Supernatural Fiction posted September 22, 2020 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Revised chapter of The Curse/A Novel of the Breedine series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Shadow

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's a rewrite, so if you notice mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy and stay safe!
Although Carrie was desperate for sleep, she couldn’t shut her eyes. Every time she tried, her mind kicked up all those horrible images from earlier. Lying in bed, staring up at the ceiling, her thoughts continued to torment her. Her imagination seemed to be getting the best of her, spinning out of control. Tears fell from the corners of her eyes as flashbacks of Kevin’s body came to mind. There had been so much blood. It was everywhere. Just thinking about it sent chills up her spine. She huddled beneath the covers like a child afraid of the dark.

Who could have done such a thing? And why Kevin? Then, her thoughts went to another place. To the sickening memory of those creeps putting their hands on her, and to the thing that killed them. Whatever it was, it looked like something straight out of a horror flick. Were werewolves real? It didn’t seem possible that something like that could exist. She felt like she was losing her mind.

Could that werewolf thing be responsible for Kevin’s death? She swallowed the knot that had formed in the back of her throat and whispered, “Could it be… coming after me?”

But morning arrived without incident. When she got dressed and went downstairs, she heard voices coming from the kitchen. Carrie stopped and listened. She clearly recognized her roommate’s, but not the other voice. It sounded like a man. Maybe it was Ryan, she thought.

“Jessica…” she hesitantly called out.

“I’m in the kitchen,” Jessica hollered back. “I hope you’re dressed. We’ve got company.”

As Carrie started for the entrance to the kitchen, she stopped short when she caught sight of the guy inside. He wasn’t Ryan. Although Ryan was easy on the eyes, this guy didn't appear to be your average Joe. Going by his profile alone, his attractiveness registered off the charts. His dark, shoulder-length hair—pushed behind his ears—reminded her of the lead actor in the movie, John Wick, but with less facial hair. He had a lean muscular build and long legs. For some strange reason, she wondered what color his eyes were.

“Oh, there you are,” Jessica said, noticing Carrie standing outside the kitchen.

The guy faced her. As intense, blues eyes bored into her, Carrie’s body stiffened.  

Jessica motioned her inside. “Come meet my new friend.”

When Carrie looked between her roommate and the handsome stranger, she felt her mouth drop. A trail of goosebumps prickled over her skin, sensing something dark and lethal behind his spectacular blue eyes.

“Carrie, this is Joseph Parker,” Jessica said, grinning like a Cheshire cat.

Joseph smiled, revealing a perfect set of teeth. He stepped forward and extended his hand. “Hello, Carrie,” he said softly. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Carrie nodded hello and instantly took his hand. “It’s nice to meet you too, Joseph.”

The Shadow spoke into Joseph’s subconscious. “Mmmm… she looks scrumptious.”

As he released her hand, Carrie tilted her head in question, feeling like she’d seen him somewhere before. “You look familiar. Have we previously met?”

Joseph narrowed his eyes, wondering if she’d spotted him last night in the bar. Surely, she didn’t see him during the attack… did she?

“Tell her no,” the Shadow simply said. 

Joseph shook his head. “I don’t believe so.”

“He’s come to your rescue,” Jessica said. “Isn’t that right, Joseph?”

The Shadow laughed. “We’ve come to take your soul.”

Carrie glanced over at her friend and then looked back at Joseph. He appeared nervous. Then, after a few seconds, he brought his hand forward again. This time, he had a purse in his grasp. “I… ah, think this belongs to you.”

“Can you believe it?” Jessica’s eyes lit up. “He found your purse. Isn’t that great, Carrie?”

There was silence for a moment. Carrie seemed lost for words. She couldn’t take her eyes off the white handbag. Impossible, she thought. Finally, she looked to his handsome face and muttered, “Where did you find it?”

“I found it on Richmond Street this morning,” Joseph said as Carrie slowly reached for the purse. “That’s the route I usually bike. I spotted it in a ditch. The silver handle caught my attention. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have seen it in all those weeds.”

“We are good liars,” the Shadow whispered to Joseph.

“How did you know it belonged to me?” Carrie hesitantly asked.

He tuned out the voice in his head and shot her an apologetic smile. “Sorry, but I looked at your ID.” 

Carrie unzipped the small handbag and dug her hand inside. When she found her wallet and her cell phone, she looked back up at Joseph. “I don’t know what to say?”

