for us."

"How can you be sure?"

"He was always there for me. Picking me up and knocking me down when I needed it." We stop at one of the tents, and she gives me a guilty look. The last month has been a ride for both of us. Stuck with each other, we were forced to face our problems head-on.

Steeling myself, we enter the tent, only to be bombarded by the stench of booze. At the room's center sits a makeshift table with a map. The Captains gather like kings of old. Iona directs everyone's attention to Bloodcrest Keep, the largest Northern outpost. To the east and west of The Scar are stones, possibly our allies?

"We'll fortify Bloodcrest with the remnants of the Tenth Legion. If all goes well, the Northerners won't make it past The Scar," Iona says. I'd mistake her for an Imperial commander if she wore her helmet. Strange, it's not like her to wear something like that. "Any questions?"

"What about the poison?"

All eyes turn to Captain Locke. He's older, grizzled, and scarred. From how others treat him, it's evident that he has seen more than most. Calmly rising, he looks at Iona with an expression cold as ice.

Walking to the Captain, Iona holds out her hand. "We'll use these."

"What is that?" Locke asks.

"It's a bladder," Iona holds it to her face. "They use these in the deep mines. It should filter the poison." She drops it on the table. "We will need to gather these as often as possible."

A snarky laugh fills the room. "Iona, why should any of us listen to you?" The young captain Zeno leans back in his chair, ploping his feet on the table. "You're not a captain of your own company, so why should any of us follow you?"

Without a word, Iona flips the man onto the floor. Foot firmly on his chest; she looks down at him with crossed arms. "One, I'm paying you. Two, while I don't run my own company, I've been a mercenary for years." She puts her whole weight on his chest, continuing, "And three, if you don't like it leave. Are we clear?"

Zeno gives a frantic nod, and Iona releases him. Through gasps, he glares at her, his pride shattered. Before he retaliates, my Aunt drops a pouch onto the table. Emblems roll out, each marking a mercenary captain that underestimated her. Point made. Zeno returns to his seat.

Like a brother, Hahaku hugs Iona around the neck. "What did I tell you lot? She's got the fire in her belly, just like Taranis." Though flushed at the gesture, Iona endures it for now.

The mention of my father's name changes the mood of the group. At first, it's sorrowful, but a few crack a smile. They must have known him back during the war on the Steppes. Captain Locke raises a cup. "To our brother Taranis. May his legacy live on."

"It will." Iona spots me and gestures to come closer. With a fine grip on my shoulder, she smiles before introducing me, "This is my nephew, Colton. He'll be marrying Lord Titus's daughter, giving us a claim to one-third of the region."

"Why would Lord Titus marry his child to someone of your rank Iona?" Zeno asks.

Iona throws a parchment onto the table. "Apparently, Livius's father was with my mother for a time."

"So... you're now a...?" Locke asks, shocked at this revelation.

"I doubt it. Livius's ambition is insatiable." Iona leans on the table, eyes darting around, looking for something. "He wants power." She looks up. "Maybe, replace Lord Titus as one of the five great families. And he will use anything or anyone to get there."

Speaking off to the side, Giselle makes herself known. "But it's a double-edged sword, Iona. If we lose, he loses along with us." Taking in the map, Giselle marks the western mountains and the paths that allow passage. "Iona, my warriors should be able to hold your left flank without problems. But these masks would be a great boon?"

Footsteps echo across the tent, and a handmaiden draped in black walks toward us. Though her vale hides her features, those pale blue eyes give her away. My Aunt Luna, with grace and the scent of lavender, joins us. "I'll provide you with the designs. But the poison needs a flame to work. Those narrow paths don't allow anything larger than a torch."

"But the attack on the Tenth. They sacrificed their own men. What's to stop them from doing that again?" I ask.

"Colt," Hahaku says. "They'd lose in the long run." The other nods in agreement. "Attrition has costs, and they can't risk overusing that weapon. You're young, but you'll learn." He looks to Iona and those gathered. Fatigue is wearing everyone down. "It's getting late. We should say our farewells and prepare to march at dawn."

The other captains rise and leave. With just the five of us, Iona slumps into her seat, her armor ready to crush her. But she is finally able to relax. Throwing her hair back, she looks at Hahaku with a grin. "Thank you for being here."

He points to his missing eye, "I gave your brother an eye. It's the least I can do."

"Still, it's appreciated," Giselle says

With a cold glare, Hahaku replies. "That's what families do for each other." He walks past her, turning back. "A shame it took Colton nearly dying for you to realize that." He leaves, the tent flaps dancing behind him.

Our group heads for one of the larger tents as the sun starts to hide behind the mountains. Inside, Runa and Becka sit together, offering prayers to a group of mercs. Across from them, Servious dotes on the blind woman while Enid tries to put her cloak on.

Giselle and I join the trio. I help Enid, and she gives me her best pout, irritated that I am helping her. "It's ok to ask for help, Enid." I say

She jumps into my arms, hanging from my neck. "Please come home safe." Her words are barely a whisper.

I hug her back, tears threatening to fall. "I can't promise that, Little Light." I turn to Servious, who reassures me. "Should the worst happen, you won't be alone. Aunt Luna, Servious, and-" I pause when I look at Giselle. "Giselle will be there for you, I promise."

Enid looks right at me. Her eyes are less grey than usual. "You and Giselle aren't fighting anymore?"

"Oh, Enid." Giselle embraces us both. "I'm so sorry." She cups Enid's face. "I wasn't there for either of you, but I'm trying to make amends." She looks at me, "I wish it had not taken me so long to realize."

Servious sits at a table, sipping on wine and chuckling to himself. "It is about time. I thought I would die before you started acting like a family."

He's right. I wish this moment would last, but the heavy steps of Imperial Elites shatter that dream. Six armed men march into the tent, lining up like good little soldiers. The tent flaps are held open by slaves, and Lord Titus enters with Tatanya in tow.

I pull Enid close, whispering into her ear. "Do you remember the game?"

"Middle, index, ring." She answers.

"Good girl. Never forget that"




Character list
Colton: Main POV Character
Iona: Colton's Aunt
Luna: Colton's Aunt
Enid: Colton's younger sister
Giselle: Colton and Enid's foster mother
Hahaku: Mercenary captain and close family friend
Captain Locke: Older mercenary captain
Captain Zeno: Mercenary captain

I ask reviewers to provide a minimum of one thing they liked and disliked. If you see errors or something that should be fixed, please don't hesitate to point them out. I can't improve otherwise.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.