General Flash Fiction posted September 1, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
flashfantasy

Forest -dash

by Iza Deleanu


I always loved the forests preferably with a lake in the middle. My weekend escapade this time included a forest, but I was not expecting the lake; that came as a bonus. My husband is so scared of this Coronella thing, that prefers to spend his days on lockup, I on the other hand I preferred the wild, wild west, you know since we live in prairie and all.

My friend, who is a widow and has no family of her own, came up with this magnificent plan to drive every weekend somewhere out of town. My job was to find the perfect spot. And, so I did. The only condition was to drive no more than an hour and half. Checked that out too. Today's happy place with a new face for us was the Range Road 33 A.

As we drove out of the highway 13 West and entered the Range Road, I was mesmerized by the beautiful green forest that was stretching both sides of the road. I was in awe of this corner of Paradise. Finally, after 10 minutes drive the road stopped straight into a Lake. I was lucky that I brought my swimming gear, you know just in case... So, I jumped out of the car, found an outhouse and changed and then laughing I dragged my friend to the shore. All we needed was a chair so my friend could sit. And voila, here it was: the chair, mon cher. Even if my friend was born in Canada, she didn't like to swim in a lake, especially not the ones from Alberta. She says they are too cold.

You see, I am not very picky, all it needed was some water that is "swimmable". Oh, my, this lake was perfection: no blue algae, no motorboats, just paddle, paddle in my shadow. So, I jumped... and screamed. The first "bite" it was freaking cold, but then once I got used to it, the water it's perfect. I glided to the middle of the lake and lay on my back. I watched the perfect sky and the forest that was surrounding the lake as a protective curtain.

My conclusion of this trip: who needs British Columbia, when I have Alberta? We have mountains, lakes, forests, bears, so it's no need to spend our money where we are not wanted. So, I told my friend, please don't be mad with me, I know you like BC, but I will never go there, I am happy to spend my quarantine at home, in Alberta.
 
***
 
Suddenly I fell down from that broken chair. I'm alone in the forest holding in my hand a picture with me and my friend at the lake; it's dated 2020. 2020? What the heck it's 2050, there are no lakes left. My forest is a skeleton forest and no wonder the chair "broke free" ; with my anti-virus gear I must weigh at least 250 kilograms.  You wonder what happened  right? Well Coronella happened. Countries were fighting for the vaccine,  the vaccine got them. How I'm still here? Well I refused to take it and ran to the forest.  They put the forest on fire to burn me alive because in their mind I was a carrier... but I survived. Now I'm here clenching my memories in one hand and waiting for the nature regeneration. 
 



FlashFantasy2020 writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short Fantasy story set in the forest. Be sure to include a chair as an object in your fiction. Entries can be anywhere from 200-1000 words.

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Greg Pichnej at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.