Romance Fiction posted October 11, 2020 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A surprised, unwanted romance

A chapter in the book One Sunny Night

One Sunny Night-Chapter 3

by Alaskastory

The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.


Background
Driving toward Danielleâ??s adventure at the Bryant Ranch, unwanted romance jumped at her from a work partner.
Many thanks to Sierra Treasures for a wonderful mountain view picture.
The drive and picnic planned with Curtiss was not a casual episode. In fact, it became a strain. His words coming only minutes after leaving city limits shocked her. Being alone with him may be a mistake.

"I want you to know, Danielle, these past weeks have meant a great deal to me." Sunshine highlighted red steaks in his hair and darkened the lens of his glasses. "Not just at work but getting to know you."

She forced a slight laugh. "We've had some fun times with your close friends."

It had been her utmost to keep their relationship on a mere friendly basis. Others in the group were always around, but now they were alone. She switched attention to a fox running across the road. Then spotting an eagle atop a tree, she managed to debate if possibly it was one of the many oversized black ravens instead. When he parked the truck at an ideal spectator spot, she became uneasy for picnicking alone with Curtiss.

They were atop a hill overlooking a valley and a winding river. More than a hundred miles away blue mountains circled their world. The beauty they shared did not seem to suppress his romantic mood. Her glance showed his sunglasses were reflecting only her image.

She set their bagged sandwiches on a large, flat rock nestled against the white trunk of a tall birch tree. One car, then a truck whizzed by. Other sounds were the chattering of a squirrel and his voice. "You're the prettiest girl I've ever known."

"Not really, Curtiss. Rhonda and Dixie are both as sweet and pretty as can be. And, if I'm not guessing wrong, Dixie admires you more than a trifle." She stretched a hand toward to the scenery. "Look, a most beautiful view, isn't it?"

"Extremely." A dreamlike voice forced Danielle to turn and see dark glasses still pointing at her.

Uneasily she wondered what it would be like to be kissed by a bearded man. Quickly she opened a bag of chips.

"These are well spiced potato chips. Have some." Handing them to him, he grasped hold of her fingers.

"I know you probably have a boyfriend back home in Kansas."

Danielle nodded.

"Is he begging you to marry him?"

"I'm sorry if I've encouraged you to understand differently."

"It's not just your way with me." A mellow tone faded to grouchy. "The other guys played for you at one time or another."

Her eyes widened. That had not crossed her mind and now she wondered at her own naivete. Tension fell over the day and she was not inclined to linger with Curtiss who may sweep her into his arms. The picnic came to an early end.

They arrived at the Stewart Bryant Ranch an hour ahead of schedule. The entering road was gravel and wound down into a canyon where horses roamed at pasture. Pink roses blossomed and purple wild iris bloomed delicately in grassed open space. Green spruce grew tall and sturdy, interspersed with white-barked birch and cottonwoods. A mountainside was at the back of the grounds and a rushing river at the foot.

Danielle fell in love with the grounds and was impressed at an immense house in natural surroundings. It appeared in sturdy logs stylishly trimmed in rockwork.

"Look at that." Curtiss sounded back to life after the tense picnic. "That building makes me want to be rich."

"It is impressive."

Steps before they reached the door it was opened by an obviously pregnant young woman. She was a black haired, brown skinned beauty who eyed them suspiciously. Danielle had learned Indians of the area were Athabaskans and were noted for beadwork. This girl wore intricately beaded ornaments in long, shimmering hair.

"What do you want him for? He don't work on Saturdays."

"I called yesterday for an appointment. His secretary arranged it for two o'clock today. I know I'm here a little early. I'm Danielle LeRoy. Are you Mrs. Bryant?"

"My name is Starla Frost." Looking away from Danielle she gave Curtiss a smile.

"This is Curtiss Hicks." He offered a handshake and she nicely accepted.

"Is Mr. Bryant in?" The girl's suspicion toward her seemed a puzzle.

"He is riding. He took the blue mare down to the second meadow. Should be back soon. Come and wait in here."

Starla lead them into a living room, then left.

The large room's ceiling was covered in full, round logs. Walls were smoothly painted and covered in special art paintings. Danielle admired the artwork, furnishings for both boldness and a tender side. All spoke of love for Alaska.

Curtiss tilted his head, focusing on the massive fireplace in stones towering to the high ceiling. "What this room needs, is a big caribou mounted with a wide rack."

Danielle frowned at him. "It is perfect like it is. I surely wouldn't ever want to share a room with the glassy stare of some poor dead animal."

"My sentiment exactly." A deep voice came in from behind them. Sunlight from an oversized window reflected on a western-style shirt that pressed on an overly warm, muscular chest. Life seemed to come into the room. Stewart Bryant held out a hand.

"Danielle LeRoy, it's good to see you again."

She introduced Curtiss, saying how they had worked together on the Beaufort Sea study. Assuming she owed him details about Curtiss made her uncomfortable. "He was kind to give me a ride here."

"Oh, then you're not involved in the Susitna dam sight inspection?"

"He's not. In a call with Mr. Wright at my company I learned he is anxious for me to take photos in the dam area. You mentioned possibly going there today. But if that doesn't work, can we arrange a flight to the site next week sometime?"

"Got a camera with you today?" His expression made her think of a childhood cousin who was clever at maneuvering games to his advantage. A slight grin tugged to one side of Stewart's lips.

She nodded. "Yes, my bag is in the pickup."

"You don't mind driving back without her, do you?"

"Well, not really." Curtiss sounded unsure of himself and this willful man.

All three of them stood there. Stewart did not offer any form of hospitality. It was as if he expected Curtiss to make a next move. And he did.

"Probably best if I start back right away. Don't want to miss the first inning of the Gold Panner game."

"Good of you to bring Miss LeRoy here." Steward lead the way to the front door.

"I can come back tomorrow for you, Danielle." Curtiss looked hopeful.

"No need. I'll fly her directly to town."

Danielle brushed pass him thinking his remark was perhaps suggestive. Or was her imagination tending to run rampant on him? Being infinitely aware his presence carried the scents of shaving cream, wooded forest, and a horse. His movement had power, yet he had a grace in his manner. Charm, intrigue, and slight fright.

She accompanied Curtiss to his pickup where he fumbled opening the door like a man not sure what had hit him. Danielle bent to the floor to retrieve her handbag, camera and jacket. Silky strands of loose hair partly covered her vision. As she rose awkwardly, Curtiss's arm twisted around her.

His eyes were glazed with passion as their bodies crashed together. Gentle lips met hers. It was a sweet, tender kiss. Curtiss, she knew, was a good, kind and truly fine person.

Releasing her, he mumbled, "I'll call before you leave Monday night."

"Fine". She wondered if his call was to make sure she returned to town.




Danielle LeRoy, main character
Stewart Bryant, new man in her life
Dr. Burns, college professor
Curtiss Hicks, friend at work
Social Friends: Ron,Gabe,Ivar,Rhonda,Dixie
Mr. Wright, company owner
Kevin Harbeson, boyfriend in Kansas
Ginger Kellar, housemate in Kansas
Starla Frost, young pregnant woman
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.