Supernatural Fiction posted October 13, 2020 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 35... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE CURSE/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Shadow/Part 2

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. I have a new one, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
Joseph pulled into the vacant parking space outside the building where he had an appointment to meet with his therapist. His thoughts were anything but calm. The idea of drudging up all those painful memories of his childhood always made him nervous. He’d spent years burying his past, so digging it back up was difficult. It had taken him a long time to put it to rest.

He imagined himself standing once again in the house he grew up in. Although he had burned it to the ground, he could still remember every detail. From the rancid odor of cigarettes and liquor, to the hidden bloodstains on the carpet. Eventually, the droplets of blood had gotten too big to cover up. Then, an image of his father came to mind, clear as a photograph. He saw the hateful scowl on his face. The dark and sinister look in his eyes. He was evil, straight down to the core. His thoughts shifted to that dreadful day, where he watched his father beat his mother. He could still recall her last words.

“You father was an abusive drunk,” the Shadow whispered into his subconscious. “But that’s in the past. He got what was coming.”   

When Joseph peered into the rearview mirror, the Shadow’s image stared back at him. “After what he did to my mother,” he said, snarling his upper lip, “he deserved to die.”

“Yesss…” the Shadow hissed. “And now… his soul belongs to us.”  

Joseph inhaled a deep breath and held it for a few seconds before he let it out. “Let’s get this over with.”

He was on autopilot as he got out of the vehicle and made his way across the parking lot. When he walked up to a set of double doors, he stepped aside as a woman with long black hair came through. She kept her eyes forward and hurriedly moved passed him. Although he barely got a glimpse of her face, her perfume lingered. The sweet fragrance reminded him of his mother’s. He swallowed the knot that had formed in the back of his throat and pushed his way through the entrance.

On the other side, the small waiting area looked empty. As he moved toward the receptionist’s desk, he made eye contact with a pretty redhead who was seated in a chair in the far corner of the room.

“Yummm…,” the Shadow purred. “Look at all that red, luscious hair. So delectable.” 

Joseph quickly looked away, ignoring the voice in his head and trudged forward. When he approached the front desk, a man with a bright, yellow polka dot bow tie, and tortoiseshell glasses addressed him.

“Good morning.” He dipped his head a little. “Please sign in and I’ll call your name when the doctor is ready to see you.”

Joseph nodded and signed in.

It wasn’t long after he took a seat, he heard his name called. As he got to his feet, he quickly glanced at the redhead. She noticed and smiled at him.

“She likes you, Joseph,” the Shadow said in a taunting voice. “You should ask for her number.”   

Joseph focused on the nurse who stood in the doorway. She greeted him with a smile and said, “Right this way, Mr. Parker.”

Joseph followed her down a long corridor, feeling as if he were going to the gallows. The passageway seemed to go on forever. Moments later, the nurse stopped outside a door and placed a thick binder inside a file holder mounted on the wall. He briefly stared at them, realizing it held all the documented pages of his childhood past. God… If only he could make them disappear.

The sound of the door opening suddenly brought him back to focus.

“Please, make yourself comfortable,” the nurse said, motioning him inside. “Dr. Mendoza will be with you shortly.”

“Mendoza?” Joseph slightly tilted his head, the name sounding oddly familiar. “Where’s Dr. Conover?”

“I’m sorry, but Dr. Conover is no longer with us. Dr. Mendoza is taking over all his patients.  If there’s a problem, we can reschedule you with another therapist.”

Joseph shook his head. “No, it’s fine.”   

The nurse nodded and waited outside the doorway while Joseph went inside. As he stepped into the spacious room, a sweet aroma, like French vanilla, invaded his senses. He found it comforting and refreshing.

As soon as the door closed, he sat down in oversized chair next to a window overlooking the city. The colors of the walls were dusty blue and across the room, above a desk, was a painting of the beach. Although his nerves were pins and needles, it gave him a sense of calm and relaxation.

“I wonder if the new shrink is a male or a female,” the Shadow spoke. “I hope it’s a female.” He deepened his voice. “An attractive female.”  

Joseph flinched and looked up when the door sprung open. He felt his mouth go wide when he saw the woman standing in the doorway with his folder in her grasp. She had dark skin and long braided hair neatly arranged on top of her head. She wore khakis and a blue pinstriped jacket. She had small gold hoops in each of her earlobes and a pair of reading glasses attached to a lanyard around her neck. Her big brown eyes reminded him of someone from the past.   

She came forward with her hand outstretched. “Good morning, Joseph.”

