General Non-Fiction posted August 29, 2020 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The kid and the bread

A chapter in the book Second Chances

Running to help

by Iza Deleanu



Background
This book is about second chances that I got in my life in extreme situations.
I remember as a kid I used to do lots of crazy things. For example, when I was about five years old I decided to go and buy bread all by myself.

The store was a good 10 minutes walk parallel with a rail line and to reach the goal I had to cross a big intersection with no traffic lights.

All of this started because my mom was talking to my dad about who needs to go and buy some bread before going to work.

It was 2 pm and my mom was in a hurry to get ready for her shift. I heard their conversation and without saying a word I went outside and started to walk towards the store. My neighbor saw me and asked me where I was going. I told her that I'm going to buy bread.

I finally reached the store and I asked the baker for a bread. The baker asked me for money. I remember that everytime I wanted ice-cream my mom used to say that I can use my buttons to pay for it, because she has no money for that. I had no idea that she was joking. I look at my blouse and started to count the buttons and then I asked the baker:
- I have five buttons how much for the bread?

- Three, said the baker.

I reached towards the buttons with the intention to rip them off, but I don't know how my mom showed up behind my back and stopped me. She was very pale and scared. She paid for the bread and didn't say a word. She took me home and told me that we will talk later.

After she went to work my dad told me how worried they were when I disappeared. They found out where I went from my neighbor. Apparently my mom was behind me all the time. She wanted to see me reaching my destination safe.

After work she come home and talked to me:

- Iza, please if you ever hear me and your dad arguing about who needs to go buy food,  you will do nothing. You are just a kid. It's not your job to worry about this.

- Mom, I just wanted to help out.

- I know, baby. But that road is not safe. What if a car ...hit you? No bread in the world is worth your life. You want to help, but you are too little. Wait until you grow up. Also to buy bread you need money and also the blue ration card. Each of us has the right to half of bread. Our family has 4 members, it's too hard for you to carry 2 breads. God gave us a second chance by sending your guardian angel to watch over you. Please don't do this ever again.

- Okay, mommy.

Of course it was not in my nature to obey , my curiosity was bigger than any danger so of course I did it again. But this story is for another day.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.