Romance Fiction posted October 5, 2020 Chapters: Prologue -1- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Completing her job assignments

A chapter in the book One Sunny Night

One Sunny Night

by Alaskastory

The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.



Background
Character List:
Danielle LeRoy, main character
Stewart Bryant, new man in her life
Dr. Burns, college professor
Curtiss Hicks, friend she works with
Group of Friends: Ron, Gabe, Ivar, Rhonda, Dix
CHAPTER 1

After six weeks away from home, Danielle LeRoy felt proud of herself. She had just completed an assignment of her dreams. She had worked at Kansas Environmental Projects Company for three years following her graduation from college in Kansas City.

Wearing high heels, Danielle hurriedly climbed stairs on a hillside at the University of Alaska. A summer breeze blew her blondish hair and whisked over her colorful short skirt. At the top of the long set of stairs she stopped, clinging onto folders stuffed with paper. She took a breath and looked out in the scenery. A scarcely filled parking lot laid below, grounds were speckled with pink wild rosebuds, and beyond green hillsides lay the city of Fairbanks.

As she approached tall buildings her heels clacked on concrete sidewalks. She jittered at her noise and was glad very few summer students were in sight. At a building's big double doors, she tugged on one. It did not open. Forcefully tugging again caused folders under her arms to tumble down.

"Having trouble?" A deep, masculine voice fluttered over her.

Gasping, Danielle whirled around and stared into blue-grey eyes in a handsome sun-soaked face. The corners of his mouth turned up in a slight smile. He leaned pass her and pressed open the other side door.

"Oh, I guess this side was latched." Being annoyed at herself, she turned away, bent down and quickly picked up the folders. "Thanks for your help."

"On your way to a class?" He holds the door open for her to enter.

"No, I'm not taking classes. I'm here to see Dr. Burns."

"A coincidence. He is a good friend. Thought I would greet him before going on to another meeting. All that paperwork you're carrying is for him?"

"In a way it is. My company in Kansas City sent me up here to have Dr. Burns help me complete a study." She lifted her head, feeling proud again. They began walking done the hall.

"Mind if I ask what kind of work?"

"An environmental impact statement on..."

"Don't tell me you're one of those preservationists who thinks Alaska should be locked up and become one big national park." Fire came into his eyes.

"Not exactly, but I certainly do believe in trying to save such things as whales from extinction." Danielle firmly drew in a breath.

"How's that? Force Eskimos to eat only what the government might provide?" His lowered voice seemed intent to humor her. A gaze lingered over her slim body.

"One day I plan to study all about whales and native cultures. But my current study is on off-shore oil drilling in the Arctic Ocean."

Danielle waved into an office window where an older man stood up from his desk and came to the door saying, "Miss LeRoy and Stewart. I see you are friends."

"Not quite, Dr. Burns."

"Not formally, John." He shook hands with Dr. Burn then turned to Danielle. Dancing grey eyes made his interest in her no secret. "I'm Stewart Bryant."

"This lady is Danielle LeRoy."

Stewart grabbed her hand, shaking it warmly for an extending length of time.

"I had expected her to arrive today with Wilbur Hoke and Allen Jacobs." Dr. Burns said from behind his desk.

"They both flew on board my Cessna a couple days ago from the Susitna area."

"I had a message from them before they flew back to Kansas City," Danielle said as she set her folders on Burns' desk and sat in a nearby chair. "What worries me is that they were not in the Susitna area long enough to answer some of the questions on the dam project."

Stewart sat down next to her. "I was planning to take my Cessna out near Susitna this weekend. Miss LeRoy, want to fly that area with me?"

"Great idea, Stewart. She could get a good idea there and great pictures. She also has talent with photography."

"I'd love to see the area." Danielle picked up one of her folders in an attempt to cover her excitement.

Stewart handed her a card. "Come by my place anytime tomorrow or give me a call."

"I will, Mr. Bryant." She turned to Dr. Burn. "Curtiss Hicks should be with us soon.

Stewart looked at his wristwatch and stood up. "It's time I get to another meeting. John, I wanted to remind you and Laura of the dinner party at my place next week."

"Parties at the ranch are special, Stewart. We'll be there."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Danielle LeRoy." He left wearing a smile that mysteriously gave a quiver down her back to her toes.

She gave him a stiff nod feeling a flushing pink face. Thinking there was no reason for that, she quickly reached for a folder and shrugged off having met a handsome stranger. Nothing mattered more in her life then this project. Plus, she promised to make a decision about her relationship with another handsome man, Kevin Harbeson. He is her boyfriend.

All thoughts faded when Dr. Burns began looking at her paperwork. He was making flattering comments when Curtiss Hicks entered the office.

"Make any dramatic discoveries?" Curtiss had an eastern, definitely New York, accent. During her short stay, he had helped with research and became a good friend. Socially in Fairbanks, he took her under his wing to meet others and see a few sights.

"Nothing new, Curtiss, but there are real concerns. Technology simply does not exist for cleaning up an oil spill in water like that. That water churns with huge hunks of ice and at such a velocity...." Danielle threw up her arms despairingly and got up to pace the room.

"You got that right." Fingers on a slightly bearded chin made Curtiss look thoughtful. He was of medium height and build, mid-twenties like herself. He wore glasses and had reddish-brown frizzy hair and beard the same color.

"Besides, in the case of a well blowout, the most expert workforce available would be required. Realistically, I can't imagine that kind of talent sitting around there waiting for the worst to happen."

"Young Lady, you have a feel for this off-shore oil exploration problem." Seriousness covered Dr. Burns' face. "You have made an astute observation."




Danielle is advancing in her career but feels her personal life may need changes.

Special thanks for art from Renote-Bertodi.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Renate-Bertodi at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.