General Fiction posted May 31, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A letter from Mars

Dear Son

by damommy














Dear Son,
 
Well, your mother made it to Mars.  Can you believe it?  I always said if God had wanted me here, He would have put me here in the first place.  But here I am.  On Mars!
 
The first thing I noticed was how quiet it is.  As you know, that is strange!  There’s always noise of some kind back on Earth.  Lawnmowers, planes overhead, neighborhood children.  Nothing here.  It’s so quiet, it almost hurts the ears. 
 
Light is different here.  I don’t know quite how to describe it.  It’s like when you’re outside and you get light from everything around you.  I’m wearing a helmet with a light attached.
 
There are no flowers, plants, trees, or anything to create aromas.  I don’t smell a thing, good or bad.  It’s completely odorless here.  I don’t like that part of it.  I miss the smell of the old cedar tree beside the porch, and the honeysuckle on the fence.
 
If it weren’t for the special suit I’m wearing, I think I would be very cold.  I should have brought my toe warmer patches with me.  You know how cold my feet get anytime of the year.  I think I’m going to need to put on extra socks while I’m here.
 
There’s nothing to touch here, but Mars itself.  It’s dusty, so I try not to stir that up.  I don’t know if I could, anyway. 
 
All in all, it’s interesting.  I’m hoping to be back home soon.  I’m glad I got to come, but you know what they say.  It’s a nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live here.
 
Bye for now.  See you soon.
 
Love,
Mother
 

 



Recognized

Club entry for the "Letters From Space!" event in "Flash Fiction and Short Shorts".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.