Romance Fiction posted October 12, 2020 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Problems on the first day at school.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 2 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself.
PREVIOUS POST:

"Wow, talk about a small world. I remember a young girl following coach around. So that's Ms. Riley. Didn't she run cross country?"

"She did. Still holds a state record. She played softball too."

"That explains her good running form."

"No, you and Reggie scared her. She was running for her life."

"That's true."

They laughed.

After Jordan handed Coach his license and registration and left, Gabriel asked, "Think she can handle discipline?"

"That we'll have to wait and see. I'm wondering if we can talk her into restarting a girls' cross country team. We haven't had one for three years."

"That's a good idea. You'd better ask. She hates me."

"I'm sure with time you can win her over, you usually do."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 2 part 2

Around one o'clock that afternoon, Gabriel knocked on room 103's classroom door. He waited until Katherine turned around. "Hello, it looks like you could use some help hanging whatever that is."

"Thank you, but Jordan and I have it. They're math formulas, by the way."

"Jordan has his end covered, but you're a little short on the other side." He leaned over her and took it. "Hand me that glue gun."

After he finished, Katherine asked, "Do you always push your way into situations?"

He grinned. "That's what I'm best at. Really I came by to see if you needed help." He glanced at a pile of formulas. "Jordan, why don't you and I take care of this for your mom?" He checked his watch. "The staff meeting starts in twenty-five minutes. We have time. Just show us where."

Katherine sighed. "I can do this."

"Never said you couldn't. Us Texas guys, always help..."

"Don't you dare say 'damsels in distress'," interrupted Katherine.

"Never would've considered it." He grinned and held up a poster-board math formula against the wall. "Is this a good place?"

As the last formula was hung, an announcement came over the speaker system. "All staff report to the cafeteria. The meeting will begin in five minutes."

Katherine turned toward her son. "Jordan?"

He looked around at the numerous boxes in the room. "Don't worry, Mom. I have plenty to keep me busy."

"But..."

Coach touched her arm. "Come on, I'll escort you to the cafeteria."

As they walked, Katherine released a deep breath and then faced Gabriel. "I've never been to a faculty meeting. Are there assigned seats?"

"Don't worry. They're harmless and most of the time useless. Usually the departments sit together, example math teachers sit with other math teachers."

"I don't know who the math teachers are."

"I'll introduce you to the department head. He should ask you some questions because later he'll introduce you to the rest of the staff."

"Okay."

"Paul, Mr. Edwards, will tell a few horrible jokes, welcome everybody, and then the introductions will begin. After that, he'll fill us in on any changes for the upcoming year."

"Sounds harmless."

"It is." After entering the cafeteria, he pointed to the far right rectangular table. "The math teachers. Come on, I'll introduce you." He grinned. "Then you're on your own."

As they walked toward the table, a tall slender man, wearing a button down shirt and a bow-tie stood. "Coach, what are you doing in the academic section?"

"I wanted to introduce you to Mrs. Katherine Riley, our new math teacher."

Katherine offered her hand. "It's nice to meet you."

Gabriel said, "Mrs. Riley, I'd like you to meet the math department head, Mr. Rodney Frost."

Rodney accepted Katherine hand. "Nice to meet you." He nodded toward the door. "We'd better get seated. Mr. Edwards just entered." They both sat.

Katherine watched Gabriel walk up to the principal say a few words, slap his back, laugh, and then he went to his designated area. I wonder what that's about. Is he somebody to be trusted or not?

Mr. Edwards stood at the podium. "For those of you who are new, I'm Paul Edwards, your principal. I'm not new."

Everybody laughed, and somebody called out. "You're right. You've been here since dinosaurs roamed the Earth."

He laughed and waved his arm toward the faculty. "You're right. Silver Cove High School staff, welcome to the beginning of a wonderful new school year. I can feel the enthusiasm. Sitting in this cafeteria, are the best high school teachers in the world. I'm excited for this school year to begin. Tomorrow our meeting will begin at 8:00 sharp. First, I'll go over changes and expectations for the upcoming year."

Turning, Katherine watched and smiled at the various shouted comments. Mr. Frost didn't say a word. He didn't even grin. I wonder why?

After a few unfunny jokes, which people commented loudly about how bad they were, Mr. Edwards grinned. "I see you still enjoyed my humor. We'll take a five minute break while department heads talk with new team members and then we'll have you introduce them to the rest of staff."

Katherine turned to Mr. Frost. Their eyes met, he glanced at her hands, and then he left.

I wonder what that's about. How will he introduce me? He only knows my name.

Almost fifteen minutes later, the principal stood at the podium. "Department heads, please join me." He waited for them to line up on stage and then motioned behind the line. "New staff members, please stand behind them. As your name's called, please step forward."

As the English Department began, Mr. Frost came on stage using the back stairs and took his place.

When Mr. Frost stepped to the podium, he turned and pointed behind him. "I'd like to introduce Mrs. Katherine Riley." Katherine stood beside him and smiled. He continued, "Even though she carries the title of Mrs. I'm sure you've noticed there's no golden band on her finger. Those interested staff members, a word of warning, our resident playboy, Coach Hudson, has already laid claim. You'll have to wait your turn. It's yet to be determined if she can teach math or handle discipline." He stepped away from the podium.

Katherine's face turned crimson. Why'd he do that? She went to the back of the stage.

After the last teacher was introduced, Mr. Edwards dismissed the staff and asked to speak with Mr. Frost.

Katherine stood off to the side, waiting for her opportunity to speak with her department head.

After their private discussion Mr. Edwards started to leave, but he turned toward Mr. Frost. "I'd advise you to stay out of Coach's way until he calms down. By the way, this incident will go in your file." He left.

Katherine stepped up. "Mr. Frost, I need to speak with you." He started to walk past her, but she moved in front of him. "After insulting me in front of the entire staff, you aren't going to dismiss me. I have no idea what you have against me."

She fingered her necklace. "My marital status is none of your business, but I'm not wearing a wedding ring because I'm widowed. I'm a mother of four young sons and work full time. I don't have time for any relationship and have no desire to start one."

Mr. Frost attempted to walk away.

Stepping in front of him again, Katherine continued, "Again, this is none of your business but I graduated from Cornell University with honors so, yes, I know my subject."

She inhaled a deep breath. "As for Coach Hudson, he was nice enough to show me where the cafeteria was. I've never been in this building before today. My suggestion: if you don't know what you're talking about keep your mouth shut."

As she walked away, the remaining staff members applauded her.

Under his breath Mr. Frost muttered, "If she graduated with honors, she slept her way through college."

Katherine turned and raised her hand to slap him.

Gabriel walked behind her and held her hand. "Don't do it. He deserves it, but he'll bring charges. As a new teacher, you don't need that. I promise it'll be handled."

"I don't need anyone fighting my battles."

Gabriel grinned. "I'm sure you don't, but this may be bigger than you." He left.

Katherine sighed. How could I possibly be involved in anything? I just arrived to town five days ago.




We had a wonderful time with our youngest son, Steven, and got back in time to post. I've still been thing about a title. How about 'Game of Love'?




CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: more information later, owner of a very large English Mastiff

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Robert Frost: Math department head, at least for now.




Recognized

#48
2020


Thank you google images for a photo of question marks. This novel is not actually about football, but there is mention of High School football. High School football is a national past-time in Texas. Raising four sons myself, I can promise you my rear-end graced many bleachers on Friday nights. This post is a little over 1200 words. I hope it's not too long. I don't want to reveal too much until it's time.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.