War and History Fiction posted January 23, 2022 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Colton and Iona return to their beginings

A chapter in the book Rise from the Fall

Why we Fight

by Rinshikai


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
Colton Arverni is an auxiliary soldier in service to the Empire. When an aspiring new commander jeopardizes the northern frontier, Colton's life is changed forever.

Colton

Those gates have been sealed for nearly fifteen years, concealing an event that marked this city for a generation. For most Imperials, it's nothing more than a ruin, but for us, it's a reminder of what we lost.

Through back alleys, we move like shadows, ever wary that the guards will spot us. They rarely leave the gate, fearing what may await them in the darkness. I'm sure someone is following us. A crate falls over, and we prepare ourselves for a fight. When a dog runs past us, I sigh with relief, but that feeling won't disappear.

We carefully open the door of an old guard post, its hinges creaking their horrible wail. The echo thunders through the area, but the sound of soldiers doesn't echo back. Slipping through the half-open door, we find the place a ruin. Dust fills the air, choking our lungs. And it's hard to see through our watering eyes. The rustling of a curtain fills my ears, "There it is." Iona carefully steps over broken furniture, ushering me to follow. Once inside, we can breathe again.

Stairs encircle us like a snake crawling the walls. And the only way out is atop its back. With reluctance, I follow my Aunt. Each step echoes as the snake sheds its skin; one of its stony scales gives way, but my Aunt's quick thinking spares me. She pulls me back, and we continue our ascent.

Bathing in the midday light, the smell of ash fills my nose. I'm afraid. Iona's touch gives me strength. We look over the edge, and my heart drops. Below us lies a necropolis, its charred remains like blackened bones. Only the ghost of what was, walk these streets. Turning to screams as the flames engulf them all, I turn away, fighting the memories. My heart sends ripples through my body, "Why are we here?"

She hugs me. "To remember, Colton." Her grip tightens, and she starts to tremble in my arms. "This is what our loyalty got us. A cramped district with barely enough space to survive." She pushes away from me, standing on the edge of the wall. Crossing her arms, she said, "My brother's sacrifices meant nothing to them. And now only three of us are left." Turning to me. "We can't let them die for nothing, Colton."       
 

"We won't." A fire starts to burn in my soul. I try to be the pillar she's always been. This place marked us, but we can't let it break us. "I promise." I have to be strong for my Aunts, my sister, and the memory of everyone else that died. If we give up, then the Empire wins.
 
"I know." She laughs, pushing me as she wipes away tears that threaten to fall.

Claws meet stone, and before I know it, a giant ball of fur is on top of me. Its fang-filled maw is dripping on my face. Deep growls fill my ears, only for a mountain of licking to replace them. "Wulf, down!" A familiar voice yells, trying to pull the beast off. "Sorry, Colton," my best friend says, pulling the dog by the scruff. With the snap of a finger, the beast goes docile, trotting to its one-eyed master. The dog eagerly walks next to Hahaku, receiving a few pats on the head. Helping me up, I wipe my face with my arm.

"Thanks, Tristan." He helps me to my feet, embracing me like a brother. How did I not notice they were following us? "How long have you been following us?"

"Since the market. It's a day late, but Oma made this for you." He reaches into his pack and hands me a large honey cake. The sweet aroma fills the air. My stomach is growling worse than the dogs.

"Thanks," I rip into the treat, offering a piece to everyone. Hunger overtakes me, and I quickly gobble my share down. The sweet honey washing the taste of iron from my mouth. How can such a grumpy old woman make something so lovely?

Hahaku inspects the once-proud district, "Fuck," his words hide his grief. "I should have done more." He clenches his fist, only for the dog to console him. Who, in turn, gets a rub behind the ear as a reward.

"You had your own problems Hahaku," Iona said as she joins him. "And too many mouths to feed." She grips her heart, fire burning in her eyes, "But we're together now. That's what matters." Resolve resonating from her, earning a laugh from Hahaku and admiration from Tristan and me. She's not Iron Iona without reason.

