War and History Fiction posted October 16, 2021 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Colton receives a gift from his sister

A chapter in the book Rise from the Fall

Loving Gift

by Rinshikai




Background
Colton is an auxiliary soldier who believed that his life would be guarding the walls of the imperial capital. But when a young officer puts the northern frontier in jeopardy, all that changes.

Colton

How did she rope me into this? All I wanted was a nice, quiet corner with a stiff drink. Now our arms are locked, the illusion of a couple. She ruined a night orchestrated by her mother. And she'll drag me through the coals for it. "Thank you." She said with a genuine smile.

"You know you can't stick to me all night."

"I know." She clings tighter. We danced around the other guests. Who only care about rumors in their ears and wine dyeing their lips. The aura of pomposity matches the stench of perfume. The second an opening presents itself, we escape prying eyes in the garden, where the music of the party fades into the night.

In the night's air, my headache clears. The pond's gentle stream calms my nerves. "We should be safe for a while." The warm flicker of torches illuminates what the stars can't reach.

"Was wondering when you'd show." In the shadows, my Aunt catches the light in silk and iron. With a half-smile on her mended lip, she ushers us over. Nuzzled on her shoulder, my younger sister Enid rests. The blindfold she often wore is now a mask.

"Had to get away?" Her dress is a sharp contrast to her regular attire. Leather armor is now fine silk, hugging her feminine frame. Iron bands line her arms, accentuating the softer features by hiding the toned arms. While her hair, often loose, is now in a bun. You'd believe she was a noblewoman.

"By the gods, yes." She hunches forward, propping her head up with her fists. "I hate these gatherings." She focuses on the walkway stones while she taps her foot. "Either nobles trying to woo me," she shudders, rubbing her nose, "Or Merchants that want me to sell their crap."

"I can give you some space?"

"No," she stops. "I wanted to speak with you in private." Now I understand why Melissa was so insistent on this, "Thank you, Melissa. Both of you sit. Go ahead, Enid." My sister asks if I can hold out my arm and close my eyes. Hesitant, I do so, feeling her hands tying something around my wrist, after a few curses, and let her do it herself. Then, she says I can open my eyes.

"What do you think?" On my wrist is a bracelet thread intertwining with three polished stones. While faint, each bears a rune, family, friend, and home. It's simple but beautiful.

"Did you make this yourself, Enid?"

"Aunt Iona and Melissa helped."

I pull her into a hug, "Thank you. I'll treasure this. But why am I getting a gift?" I'm bewildered by the sudden silence. Did I say something wrong? Did I forget something important? A shiver goes up my spine, and I shudder, thinking about what it could be. But, from the raised eyebrows and tilted heads, they look as confused as me.

"Colton, it's your birthday," Melissa said.

"What?" My birthday, no, it couldn't be. Is it? My mind is racing. I count out the days. Going over it all, they're right. Now, I want to kick myself for being an idiot. "Your right. Everything has been so hectic. I guess I forget."

"It's alright; you like the gift." Enid rests her head on me. "That's what's important."

The night air fills with the aroma of perfume, its source, a trio of Eastern women led by Alexis. Quickened steps echo through the garden, followed by angered cries. Then, Melissa jumps to her feet in a blink of an eye. She fixes her hair, her posture perfect, and her hands in position. "Melissa, I won't tolerate this anymore." With a snap of her fingers, all protest ends. "There are two suitors left, and you will meet them." The attendants lock arms with Melissa, and they head inside. As Alexis follows, she gives me one last look before leaving.

"I've made my appearance. Time to turn in." She helps my sister to her feet. "Don't stay up too late, ok." Walking away from the party, my sister turns to my Aunt, whose cheeks are flushed. I can't hear what is said, but it warms my heart when I see the woman who hides under so much armor.  

Finally, alone, I savor the tranquility. Wisps of wind blow, and the day's problems go with them. Disappearing into the void, and like the stars, I remember what's important. Family, friends, and home are such simple things that are often ignored. The faint voices inside harden my resolve. I won't ever become one of them. I admire my sister's work, but a shadow towers over me. At first, I expected one of the guards, but it was a woman. Slim and beautiful, her features show her noble heritage. Our eyes lock for a moment, and I feel flushed, blood running to my cheeks, and I avert my gaze.

"Might I sit?"

"Go ahead."The silence I once enjoyed is ruined. Who is this woman? There's something about her, those eyes I'm sure we've met, but where? Her thin fingers pull me back from my thoughts. Our eyes meet again, and those dyed lips crack a smile.

"You don't remember me, do you?" Using my hand as a mask, "How about now?" One look into those pools, and it hits me like a runaway cart. Livia and her friends were playing prostitutes, their act of rebellion, and Lady Vita sent me to find them. No, they couldn't send imperial guards; rumors would spread.

"Your Lord Titus, daughter."

"Glad you remember. I was worried." She exposes her shoulder, enticing me. Heat running to my face, I turn away. Her giggle eases the mood, "It's alright; you've seen them before." The smell of her perfume was sweet but not overwhelming. "Would you be willing to escort me back to the party?

"Don't you have guards for that?" I try to leave, but she grabs my wrist.

"Yes, but I'd prefer to go with you. You are the nephew of Iron Iona. And you're easy on the eyes."

"What am I a gigolo?"

She pulls out her purse. "I'm willing to pay you," the jingle of coins tempting me. The very idea is appalling, but sacrifices are needed if we ever want our own home. Agreeing, she hooks onto me, plopping a gold coin in my hand. My stomach churns, and my nose burns again as we enter the miasma.




Character list
Colton:POV character
Iona: Colton's Aunt
Enid: Colton's younger sister
Melissa: Colton's childhood friend
Alexis: Melissa's mother

This chapter is a rewrite of chapter 3, now as a new chapter 4. I ask that reviewers give a minimum of one thing they like and dislike. If you see anything that needs to be fixed or improved, don't hesitate to point it out, I can't otherwise enhance it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.