Recognizing her soft voice, he slowly rose to his feet and took her hand.

“G-Good morning,” he said, his heart beating like it was going to burst from his chest.

She smiled. “You do remember me, don’t you?”

He quickly bobbed his head up and down. “Y-You’re the police officer…” he swallowed hard, feeling like his knees were going to buckle, “…that helped me.” There was a pause. “But how?”

“Please, Joseph,” she said, looking at him with kind eyes, “have a seat and we’ll talk.”

The Shadow huffed. “Don’t let her get inside your head, Joseph.” 

When he settled back into his chair, she walked over to her desk and sat down behind it.

“First, let me reintroduce myself,” she said, placing the file on top of the desk. “My name is Dr. Katie Mendoza. And yes, I was that officer.” She raised a speculative brow. “You see, Joseph… that day changed both of our lives. You were just an innocent child and you didn’t deserve what happened to you. When I watched child services take you away, it broke my heart. You lost both your parents at such a young age. Considering the circumstances, it would have been traumatizing for anyone. I’ll never forget that look in your eyes. From then on, I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life helping people.”

“But, isn’t that what police officers do?”

“Of course,” she replied. “They do protect and serve others, but I wanted to do more. So, I went back to school and got my degree in psychology. I’ve been a licensed therapist for fifteen years now.”

The blank expression on Joseph’s face made her uneasy. She leaned forward and said, “Joseph, if talking to me makes you uncomfortable, I completely understand. You can reschedule with another therapist…”

“No, no,” he quickly interjected. “I’m fine. Actually…” he released a deep breath. “I’d rather talk with you.”   

Her eyes lit up. “That’s wonderful, Joseph.” She straightened her shoulders. “Do you mind if I record our session? Everything will be kept confidential.”

When he nodded in agreement, she placed a small recorder on her desk.

“I noticed you changed your last name,” she said. “It used to be Harris, am I correct?”

“Yes. I wanted a fresh start, so I took my mother’s maiden name.” 

“I see.” She nodded slowly, reaching for her glasses. “So, tell me about yourself, Joseph,” she went on to say, focusing on his face through a thick pair of lenses. “I read over your file and it says you’re a freelance journalist at the San Francisco Chronicle.”

“Not to mention a stone-cold killer,” the Shadow said in a calculating voice.

“Yes.” Joseph smiled at her. 

“That must be an exciting career. How is that going?”

“I love my job,” he replied. “It’s very rewarding.”

“I’m glad to hear that. What got you interested in journalism?”

“I don’t know.” He shrugged. “I guess I’ve always wanted to be a writer.”

“There must have been something that piqued your interest. A certain book or an author maybe?”

“Boring…” the Shadow said around a yawn. “Kill her, Joseph. Let’s just eat her heart and be done with it already.”  
 
Suddenly, Joseph’s expression went blank. He looked past Dr. Mendoza and stared off into the distance.

“Joseph, is something wrong?”

As time passed and he didn’t answer, she raised her voice, “Joseph…”

He jerked. “I’m sorry. Did you say something?”

“What happened?” She looked at him in question. “I lost you there for a minute.”

“Sorry. I was just thinking.”

 “What were you thinking about, Joseph?”

“Eating you,” the Shadow replied.    

“Oh, nothing really.”

“You seemed to be lost in thought. Is there something you want to talk about?”

“Don’t fall for her tricks, Joseph,” the Shadow said. “She’s playing mind games with you.”

“Well… there’s this girl I met.”

“Seriously, Joseph?” The Shadow groaned.

“That doesn’t sound like nothing.” Her voice took on a curious note. “How did you meet her?”

“I found her purse.”

Her brows lifted. “You found her purse?”

He nodded. “I was out biking early this morning and found a purse on the side of the road.”

The Shadow cackled. “You are such a liar.”

“It had a phone and an ID inside,” he continued on, “so I took it to the owner. She invited me to stay for coffee. We started talking, and then I asked her out. She said yes.”

“I’m happy for you, Joseph. When are you going out?”

“Tonight.”

“Wonderful,” she boasted. “And how romantic. Your first date is on Valentine’s Day. Are you taking her anywhere special?”

“I thought about Kiraku’s, but she doesn’t like Sushi. So, I decided on Corso’s.”

“Great choice. She’ll love it. The food is delicious. And save room for dessert.”

“Don’t worry,” the Shadow mocked. “We’ll have plenty of room for more than dessert.”  

