Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted September 3, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My friendship with brooke Baldwin.

Dedicated Brooke (adewpearl)

by Aussie


Way back in 2010, I joined Fanstory and so did Brooke. She wasn't too sure how to take my Aussie humor, over the years before her untimely death, she became my friend and called me her 'favorite Aussie.'
Brooke was the best poet on Fanstory, top poet for many, many years. She had studied in England, literature mainly at one of the top universities.

She tried to teach me all the different types of poetry, finally giving up when I told her I only wanted to write quatrains, mainly about our Australian way of life.

Many of you will remember Brooke, her kindness and help with your writing. Not many of you will know she reviewed from dawn to dusk. She couldn't afford to buy certificates to promote her poems. Every day she was on her computer, reviewing to build site money to keep her poems at number one.

She began to tell me about her life and family. A lonely soul, living alone and managing on the pension. She often said at the end of day, "going to nuke my dinner." Living on microwave meals wasn't really a good thing for her health. She spent the weekends serving meals on a Saturday in a soup kitchen and Sundays she went to church.

Her daughter was expecting twins, Brooke was so excited. Unfortunately, they lost the girl. Still, the grandson, Sawyer was the light of her life.
Unfortunately, too young, Brooke succumbed to multiple sclerosis. Her health went down hill and her daughter and son-in-law decided to come over from the coast to take her to their local nursing home.

Fanstorians supported her in her final days. She couldn't write but she could listen to phone calls. Because she was so loved by us for her generosity and Fanstory was her life. I have kept all of the birthday/Christmas cards she sent to me. We corresponded a lot. Never will I forget this kind teacher of poetry. She always put others before her own needs. The friends you make on Fanstory are precious. You may never meet them in person but their love crosses the miles. We will never forget Brooke.



Non-Fiction Writing Contest contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Aussie All rights reserved.
Aussie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.