General Fiction posted October 19, 2020 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
New York, New York

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attack ofthe 50 States: New York

by Bill Schott


Researching items for New York has left me quite frustrated. There isn't enough space in this article to hold just the 'Oh, really?' things, let alone the 'You have got to be kidding me!' stuff.

As much as I have disappointed people on my not-all-inclusive, drive-by treatments of the first thirty-one states, I figure there is no way I could satisfy all of the New Yorkers, New York-philes, or the What-about-'Friends' folks.

I will do what I can to include what I know, along with what I deem suitable for public consumption.

New York City, often called simply New York, with 3.3 million people within 304 square acres, is the most densely populated city in the United States.

Yankees. Mets. Giants. Jets. Islanders Rangers. Knicks. Nets. NYCFC, Red Bulls

New York City was the first capital of the United States. George Washington was inaugurated on Wall Street.

New York Post established in 1801 as a Federalist newspaper by Alexander Hamilton.

The Big Apple: Brooklyn. Staten Island. Bronx. Manhattan. Queens.

Cooperstown: National Baseball Hall of Fame

Catskill Mountains: Rip Van Winkle       Dirty Dancing

Woodstock

Wall Street

United Nations

Empire State Building        King Kong

Twin Towers        911

Adirondack Park: six million acres of protected land.

Central Park

Harlem      Renaissance     Globe Trotters      The Apollo

Statue of Liberty

Broadway

SNL

Niagara Falls

Trump

Grand Central Station


My family travelled to the east coast in 1970, the year after we had driven out West. I recall New York City for all that I didn't see. We avoided a lot of those dense traffic areas, though we did pass by the Empire State Building. I saw the entrance and a few thousand people milling around. I felt like a bug riding through a shag rug.

I think my dad was simply trying to get through the city. Between the mountains and the city, I feel New York was chiefly presented to me through the filter of a man tired of driving.

The scenery of New York was probably beautiful and awe-inspiring, but after fifty years I confuse it with the mountains of South Korea in my memory.

My daughter went on a mission trip to New York City after her high school graduation. She and her group worked in the Bowery and slept on the floor of a church there.

My wife and daughter had a week together with three other women in New York City. They saw Wicked on Broadway, shopped in Times Square, rode the subway, visited Ground Zero, and bought the Brooklyn Bridge.

I think we're through here, so -- start spreadin' the news, I'm leavin' today.












 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.