“I was wondering,” Joseph abruptly said, drowning out the voice in his head. “Could I ask you for some advice?”

“Sure. I’ll do my best.”

“Should I…” he briefly paused, “…bring her flowers?”

“I’m pretty sure she would appreciate flowers. Especially since it’s Valentine’s Day.”

Joseph smiled. “Thank you, Dr. Mendoza.”

“I’m glad I could help. So, what does this lucky, young lady do for a living?”

“She’s a substance abuse counselor at the New Hope Foundation.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” he said. “She helps people… like you.”

“She sounds delightful, Joseph.”

“And delicious,” the Shadow said, smacking his lips.

“You know… after all these years,” she said, shaking her head, “I’ve always wondered how things turned out for you. I’d hoped you’d be placed into a home with a loving family. Although it’s obvious you’ve had your share of trials and tribulations, it appears you’re adjusting quite well. Am I right?” 

Joseph shifted nervously in his chair.

“Tell her you’re fine,” the Shadow urged.

 “Don’t worry, Dr. Mendoza. I’m doing fine.”

“Are you sure? I mean, if there’s something you’d like to talk about, that’s what I’m here for.”

As silence overtook the room, he felt like an idiot for not saying anything. The fact of the matter was, he knew she wanted to bring up his past. But he just didn’t have it in him to talk about it, especially that dreadful day.

Finally, she broke the silence and said, “What about your mother? Would you like to talk about her?”

From out of nowhere, he felt an overwhelming pain in the center of his chest. It was as though his heart was breaking into a million pieces. 
     
“Be cautious, Joseph,” the Shadow warned.

Joseph briefly closed his eyes, remembering the last time he saw his mother. Images of her flashed through his mind. They were so clear and vivid. Her bruised and swollen face... Her eyes wet with tears and full of regret...

With an overpowering urge to leave, he forced himself to stay and said, “I loved… my mother.”

“Of course, you did,” she said, her voice expressing compassion. “And I’m sure she loved you dearly.”

He quickly lowered his head and bit back tears.

“Don’t give in to weakness,” the Shadow said. “Together, we are strong.”   

“Joseph, there’s something I’d like to discuss with you. It’s about the institute.” 

He looked back up. His face was stoic. Although his outer appearance seemed calm, his insides were positively screaming. Oh, God… He wanted to throw up. He swallowed and nodded instead.

“As I was going over your records, something caught my attention. Your physician, Dr. Manos at the Summit Behavioral Institute, stated you suffered from a lack of empathy and displayed symptoms of schizophrenia at age seven. He mentioned you heard voices, and they told you to do bad things. Do you still hear those voices?”

“Lie,” the Shadow demanded.

Joseph shook his head.

“Are you sure, Joseph?”

“Lie better.”

“Yes.” He smiled a little. “I’m sure.”

“Okay,” she said, staring over the rim of her glasses. The look in her eyes said she didn’t believe him.

Joseph glanced down at his watch. It was almost noon. God, he prayed the session would soon be over.

“I think that’s enough for today,” she said, noticing the time.

The Shadow grumbled, “FINALLY.”

“I’d like to set up another session in two weeks.”

Joseph took a deep breath. “Yeah, sure.”

When she rose from her chair, she said, “It was nice to see you again, Joseph.”

He quickly pulled himself up, moved toward the desk, and extended his hand. “Thank you, Dr. Mendoza.”

“I look forward to our next session,” she said, clasping ahold of his hand. “And good luck on your date tonight. I hope you both have a great time.”

He smiled. “Thanks. Me too.”

It hadn’t been long after Joseph left when Dr. Mendoza rewound the recording of the session. As she began to listen, she heard something odd in the background. It sounded like a third voice. No, she thought. There must be something wrong with the recording. Instantly, she hit the stop button and pushed rewind. After a few seconds, she pressed play. She turned up the volume and listened carefully. Oh, God… There it was again. She went stiff. Abruptly, the hairs on her arms stood on end. She was trembling from head to foot. Although the voice was muffled and difficult to understand, she was positive she heard the words, kill her.     

To be continued. . .
 
 
 

 




Joseph Parker - At age five, his abusive father murdered his mother. When his father was sent to prison for twenty years, Joseph was placed in foster care. Dealing with the death of his mother, he later suffered with what was thought to be schizophrenia and placed into a mental institute. Although he heard voices, it wasn't due to a mental illness. It was an evil entity called the Shadow. Over the years, the Shadow taught him how to manipulate his physicians into believing he completely normal and ready to be released into society.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.