Supernatural Fiction posted September 8, 2020 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedine series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Wolf-Man/Part 2

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. Please stay safe and enjoy!
Previously. . .

Tara fell to her hands and knees on the wet, mucky ground. On all fours, she forced her injured body onward and crawled until her bare hands felt the rough exterior of the road. Despite the pain and the loss of blood from a cut on her forehead, she managed to get to her feet. She was shaking so she could barely trust her legs to support her weight. All the while, feeling dizzy and lightheaded, she kept waiting for the feel of the beast’s sharp claws, knowing it was getting close.

Without warning, a horn blared behind her. Tara flinched and whirled around as a black Hummer screeched to a stop only three feet away. She put her hand above her eyes to block its bright headlights, noticing another SUV as it pulled up alongside it. Then one of the windows slid down.

“Ma’am, are you all right?” said a man. His voice was a deep baritone.


Tara shook her head. Even though it was a complete stranger, she felt an immense sense of relief. When she turned to look for the creature, it was gone. It simply vanished, leaving nothing but empty shadows.

“P-please, I need help,” was all Tara could think of to say as she toppled forward and dropped to her hands and knees.

Seconds later, the sound of doors opening, voices ex­changing, and heavy footsteps came next. Then she felt a pair of strong hands gently cradle her body as if she was a small child. The stranger lifted her off the ground effortlessly.

“Don’t worry, ma’am,” the man told her, carefully placing her inside the large SUV. “I’m a trained medic.”

As he placed a cloth on her forehead and applied pressure to the deep cut, she caught a glimpse of his face. He had the oddest color of eyes. They were so green the color glimmered in the darkness. He was dark-skinned and ruggedly handsome, reminding her of the character Raze in the movie Underworld.

His emerald-green gaze looked upon her with kindness as he began to examine her with professional efficiency. “Are you injured anywhere else?”

Tara moved her hand on her left side and gasped in pain.

“Easy there,” he soothed Tara, softly caressing her shoulder. “You may have some broken ribs.” Then she heard him speak to someone else. “We need to get her to the Bates Hospital.”

Tara listened to the other man say, “Shouldn’t we check to make sure no one else was in the accident?” He spoke with some kind of European accent.

An overwhelming feeling suddenly took hold of Tara. Her body felt as though she was floating and her lids started to close.

The Raze doppelganger lightly shook her shoulder and said, “Miss, I need you to keep your eyes open for me. Can you tell me your name?”

Forcing her eyes to stay focused, she muttered, “T-Tara.” She cleared her throat. “Tara Hood.”

“Tara, my name is Lawrence Colbert. And my friend here is Roman Kincaid,” he said in a reassuring voice. “I promise we’re going to get you help. But before we take you to the hospital, we need to know if there was anyone else with you.”

For a brief second, the world went hazy. Suddenly, the sounds of Brandon’s nightmarish screams and the image of the creature dragging his lifeless body flashed inside her head. As her lips began to tremble, tears spilled down her cheeks. “Oh God,” she cried out. “Brandon...”

Lawrence looked away from Tara and shifted his eyes toward Roman. “Stay here with her,” he said. “I’ll go check.”

Tara grabbed ahold of Lawrence’s shirt with a tight grip. “It’s too late,” she said, sobbing. “It killed him.”

Lawrence narrowed his eyes. “What killed him, Tara?”

Her eyes rounded in fear. “I tried to warn him, but it ran out in front of us. I... it just came out of nowhere,” she stammered. “Brandon tried to stop. H-he swerved. He tried not to hit it.”

Hit what?” Lawrence queried.

Fiercely, she shook her head as more images pounded in her subconscious. “It was dark... foggy.” Her voice was trembling, her whole body shaking. “It was something... big!”

She buried her face in her hands and struggled to breathe. It was too much shock for her to process. God, she wanted this to be only a dream.

“Please, Ms. Tara,” Lawrence pressed further. “Try to calm down. This is very important. What was it you saw?”

As Tara lowered her hands, she stared at Lawrence in mute horror. Then she exhaled a deep breath and said, “It was some kind of wild animal. It looked like a wolf, yet it stood like a man.”

Lawrence shot Roman a look that told him without words what he was thinking.

Shit! Roman silently mouthed.

“I need you to think, Tara,” said Lawrence. He had a seriousness to his tone. “Did this animal bite you?”

When she shook her head, Roman exhaled, realizing he’d been holding his breath.

“Okay, good,” Lawrence said, breathing a sigh of relief. “Let’s get you to the hospital.”

“What about...” she briefly paused, her lips quivering, “Brandon’s body?”

“Don’t worry, Tara,” Roman said, trying his best to console her. “While Lawrence drives you to the hospital, I’ll stay here and see to it he’s properly taken care of.”

She frantically shook her head. “Please, it’s not safe.” She raised her voice. “That thing could still be out here. You need to call the—”

“Trust me, Ms. Tara,” Lawrence interjected. “Roman will be just fine. He’ll call for help.”

There was a rock-hard assurance to his voice and a comforting look in his eyes. Despite her fears, the unwavering confidence in his words soothed her.

Tara sighed. “Thank you, both,” she said, her voice laced with gratitude. “If you hadn’t gotten here when you did.” She swallowed back tears. “You saved my life.”


To be continued . . .




A reference for terms and cast of characters in the chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele - a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research - he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization. He resides in the California Breedline Covenant along with team members, Lawrence, Bull, Justice, and Lena.

Lawrence Colbert - A Breedline council member of the New Jersey Covenant, trained in military tactics and as a medic who worked alongside Roman Kincaid, the Special Ops team, and the Breedline Covenant to help take down Valkin Steele.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.