“How about thank you,” Jessica spouted.  

“Oh, of course,” Carrie said, smiling ruefully. “You’ll have to excuse me. I’m not thinking too clearly this morning. It’s been a long night.” She set the purse down on the counter and offered her hand to Joseph. “Thank you for returning it.”

He took her hand and lightly squeezed. “You’re welcome, Carrie.”

Then, an awkward silence filled the room.

“Joseph was telling me about his exciting job,” Jessica said, breaking the tension. “He’s a freelance journalist for the San Francisco Chronicle.”

“I like Jessica.” The Shadow smacked his lips. “She looks tasty.” 

“Oh, really.” Carrie cocked her head to the side. “That’s interesting. How long have you been a writer?”

“Basically, since I was a teenager,” he said, nervously shoving his hands into the front pockets of his jeans. “The day I read my first mystery novel I knew I wanted to be a writer. That’s when I decided to jump into journalism.”

With her interest piqued, she said, “So, who’s your favorite?”

“As in,” he shrugged, “a writer?”

Carrie nodded.

“I’d have to say, Ernest Hemingway.”

“Liar,” the Shadow remarked. “Stephen King is our favorite.”

“How so?” Carrie queried.

“Mostly because of his works, although,” Joseph cocked a brow, “there’s one quote he wrote that really stayed with me growing up.”

“Well…” Jessica butted into the conversation again. “Tell us. We’re dying to know.”

“Oh, you’ll be dying,” the Shadow drawled. “I promise.”

 Joseph kept his eyes locked on Carrie’s and said, “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.”

“Smooothhh…” the Shadow hissed.

Carrie shivered at the musical lilt of Joseph’s voice, and the way he pronounced his words. It spread through her, calming her, comforting her somehow. She wanted to know more about this mysterious, handsome man.

“I like it,” Carrie said, gazing into his piercing blue eyes. “Would you care for a cup of coffee?”

Joseph checked his watch. “Sure. I have a few minutes, but only if it’s no trouble.”

“Of course not. I was about to make one myself.” She smiled and glanced at her roommate. “How about you, Jess?”

“Oh, no thanks. I’m meeting Ryan across the street at Chloe’s Café.” She averted her eyes from Carrie and looked to Joseph. “Maybe you two would like to join us?”

“Make up an excuse,” the Shadow urged.

“Sorry,” Joseph said. “I don’t have long. I’ve got to be somewhere shortly. Maybe another time?”

“Yeah, sure,” Jessica said and then turned toward Carrie, flashing her a mischievous grin. “Give Joseph your number so we can plan a double date.”

Carrie blushed and shot her roommate a menacing look.

“Or, if you’d like,” Joseph said, “maybe just the two of us could go out for dinner sometime.”

With a smile, Carrie clipped her emotions in place, putting the previous night in the back of her mind and said, “S-sure. That sounds nice. Actually,” she paused and smiled, “I should be the one offering you dinner. You saved me a lot of trouble.”

“It was no problem,” Joseph said. “I’m glad I could help out. But I would still like to take you out to dinner. How about tonight? But if that’s too short notice…”

“She’d love to,” Jessica blurted. “Besides,” she batted her brows, “it is Valentine’s Day.”

Carrie frowned at Jessica.

“Oh, crap…” Joseph threw his hands up. “I totally forgot. If you already have plans, I completely understand.” 

“No, it’s fine,” Carrie said. “My plans have recently changed. I’m free tonight.”

“You sure? I mean, if you don’t want to go…”

“No, no,” Carrie said. “I want to go.” 

“Great.” Joseph smiled. “It’s a date then.”
   
“Yummy,” the Shadow said. “I can’t wait.”

“I better get going,” Jessica said. “It was nice meeting you, Joseph.”

“Thanks.” He dipped his head a little. “You too.”

Jessica winked at Carrie as she turned to leave and said, “Enjoy your coffee.”

A few minutes later, Carrie poured two cups of coffee and said, “So Joseph, how do you take your coffee?”

“Just black, please.”

Carrie arched a brow. “Are you sure?”

When he nodded, she said, “Well, I’m the opposite. I need lots of sugar in mine.” Her face scrunched up like she’d bit into something sour. “I don’t know how you drink it without it.”

