General Fiction posted September 16, 2020 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Twin Cities

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attack ofthe 50 States:Minnesota

by Bill Schott


I'm going to try not to go too quickly through Minnesota, as I spent so much time on Michigan, that I may only have a whistle stop amount of intel on MinneSOta, yah?

The capital of Minnesota is Saint Paul. I know, you thought it was Minneapolis, the twin city. Minnesota Twins, get it? No, it's St. Paul. Fifty-three percent of the state lives near Minneapolis/St. Paul.

The state was largely settled by Scandinavian, German, and Czech families, and that remains the majority culture. Minnesota Vikings, get it? In the last decade an Asian populace has developed as well.

Minnesota is the northernmost of the forty-eight contiguous states. It borders Lake Superior to the east, Canada to the north, Iowa to the south, and North and South Dakota to the west.

Speaking of Dakota, they were the prominent indigenous nation in this area. Minnesota is a Dakotan name for 'blue water'.

When I lived in Iowa, we took the opportunity to drive up to Bloomington, Minnesota to go through the famous Mall of America. The huge shopping center [boasts more than 520 stores, 60 restaurants, Nickelodeon Universe (a 7-acre indoor amusement park), SEA LIFE Aquarium, a comedy club, world-class gaming and entertainment centers, the LEGO Store, mini-golf, and tons of other family attractions and nightlife options.]

Let's not forget that the fictional town of Frostbite Falls is the home of Rocky the Flying Squirrel and Bulwinkle J. Moose. If you look closely you might also spy Boris Badinov and Natasha lurking behind a Douglas Fir tree.

I'm heading for M-I-SS-I-SS-I-PP-I.

 



Recognized


Minnesota Twins are their professional baseball team
Minnesota Vikings are their professional football team.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.