General Fiction posted September 26, 2020 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cornhuskers

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attack of the 50 States:Nebraska

by Bill Schott


Nebraska is important to our family because of my brother-in-law, Tom Alward. He was a guard for the Nebraska Cornhuskers throughout his college career from 1970 through 1974.
He was drafted into the NFL's New York Jets, then joined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Finally, he moved to the WFL's Birmingham Vulcans, retiring from football when that league folded.

A couple of years ago, Tom's son, my nephew, Trevor, received his PhD in Education from Nebraska.

I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but my family drove out west from Michigan in 1969 when I was thirteen. I recall riding through Nebraska only because, in 1984, I watched the Stephen King movie, Children of the Corn, set in Nebraska. The image of miles and miles of corn stalks on either side of the road was reinforced and has supplanted any other sights I may have seen in that long, flat state.

In 1854 the Kansas-Nebraska Act went into effect to open up the Great Plains to settlers. That act cancelled out the Missouri Compromise and all future states would be on their own to decide if they were slave states or not. This, among other things led to southern states seceding and, of course, the Civil War.

The third novel in Willa Cather's trilogy of the Great Plains (O Pioneer, Song of the Lark, My Antonia) took place in Nebraska.

Father Flanagan's Boys Town is in Lincoln, Nebraska. It exists now, but I still remember the 1938 movie with Spencer Tracey and Mickey Rooney. Father Flanagan always said, "There's no such thing as a bad boy."

Wars in Nebraska:
1720     
Quadruple Alliance // Spain, Pueblo, & Apache vs Pawnee & Otoe
1855      First Sioux War      //  Brulé vs United States of America
1859      Pawnee War         //  Pawnee vs United States of America
1864      Cheyenne War      //  Cheyenne, Arapaho & Lakota vs Nebraska settlers
1865       Colorado War        //   Cheyenne, Lakota Sioux, & Arapaho vs USA
1876       Great Sioux War    //   Cheyenne vs United States of America

The capital of Nebraska was Lancaster.  In 1868 that city was renamed Lincoln in honor of the assassinated president.

Famous folks from Nebraska:

William Jennings Bryan      Lawyer  prosecuted Scope's Monkey Trial
Johnny Carson                   Tonight Show host for 30 years
Willa Cather                        author of O Pioneer   and My Antonia
Dick Cavett                         talk show host
Dick Cheney                       vice president
Hillary Swank                      actress
Cliff Hillegass                      Cliff Notes

I hope you've read enough about Nebraska. 


 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.