General Fiction posted August 31, 2020 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Carry On My Wayward Son

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attack of the 50 States: Kansas

by Bill Schott


From Dodge City to Dust in the Wind, Kansas has a lot to explore.

In 1827, Fort Leavenworth became the first white settlement in Kansas. The 10th Cavalry , an African American Regiment, otherwise known as Buffalo Soldiers, were established there.

Exodusters were black refugees who traveled to Kansas to escape the oppression of the post-Reconstruction South. During the 1870s, 40,000 African Americans migrated from those white supremacist states and settled in Kansas.

With the opening of the Chisholm Trail in the 1870s, the Wild West era also opened. Wild Bill Hickok, Bat Masterson, and Wyatt Earp all gained fame during those fast times. Cattle drives brought beef herds to Dodge City, which was the launch point for the train carrying cattle East. Eight million head of cattle went through there every year. Somewhat related to that, White Castle, the first hamburger joint, started in Wichita. Today, there is not even one in the entire state.

Kansas became a 'dry' state, where alcohol was outlawed, from 1861 to 1948. So, of course, no one drank.

The rock band, Kansas, came out of Wichita in the 1970s. "Carry On My Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind", I think, are their major songs; both are from the album "Leftoverture".

I have to admit that most of this information came from Wikipedia. I did know some of it from military history classes and watching TV westerns for the first fifteen years of my life.

Personally, I rode through Kansas with my folks when I was a kid, but I have no memories of it beyond what I could see from the backseat of a Buick Skylark.

Before leaving I must remind you that Clark Kent grew up in Smallville, Kansas.

After leaving, you can safely say, "We're not in Kansas anymore."




 



Recognized


Topeka is the capital, not Kansas City. You're welcome.

Image is from Google.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.