General Fiction posted September 7, 2020 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Remember --- Maine

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attack of the 50 States: Maine

by Bill Schott


Maine is the northernmost state in the lower forty-eight, connecting only to New Hampshire . It is surrounded on the north by Canada and the Atlantic Ocean to the south.

Pretty much its name comes from a French city and likely means 'land'.

It's part of what's known as New England, which are a cluster of states to the northeast. It always reminds me of a turkey leg when viewed on a map which designates what's America and what's Canada.

It has thousands of acres of timber, pristine lakes, and is THE place for lobster and clams. Ninety percent of the country's lobster dinners come from Maine. Blueberries are plentiful as well, filling 90% of the nations need. (These numbers are from Wikipedia so, yeah)

There are ninety-five lighthouses along the three-thousand mile coastline of the state. 

I recall in boot camp, one of our drill instructors, Staff Sergeant Martinez, was from Texas. He told the recruits who said that they were from Texas to never say it. They, in his opinion, were not good enough to possibly be from the same state as he. If they were ever asked where they were from, they were to answer, "Maine". It was another big state. He was joking of course, unless he tested them and they said Texas; then the thrashing began.

Derry, Castle Rock, and Salem's Lot, Maine are three fictional towns used by horror writer, Stephen King, in his novels. The author has said that each town is based on the city of Bangor, in which he would find areas for scenes and sit nearby and write.

"Remember the Maine" was a call to arms to rally Americans into the Spanish-American War back in 1898. The battleship USS Maine was sunk in the the harbor of Havana, Cuba. Secretary of the Navy at the time, Theodore Roosevelt, although probably knowing it was a boiler accident, instead accused Spain of treachery. Some say it was the imperialistic American government's pursuit of Cuba that led to this action. Those cigars must really be just that good.

You may want to know more about Maine. Good luck with that.





 



Recognized


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.