General Poetry posted May 21, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Puente poem for Potlatch Poetry

Best Left Alone

by damommy


Most of my life, I’ve pondered things,
if one by one were joined by strings,
t’would wrap the earth not once but twice,
inspired by imagery’s device.
Equator’s jewels they could be,
provoking thoughts in those who see.
 
~ But this idea may be key ~
 
Its vital mysteries remain
to keep the secrets they retain.
No benefit to knowing all
the puzzles of this spinning ball.
Some wonders should be left alone,
existing in the great unknown.
 



Recognized

#57
May
2022


I have followed this variation which was to rhyme the bridge with the last two lines of stanza 1, which would follow a rhyme scheme of aabbcc c d,d,e,e,f,f.

The Puente, a poem for created by James Rasmusson, and is somewhat similar to the Diamante. Like the Diamante, you start with one aspect of a topic or issue and then, line by line, work toward another aspect. In the center is a line that bridges the two aspects together.

The Puente is also tenuously similar to the Zeugma (affectionously called a Ziggy) which, on the Shadow Poetry web site is defined as: A figure of speech in which a single word is used in the same grammatical and semantic relationship with two or more other words, usually a verb or adjective.

I considered the name 'bridge', and then with help from my bilingual step-daughter Mira Conklin, decided to use the Spanish word for bridge which is a puente. Introducing a poetic form that uses the Spanish word for 'bridge' is also timely since we're trying to come up with a 'bridge' to and from Mexico that is both compassionate and rational.



Club entry for the "~ Puente ~ week of 5-20-2022~" event in "Put Pen To Paper Potlatch Poetry Club".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.