Supernatural Fiction posted September 15, 2020 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedine series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Wolf-Man/Part 3

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. Stay safe & enjoy!
He had to act quickly. He’d been forced to seek cover, hiding in the dark shadows as two men intervened with his next kill. Yet, they were not human, he realized.

He could smell their scent, too—as surely as he smelled the blood from the remnants of the raw meat of his victim’s flesh.

Should he attack and take what rightly belonged to him? As the desperate need to kill surged through every vein, filling him with agony, he did not.

No matter, he thought. He would follow them. They would lead him to the girl.

As his mind drifted to Jena, he closed his eyes and remembered the last time he had gazed upon her face. It wouldn’t be long now. Her life as she knew it was drawing near the end, and finally, she would be his. The anticipation was almost more than he could bear. Just thinking of it made him ache. She would learn submission and oh, how she would love him. He would take her to his own private world of eternal darkness.

“Jena,” he whispered and then turned at the sound of approaching footsteps.

In a kind of fascination, he watched as three men engaged in conversation only a few feet away. They were different from the ones before. But they too were not human.

He narrowed his eyes and listened.

The one with a dark Mohawk sounded frustrated, his words tinged with discontent as he stood addressing two men with long, blond hair who were obviously identical twins.

“I just got off the phone with Tim,” Drakon said. “Instead of taking Ms. Tara Hood to the hospital, he’s having Lawrence deliver her to the Covenant. Helen is meeting them there.”

Both Jace’s and Jem’s eyes rounded.

Jace huffed in exasperation. “What the... but she’s human,” he protested. Then he cast a glance at his twin, who stood next to him, his expression grim. “I think it’s a bad idea.”

Jem shifted uncomfortably and heaved a sigh. “I don’t see any way around it. We can’t have her talking to the police. They’ll think she’s lost her damn mind. We already have enough to deal with. If human reporters find out the girl’s identity that was attacked in the cemetery, they’ll hound her relentlessly. Besides, she’ll need our protection. It’s possible whatever this creature is, both girls could be in danger. It may see them as a threat and try to finish what it set out to do in the first place.”

“I agree,” Drakon confirmed, smoothing a hand over the spiked strip of hair down the middle of his head. “They’ll be safe in the Covenant. Tim is going to have Helen relocate Ms. McCain in our care after she’s released from the hospital. She’ll need to be monitored for the next hundred or so days.”

Jace shrugged. “What for?”

“Because...” Drakon paused, clearing his throat, “Ms. McCain was bitten by the creature.”

“You’re not talking about the curse of the Rougarou are you?” Jem queried.

Jace’s eyes narrowed and he turned to stare at his brother. “I thought that was just a myth.”

Drakon shook his head. “No, it’s real. The creature can stay dormant underground for years until it’s time to feed again. This savage killer has preyed on humans since the 1800s. He’s been responsible for several unsolved crimes throughout history,” he continued to explain. “Among the Breedline, he is known as The Werewolf of New Orleans, The Louisiana Vampire, The Blood Moon Killer, and The Beast Man. It’s said that he was thought to be the notorious serial killer, Jack the Ripper.”

“Holy shit,” Jace muttered. “Are you serious?”

“He’s right,” Jem pointed out. “And what’s worse, we cannot destroy it.”

Jace made a dry sound of amusement. “That’s messed up. So, what the hell are we going to do?”

We are not going to do anything,” Roman said as he walked up behind them.

Everyone turned to Roman in surprise.

Jace narrowed his eyes in confusion. “What do you mean we are not going to do anything? Why the hell not?”

Roman moved closer. “Hold on,” he fired back, holding a hand up. “Let me explain.”

Jace cocked a brow. “Well, I’m waiting.” His voice sounded impatient. “Let’s hear it.”

“Earlier today, Lawrence and I went to see his sister, Melanie,” Roman hesitantly said. “She has a special ability that is supposed to be kept a secret from humans, but considering the dire situation, and the fact that we don’t exactly fall into that category, I think it’s safe to say I won’t be breaking any rules by telling you.”

“What are you getting at, Roman?” Drakon chimed in.

