General Fiction posted September 15, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Story about Thunderous Days

Moment of illumination

by zanya


Twenty year Lord Edward was preparing to return home to Norfolk on the morrow.

'Grandpa,' he began, 'now you are getting on in years perhaps you need my assistance at Daimlor Hall?'

'Why, young man,' Grandpa replied, 'that is a change from your usual hurry to return to Norfolk and your society there.'

Edward, blushing slightly, moved out of Grandpa's range of vision before slamming the great wooden door behind him and exiting down the avenue.

'Butler Haines,' grandpa called out, 'where is young Edward heading on this final afternoon of his stay? Surely he has matters to attend to ahead of his departure.'

Haines cleared his throat, before replying curtly, 'I am not acquainted with the young man's schedule.'
Being familiar with Haines over many decades, Grandpa knew his curt reply meant something was afoot.

Though it was late August, the sky had become a dangerous black.

'Haines,' grandpa enquired,' are there thunderstorms approaching?'

Before Haines had time to reply, a roll of thunder crashed as if it would awaken the sleeping dead. Lightning lit up the eastern sky.

Rain lashed through the open window in the library. Haines rushed hither and yon to secure the casement against the violent thunder storm.

As he reached for the window latch of the morning room his eyes caught sight of a young man and woman sheltering from the storm beside the orangerie. As apple trees laden with autumn fruit bent low beneath the rain, the couple appeared to hold each other close in a warm embrace. Haines secretly hoped his eyes were deceiving him.

'Good heavens, what the devil,' Haines blurted out, recognising Lord Edward's hunting gear which he had donned earlier. Haines was puzzled as to the identity of the young woman, of apparent regal demeanour and bearing.

Interrupted by Haines' outburst,
Grandpa, who was  standing in the center of the morning room consulting his geographic guide to weather patterns, lifted his gaze.

'What is it Haines,' he asked, 'have you seen a ghost?'

'No, sir, not exactly a ghost sir, perhaps the ghost of times past and the lack of observance of courtship rituals in our times.'

'Courtship,' grandpa murmured, 'who on earth is discussing courtship rituals in the middle of a thunderstorm?'

By now, Grandpa was looking, with the aid of his lorgnette, out of the same window as Haines.

'Who the devil is sheltering by the orangerie in a thunderstorm? Why it's young Edward, my grandson, wooing his lady beneath flashes of lightning.'

Turning to Haines, Grandpa smiled, adding,' Courtship is not what it used to be, eh, Haines, no more placing chaste kisses on the young lady's wrist.'

Haines was dumbfounded, 'not quite sir, not quite sir. I wooed my lady on country walks and hunting trips.'

Grandpa's wrinkled face broke into a grin, 'Haines, we took too long a-wooing our ladies fair. These young men are in a hurry. Now I know why Edward was so keen to come visit me more often. Not for the love of his old Gramps but a young lady fair. I love to think his old Grandpa's blood swells hot in his young veins.'

Haines mopped his ageing brow. in disbelief, before disappearing into the shadows.



'



Thunderous Days writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story about a character who is stuck outside in the middle of a huge thunderstorm.


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.