She placed both mugs on the table and said, “Please, make yourself comfortable.”

“Thanks,” he said, sitting down in a chair across from hers.

He watched her take careful sips of her coffee, noticing how lovely her face was. The bone structure so delicate, her jaw a graceful arch running from her small ears to her perfectly shaped chin, her cheeks high and tinted with a small amount of blush. Her lips were plump, the bottom fuller than the top. Her long, sandy blonde hair was pulled up into a ponytail. 

“So, Carrie,” he said, breaking the silence, “what do you like to eat?”

She looked up from her coffee. “Pretty much anything as long as it’s fully cooked.”

“I take it you’re not a big fan of Sushi.”

She raised her upper lip. “That and oysters.”

He chuckled. “I’ll make note of that.”

“What about you?” she asked. “Is there anything particular you dislike?”

“Nope. I’ll eat pretty much anything.”

“And everything,” the Shadow muttered inside Joseph’s head. “Especially pretty blondes.”

Joseph reached for his coffee and before he took a sip, he said, “Aside from disliking Sushi and oysters, what do you do? I mean… as in work.”

“I’m a substance abuse counselor. I specialize in treating patients who have a chemical dependency on drugs or alcohol.”

“Oh god…” the Shadow groaned. “That sounds too much like a shrink. Let’s eat her before she tries to get inside our head.”

“Really?” Joseph said, raising a brow. “That sounds interesting. How long have you been a counselor?”

“Right after I graduated college and became licensed, I applied at New Hope Foundation here in Berkeley. I’ve been there for three years now.”

“That’s great,” he said, trying his best to sound enthusiastic. “Sounds like you enjoy what you do.”

“Yeah.” The tone in her voice deflated a little. “Most of it anyway.”

He shrugged. “What do you mean by that?”

“Oh…” she sighed, “…don’t get me wrong. I do enjoy helping people, it’s just that sometimes the people you work for can turn your passion into something you dread.”

“It’s your boss, isn’t it?”

Carrie’s mouth formed a lop-sided grin. “How did you guess?”

“It’s in your eyes, and the tone of your voice when I asked if you enjoyed what you did for a living.”

Oh Lord, she thought. Not only is he handsome and smart, he’s observant as well.

“I’ve seen this kind of thing go on where I work,” he went on to say. “I’m betting your boss is a female. Am I right?”

She looked at him puzzled. “Yeah, why do you ask?”

“Isn’t it obvious,” he said. “You’re young, pretty, and intelligent. I’m sure your boss is good at what she does, but I’m guessing she’s not as young, not that attractive and a little on the heavy side. Am I right so far?”

When she nodded, he said, “She’s probably one of those jealous types and see’s you as a threat.”

She narrowed her eyes. “You really think so?”

“More than likely. Why else would she go out of her way to make you miserable at work? A few women employed at the Chronicle have been let go for this kind of behavior. Believe it or not, one of my male colleagues had something similar with his boss. It was so bad, he finally had to go to corporate.”

“That’s horrible. Did your employers ever do anything about it?”

Joseph nodded. “It took a while, but eventually, they got rid of him.”

“Why do some people have to be so immature?” Carrie said, rolling her eyes. “Jeez… it’s so childish. Why can’t everyone just be professional?”

“I wish I had the answers.” He shook his head. “Although, I’m a big believer of karma. Good or bad, whatever you put out there in the world eventually comes back to you.”

“You really think so?”

“Trust me,” he said. “I’ve witnessed it myself a time or two.”

“Are you saying you’ve seen bad things happen to bad people?”

“Bad people taste sweeter,” the Shadow retorted. “Kevin was delicious.” 

“Yep.” He took a sip of his coffee. “Take my colleague’s situation for example. His boss lost his job. A year later, I heard he couldn’t find employment and lost everything he owned, plus his wife divorced him. And I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before your boss gets hers.”

“Give us the bitch’s name and address,” the Shadow said, drawling out the S’s like the warning of a rattler’s tail. “We can take care of her like we did Kevin.”  
      
“Although Veronica clearly deserves her share of karma,” she said. “I never wish ill-will on anyone, not even a jerk like her.”

“That’s because you’re a good person, Carrie. You deserve good things.”

“Joseph… what are you saying?” the Shadow grumbled. “Remember… she’s food.”  
 