We turn some crates into makeshift chairs and reminisce. However, the hair on the back of my neck is still standing. And their dog agrees with me. We both stare at some rubble near the stairs. Someone was there, and they've been there a while. "Did one of your clan follow you?" I ask as worry starts to eat at me.

"It's probably one of your Aunt's stalkers. You know how they are." Usually, I can spot them, but this one is good. Jumping to my feet, I walk towards them. Tristan offers to back me up, but I can handle one starstruck fool. I go around the back of the rubble, stepping as lightly as possible. Peering around the corner, I see a woman spying on us, a scarf hiding her features.

"Hey," I grab her from behind, but she wriggles through my grip. Lunging at me with a stick, I barely manage to avoid the bow. One of my feet is knocked out from under me, and I land on my ass. The assailant tries to strike me with an overhead blow, but I turn a piece of rubble into a shield. I hit her leg, and she lands on top of me, rolling on top of her. Those green eyes throw daggers at me as she struggles. I know those eyes. "Becka?" I rip the scarf off, and sure enough, it's her. "How do you get past the gate guards?"

"Showed them this." She reaches between her breast, and the glint of her slave tag draws my attention. Finally able to read it, the pieces fall into place. Cato made her my body slave, which gives her access to me at all times. Most guards won't bat an eye, but they're not the only ones who wander the street. She's either very lucky or good at sneaking. "You going to get off me? Or will you pull out your knife again?" she mocks. I stand, helping her to her feet.
 
"Hey, Colton! You alright?" Tristan said.

"I'm fine."

We walk out into the open, and the group eyes us. "So, not a stalker then?"

With a grin, Becka points to herself than me holding her tag between her fingers and resting her head on my arm. Is she trying to piss me off? I can feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. Pinching her ass, she goes to slap me. "What the fuck was that for?" She hisses, ripping her arm from my grip.

"You're a pain in the ass. I'm just returning the favor."

Iona clears her throat and circles us like a predator ready to pounce. "You're the daughter of that priestess?" Becka raises her wall again, not knowing how to respond. "You can't take risks like this." She stops in front of us. "You're easy prey if you're alone."

"I can handle myself."

Becka hits the ground, with my Aunts hand on her throat and her foot firmly on Becka's arm. "Is that so?" Her grip tightens, and panic fills Becka's eyes. She gasps for air, eyes darting for an escape, "I thought you said you could handle yourself." Eyes flooding on her reddening face, Becka looks at me. "Colton can't help you." She forces her to look at her. "Do you yield?"

Frantically nodding, Becka is set free. Her gasps become coughs as she fights to breathe. I offer to help, but she shoves me away, those eyes full of angry tears. Never get in her way when my Aunt wants to teach you a lesson. "Was that necessary, Aunt Iona?"

"Would you rather find her with a slit throat?" The thought is chilling. I can't let that happen, not after everything that has occurred. "I'm sorry for doing that." The intensity from before disappears, allowing the real Iona to show. "You have spirit, but you lack discipline. To protect your mother, you need to understand how this city works." She smiles, offering a hand, "I would be willing to teach you. And I'm sure Colton will be more than willing to help." She looks at me with a smirk.

The pair eyes me, and I can already feel the future bruises forming. Our eyes lock, and my heart starts the thump. Becka has a warrior's spirit but is unrefined. Under that tough exterior, she is beautiful. I agree, knowing that things were about to get interesting.




Character list
Colton: Main POV Character
Iona: Colton's aunt
Tristan: Colton's childhood friend
Hahaku: Tristans father
Becka: POW from the north

This is a rewrite of chapter ten, divided into two parts. I ask reviewers to provide a minimum of one thing they liked and disliked. If you see errors or something that should be fixed, please don't hesitate to point it out. I can't improve otherwise.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.