Romance Fiction posted October 7, 2020 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Danielle looks at her life in a new way

A chapter in the book One Sunny Night

One Sunny Night-Chapter 2

by Alaskastory

The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.



Background
Character List:
Danielle LeRoy, main character
Stewart Bryant, new man in her life
Dr. Burns, college professor
Curtiss Hicks, friend she works with
Group of Friends: Ron, Gabe, Ivar, Rhonda, Dix
It was about six o'clock as Danielle drove Curtiss to a service station where his old yellow pickup was being worked on. They continued to talk about her presentation to Dr. Burns.

"I've never heard Dr. Burns pay anyone a better compliment than he did you, I've been working with him for a year now and others say I am good, but not the Professor. You sure have won him over, Danielle."

She smiled. "It was an interesting day. Someone was there before you arrived. Do you know Stewart Bryant?"

Curtiss focused on his pretty driver's profile. "Don't know him, but in the four years I've been here, sure heard plenty about him."

"I met him today. Seems like a nice man."

"Take a right at the next light and we'll go by Bryant Coal Company. He's made millions by raping of the land. Striped away mountains for the sake of dollars."

Danielle pictured Stewart Bryant sitting triumphantly atop a mammoth bulldozer with sharp blade slamming into earth. A knight armed to destroy.

"There it is." Disgust filling his voice and lean face was no surprise to her. Frequently she had shared discussions of environmental issues with him and the group he introduced her to.

A sign plainly announced, "Bryant Coal Company". They were near the train depot. Before them a train engine had attached a long line of metal connex boxes. They were all loaded with coal taken from mines.

"They say there's a three-hundred years supply that will come from mines via this railroad." Curtiss shook his head, then pointed down the street. "Texaco station is right up there."

A waving hand greeted them. Giving service at a gas pump was Ron, a friend of Curtiss. He had a degree in engineering and had applied a job with a water-sewer treatment company. Other friends who made Danielle feel welcome were Dixie and Rhonda who were in summer college classes; Gabe who coached a children's soccer team before his first-year teaching; and Ivar, an accountant studying for a CPA exam. Together with them she had gone canoeing down the Chena River, to local theater productions, and to Gold Miner baseball team games.

Ron leaned down at the car window. "Coming with us tonight, Danielle? It's showtime featuring The Shooting of Dan McGrew."

"You bet. Robert Service poetry is the best ever. See you both later." She left them standing by the yellow pickup and drove away toward the Traveler's Inn.

Her hotel room was on a high floor. Wandering around in the room she gazed out the window. Far away mountains were topped with white splashes of snow, still frozen this first day of June. Below her, traffic moved slow. She gazed at hanging flower boxes on buildings blossoming in amazingly bright colors.

Taking a deep breath, she concluded every day in her six weeks in Alaska had been productive, carefree, content. So why did this day feel different? She knew it was not for getting her job completely done, nor because she had to fly home Monday? The only unusual thing was meeting Stewart Bryant. That man made her feel like a teenager being winked at by a football all-star.

Instantly, her thoughts switched to Kevin Harbeson, her boyfriend. A man who should dominate her thoughts every day.

Danielle stretched out on the bed's pile of multicolored pillows. She reached for her wallet and pulled out a picture of Kevin showing a handsome man with a broad smile. He was confident, lively at parties, always making it a point to recognize people. That is, the right people. She knew he would not accept Curtiss or anyone in his group of friends. She realized they could not be important enough for Kevin. Ron was Mexican, Dixie was an Athabaskan and the others were not from wealthy well-known families.

"How can I think such things about Kevin." She sat up and grabbed her cellphone. She was certain of his good qualities. He was ambitious, hardworking, had a good sense of humor. There was no denying he was good looking, had marvelous taste in clothes, was respected and admired by the people he knew. She had felt lucky when he fell in love with her.

She pressed his number in Kansas City and the ring began. His time was 9:30, three hours later than here.

"Hey Babe, about time you returned my calls." The warm reception she expected was not there.