“Thanks Joseph.” Carrie’s eyes brightened, and for some reason, her cheeks flushed. “Although I’m relieved you found my purse,” she bashfully said, “I’m actually glad I got the chance to meet you. You come across as a genuine guy. That’s something a girl doesn’t easily come by these days.”

“Dear God,” the Shadow moaned. “What’s with this broad? She’s ruining my appetite.” 
                     

Joseph reached across the table and placed his hand over hers. “It doesn’t matter what brought me here,” he said softly. “I’m just glad our paths crossed.”

Carrie's heart practically skipped a beat as Joseph removed his hand. Was she dreaming? She had to be, because guys like him didn’t exist in her reality… or did they? If so, she’d never known one. All the guys she’d ever met were like Kevin or worse. And then, she wondered what kind of lover he was. God, she could only imagine. By his caring eyes, the soft tone of his voice, his kissable lips, his perfect skin, and those long legs… he was probably amazing.

“Oh, look at the time,” Joseph said, his voice snapping her back to focus. “I’d love to stay longer and chit-chat, but I’ve got to get going.” He quickly took another drink of his coffee and rose from his chair.

“Yeah, me too,” she said as she scooted her chair back and pushed to her feet. “I’m already in hot water for calling in late. If I don’t make it in before noon, I’ll never hear the end of it.”

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I didn’t realize you weren’t feeling well. You’re not coming down with something are you?” he asked, although he already knew the reason why she’d called in late.

“No, I’m fine,” she said. “Just didn’t sleep all that good last night.”

“I take it you were worried about misplacing your purse.”

“Yeah…” she hesitantly said. “Something like that.”

He extended his hand. “Well, it was a pleasure meeting you, Carrie.”

She grasped a hold of his hand and said, “You too, Joseph.”

“I’ll see you tonight,” he said, releasing her hand. “I’ll pick you up, say… around six?”

“That’s perfect.”

As he turned away, she said, “Oh wait… maybe we should exchange numbers in case something comes up. I mean, you never know.”

“What are you waiting for?” the Shadow asked. “Take her, Joseph. I’m starving.”

He wheeled around and stared blankly off into the distance. His face was as white as a sheet.

“Joseph?”

He said nothing, just stood there, staring.

“Joseph, are you okay?”

“Do it, Joseph,” the Shadow demanded. “Do it now!”

Joseph flinched and said, “Sorry… what did you say?”

“Um…” Carrie looked at him perplexed. “I was just asking if you wanted my number.”

“Oh yeah,” he lightly chuckled. “I forgot to ask you.”

After he retrieved his cell phone from his back pocket, he smiled tightly and said, “You’re not going to give me a fake number, are you?”

She set aside his odd behavior and said, “That sounds like something my roommate would do. Besides, you already know where I live, so…”

They laughed and exchanged numbers.

A few minutes later, as Joseph left Carrie’s apartment and got behind the wheel of his Jeep Wrangler, the Shadow said, “Why didn’t you take the girl?”

“You know I can’t be late for my appointments,” Joseph said in a hushed voice, looking into the rearview mirror as black, soulless eyes peered back at him. “I’m still on probation. If my therapist detects any odd behavior, I could be sent back to the institute.”

“You like her… don’t you, Joseph?”

“I think Carrie is a good person. I don’t want to…,” he swallowed hard, “…hurt her.”

“Have your fun with the girl,” the Shadow said, “but don’t get too attached. One way or another, we will have her.” 

To be continued . . .   
 
 

 
 




A reference for terms and cast of characters in the chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Carrie Randall - She's in her mid-twenties and works as an substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California.

Kevin - Carrie's ex-boyfriend, brutally murdered by the Shadow.

Jessica Phillips - She's Carrie's close friend and roommate.

Ryan Grayson - He's Jessica's boyfriend.

Joseph Parker - He's in his mid-twenties and works as a freelance journalist for the Sans Francisco Chronicle. At a very young age, while he witnessed his father beat his mother to death, an evil entity, called the Shadow, invaded his body, teaching him how to survive as he grew up in abusive foster families, until eventually, he was placed in a mental institution due to his psychopathic behavior. Years later, with the Shadow's guidance, Joseph manipulated his counselors into believing he could live among society. Now that he is free, the Shadow remains inside Joseph's subconscious, driving him to kill whomever he desires.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.