General Fiction posted October 1, 2020 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Concord

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attackofthe50States:NewHampshire

by Bill Schott


New Hampshire is one of six states referred to as New England. The others are Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.

It's bordered by Massachusetts to the south, Vermont to the west, Maine and the Atlantic Ocean to the east, and the Canadian province of Quebec to the north. The capital is
Concord.

State motto is "Live Free or Die". The state's nickname is "The Granite State"; guess why.

In 1776, New Hampshire established its own state constitution and became one of the original 13 colonies that signed the United States Declaration of Independence. Then, in 1788, it ratified the United States Constitution.

Many French Canadians migrated to New Hampshire in the late 19th century; today 24.5% of the state identifies as French Americans.

Some of the highest ski mountains are on the east coast; New Hampshire's major recreational attractions include winter sports, hiking and mountaineering. The White Mountain National Forest links the Vermont and Maine portions of the Appalachian Trail.

Among prominent individuals from New Hampshire are Daniel Webster, Horace Greeley, Mary Baker Eddy, Robert Frost, Alan Shepard, Adam Sandler, restaurateurs Richard and Maurice McDonald (Golden Arches guys) and President of the United States Franklin Pierce.
That's all who are listed in Wikipedia, so the rest are either chopped liver or not really from New Hampshire.

My middle son got his Masters in Writing from Southern New Hampshire University.

New Hampshire has the shortest ocean coastline of any state in the United States, approximately 18 miles long.  About 7 miles offshore are the Isles of Shoals, nine small islands known as the alleged location of one of the buried treasures of the pirate Blackbeard.

Starting in 1952, New Hampshire became the location for the first presidential primary in every presidential election year. It is the most important testing grounds for candidates for the Republican and Democratic nominations.

New Hampshire's energy consumption is the lowest in the country. The Seabrook Station Nuclear Power Plant provides 57% of New Hampshire's electricity generation. Approximately 32% of New Hampshire's electricity consumption came from renewable resources (including nuclear, hydroelectric, wind, and other renewable resources). New Hampshire was a net exporter of electricity, exporting 63 trillion BTU (British thermal units).

The state has no general sales tax and no personal state income tax, but the property taxes are killer.

I was going to include an extensive list of folks from all walks of life and professions who are from this state, but there are too many and they are found on Wikipedia so, have at.

I have left a ton of stuff out about everything from NASCAR to summer stock theaters, but I am just one man with more states to minimally describe and possibly slander.

We are now leaving the much touted New Hampshire for the often maligned New Jersey.

 



Recognized


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.