Roman let out a deep breath and simply said, “Melanie can speak to angels.”

Jace leaned in and held up his hands in question. “And?”

“Remember the redheaded battle angel that took Sebastian?”

When Drakon, Jace, and Jem nodded at Roman, he continued to explain. “Well, her name is Lailah, and Mel contacted her. She and another battle angel, you know the one that looked a lot like Billy Idol?

When they nodded, he continued, “Anyway, they are coming back to help us destroy this creature.”

“Thank God,” Jace said with a sigh of relief.

“There’s more, isn’t there, Roman?” Drakon asked in a deep baritone.

Roman looked agonized. His jaw clenched and he glanced at all of them as if weighing whether or not to tell them the rest.

Jem placed his hand on Roman’s shoulder. “Roman, we need to know everything Lawrence’s sister told you. Whatever it is, we’re not going to judge or otherwise say anything negative about Melanie.” He eyed Jace, making sure he understood the implied suggestion.

Without voicing his opinion, which was rare, Jace nodded an understanding.

“None of the battle angels have the power to destroy this creature,” Roman said. “Lailah can only trap it with her holy fire. I’m not sure what the other angel can do, but apparently God has tasked them to bring four others along who possess the ability to help take down this creature.”

“Do you know who they are?” Jem asked.

“Sebastian and the Fury,” said Roman.

Jace shot forward, and he was about to explode, but Jem flung his hand out to silence his brother, his expression fierce. Jace’s lips tightened but he stepped back and didn’t further interrupt.

The look on Drakon’s face ranged from incredulity, to doubt, to what in the hell is Roman smoking? He shook his head. This whole thing sounded crazy. He couldn’t even wrap his head around it. But the important thing was that Lawrence believed his sister, and Roman believed her too.

“What did Lawrence’s sister say about the Fury?” Drakon asked Roman. “Won’t they be just as dangerous as this creature we’re dealing with?”

“Melanie said God has lifted their lust for human blood. She explained it as if they’d been reborn.”

“So, I guess this means Sebastian is alive,” Jace finally said. “How is that bastard tied into all this?”

Roman looked at Jace, despair gleaming in the shadowed depths. “I’m sorry, Jace. Mel didn’t say.”

“Did she... did she give you any idea when this is all supposed to take place?” Drakon hedged.

“Mel just said soon,” Roman replied.

Shit! Drakon thought. “Okay, this is what we’re going to do,” he said, taking charge. “I’ll call Tim while you guys finish cleaning up the body so we can tow the truck to the Covenant. Between Tim and Tessa, maybe they can figure out what the hell we need to do next.”

“Someone needs to tell Eve and Anna about Sebastian,” Jem spoke out, changing the subject. “They deserve to know he’s still alive. Especially since it’s a good possibility he’ll show up at the Covenant.”

“I don’t know.” Jace shook his head. “I think it’s a bad idea. Besides, if I catch him near my family—”

“Come on, Jace,” Jem cut him off. “Put yourself in their shoes. What if it were you? Don’t you think Tessa and Cassie would want to know the truth if they thought you were dead?”

“He’s right, Jace,” Drakon pointed out. “I agree with your brother. They need to know.”

Jace threw his hands up in defeat. “Alright, alright,” he grumbled. “I get it already.”

“I’ll tell Mia as soon as we get back to the Covenant,” Jem said. “I think it would be best for Eve to hear it from her sister. Since Eve has become close to Sebastian’s sister, I’m sure she would want to be the one to tell her.”

Drakon nodded. “I agree. Thanks, Jem.”

As he watched the four men walk away, a sinister smile curled his wolfish lips. They were all mistaken, he thought. Only my own kind has the power to destroy me.

To be continued. . .

 




A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele-a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research-he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization. He resides in the California Breedline Covenant along with team members, Lawrence, Bull, Justice, and Lena.

Lawrence Colbert - A Breedline council member of the New Jersey Covenant, trained in military tactics and as a medic who worked alongside Roman Kincaid, the Special Ops team, and the Breedline Covenant to help take down Valkin Steele.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.