"Oh, yes. But, with time difference, it seemed too late to......"

"Hey, you been working till midnight? Last few I called by your time pass nine. I'd like to know what's been going on up there in the dark."

"It is not getting dark at night here, Kevin. I called to tell you I fly out Monday night. I'll see you Tuesday night and tell you about everything then. Okay?" She had forgotten how parental he could be with demanding to know her every move.

"Fine, Danielle. By the way, I broke the news to your roommate. I told her you were moving in with me soon as you get back."

"Kevin! You told Ginger that?"

"I got all ready. Made room in my closet. Even bought new pillows."

Anger swept over her. He was so demanding and used to always getting his way. "You know I only said I would think about it."

"Come on, Babe. You've been standing off too long. You know I'm ready for more than kisses with you. You know you're crazy about me. This way you'll have me all you want. Your twenty-four-hour stud."

"Kevin!"

"Just joking. But I'm serious about you moving in. What the hell, we'll probably be married in a year or so. Could make it official. An engagement if you want."

"I wish you wouldn't have said that to Ginger."

"Is that your answer? Danielle, I think you missed something here. Didn't I just propose?"

"I guess you did, sort of. Like I said before, I'll think about it. But right now, I've got to run. I'm going out with some friends."

"Really, out where?"

"To the Malemute Saloon. It's at a little gold rush town with sawdust on the floor, burlap on the ceiling, a honky-tonk piano, and a show with Robert Service poetry."

"Doesn't sound civilized. What are you wearing?"

"Jeans." She tried not to laugh. "Kevin, I don't think you would enjoy it."

"You poor gal. I suppose that's all there is to do up there."

"Not exactly. In only a couple of days I tell you all about it."

"Okay, I'll let you go. Love me much?"

Danielle hesitated. "Sure, see you soon."

She hung up with a sigh of relief. With no need to think more about Kevin, she hurried into a shower.

The night proved great fun in the restored saloon where a beer-drinking crowd was boisterous, the skits corny, but poetry was done to perfection. They had a group picture taken in old-time costumes at a tourist shop. She, with Rhonda and Dixie, posed in can-can dresses and dawned their hair in veils or feathered hats. On Danielle's outstretched leg, Ron reached for a garter and Curtiss peered mischievously at her cleavage. Together they lifted glasses on high.

Next morning, Danielle felt sentimental as she annualized the silly picture. Picking up her cellphone, she called her company in Kansas City. Talking with Mr. Wright, she gave him a brief report on her progress with her oil drilling project.

"I'm looking forward to reading all your material, Danielle. I might have you look into that dam project too. Right now, I'm disappointed in the pictures taken by Wilbur Hoke had on it.

"Really, I have a chance to fly over the Susitna area this weekend. It is with a friend of Dr. Burns. His name is Stewart Bryant."

"I know you are good at photography. Could you snap a few pictures for us?"

"Besides my cell, I got my camera with me. I'll do my best, Mr. Wright."

"I have confidence in you, Danielle. Look forward to seeing you later this week."

After the call, she felt intrigued, even excited about this new assignment. She grabbed her tote bag and left to meet Dixie and Rhonda at the University pool for a swim together.

Rhonda was tall, a strong athlete with short blond hair. Dixie was a petite, brown-skinned Athabaskan with a happy glow. After exercise, they hurriedly showered and blew their hair dry. Walking out of the building, they shared comments about the show the night before.

Dixie's expression enlightened. "Curtiss is driving you to the Bryant ranch today?"

"Yes, nice offer. I can turn the rented car in today."

"Ron's working so he can't go with you two. I heard Curtiss say he would have you to himself for a whole day."

"Oh, Dixie, he was just joking." Danielle looked into deep brown eyes that seemed worried.

Rhonda nudged with an elbow. "Come on, Dixie, we better get off to class. Best wishes on your flight home, Danielle."




With a new assignment Danielle anticipates adventure and she begins to look at her boyfriend, Kevin, in a different way.
A thank you to Susan FM.T. for sharing your picture.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Susan F. M. T. at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.