Supernatural Fiction posted August 25, 2020 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of Unleashed Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Saving Tessa/Part 2

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. This is a rewrite, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
Jace stood with his son in his arms while Cassie and Helen worked on Tessa, feeling like the life had gone right out of him. He was sick with worry that this might be his last memory of her. His anxiety only increased when got a glimpse of the amount of blood covering their surgical gloves. It took every bit of strength he had not to rush over, but he stayed back so they could do their job. 

As Cassie and Helen continued to do everything possible to stop the bleeding, it felt like an eternity as Jace and Jem stood back and waited. Then, out of nowhere, Jem heard a voice whisper softly inside his head.

“Jem… use your powers.”

He turned to Jace and said, “Did you say something?”

Jace shrugged. “What?”

“I-I thought I heard…” He broke off, his voice laced with confusion, “...someone say something.”

“I didn’t say anything.”

“You have the power to save Tessa.” The voice spoke to him again. “Hurry, Jem. There’s not much time.”  

Jem linked his mind with the voice and said, “Who… are you?”  

“My name is Lilith. I’m Tessa’s mother.”

“I don’t understand. How is this possible?”

“Listen to me, Jem. There’s no time to explain. You have a special gift of healing. Please, you must save my daughter.”

He lowered his head in frustration. “But… how?”

“All you have to do is take hold of her hand.” Lilith’s voice started to fade. “Concentrate on thoughts… of healing.”

“How can you be sure it won’t harm her?”

When there was no response, Jem put everything he had into reaching out to Tessa’s mother. “Lilith… are you still there?”

Fear and uncertainty paralyzed him. He warred with the consequences if his powers didn’t heal Tessa, but instead, killed her. If it came down to it, he’d give her life at the expense of his own in a heartbeat. And then he heard another voice. 
        
“Jem…”

He instantly snapped back to focus and looked up.

“We’ve done everything we can,” Helen said, her expression appearing hopeless. “The bleeding… it won’t stop. Whatever has been done to her, it’s interfering with her natural Breedline healing. Jem… you’re her last hope. You’ve got to try to use your powers.”

“Do it, Brother,” Jace said, releasing a strangled breath. “Please…”

As Jem turned to face his twin, he could see the fear and desperation etched into every groove of his face.

“I promise,” Jem said. “I’ll do everything in my power to save her.”

Cassie hurried over and gently took the baby from Jem’s arms. As he went over to Tessa’s bedside, Jace followed close behind, holding onto his son.

Jem took a shuddering breath as he peered down at Tessa. She was so pale and lifeless. If he hadn’t previously known what a strong-willed and determined person she was, he’d thought she’d already given up the fight. The moment he grasped ahold of her hand, he closed his eyes and blocked out everything around him: the beeping noise coming from the portable heart monitor, the sound of his own heartbeat ringing in his ears, and even Jace who loomed over Tessa.

As death closed in, Jem knew that it was almost too late for her. With all the strength, and all the perseverance he could muster, he concentrated on a pathway to link with Tessa’s mind.

And then, a warm presence surrounded her, replacing the darkness with light.

“Tessa…”

She instantly recognized the voice in her head. It was Jem. Tessa was desperate to respond to his soothing voice, but she was so weak. In the silence, she waited, praying to hear his voice again.

“Tessa… if you can hear my voice, give me a sign. Please Tessa. You’ve got to help me. I can’t do this all alone. Fight with all your strength. Fight for Jace and your newborn sons.”

In that moment, she felt warmth radiating from his body to hers. That’s when she realized he was fighting for her… healing her. And she was pretty damn sure Jace was right by his side. She drew in every ounce of strength she had left and sent him a message.

When a single tear slipped out of the corner of her eye, Jem said, “That’s it, Tessa. Keep fighting. I know you can do this.”  
         

As more tears fell from her eyes, she linked her mind with Jem and Jace, forming a telepathic pathway between the three of them.

“I’m here.” Her voice was faint. “Please… don’t let me go.”

“No one is letting you go, Tessa,” Jem said.

“Oh my God…” Jace said fiercely.

“Jace…” Tessa gasped. “Is that you?”

 “I’m here, baby,” he said, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead. “And I’m not letting you go. Please… fight your way back. Our sons need you. I need you.”

“It’s okay now, Tessa,” Jem said as warmth spread to every pore in her body. “You’re going to be just fine. All you have to do is open your eyes.”

Tessa’s long eyelashes fluttered, and as her lids slowly opened, she became aware that she wasn’t alone. Although her vision blurred a little, she could still make out the image looking down at her. Jace was leaning over her, his eyes filled with tears. His long, blond hair hung over his shoulders, some of it falling forward into his face. He was smiling so big that his cheeks dimpled. God… she’d never grow tired of looking into his gorgeous face and those baby blues that stared at her with such intensity. Not only was Jace standing above her, Jem, Cassie, and Helen were hoovering close by.

“Welcome back, sweetheart,” Jace softly said. “How are you feeling?”

“Tired,” she replied, her voice hoarse. “But it feels good to be alive.”

She lifted her head and searched for the twins. Her brows furrowed when she didn’t see them anywhere.

“My babies,” Tessa said, her voice frantic. “Where’s my babies?”

“Shhh, it’s okay,” Jace said, leaning over with the baby in his arms. “They’re perfectly fine, honey.”

Tessa eyes brightened with joy and relief when she saw her baby for the first time. The instant she reached up and smoothed her hand over his soft, fine hair, he turned to her and cooed.

“He’s beautiful,” Tessa said in a tear-laced voice. “Just like his daddy.”

“Honey,” Jace said, lowering the baby in Tessa’s arms, “meet our first born.”  

“Hello, little Jem,” Tessa murmured, cradling the baby close. Then, she looked up at Cassie. “Is that little Jax?”

Cassie smiled. “It sure is,” she said, placing the baby next to his twin brother. “They’re both the cutest babies I’ve ever seen. I’ll go tell the others that Mommy and babies are doing just fine. I’m sure everyone is worried sick.”

“Thank you, Cassie,” Tessa said.

As Cassie headed for the door, Tessa gazed into little Jax’s bright blue eyes and said, “Well… aren’t you just the spitting image of your father.”

“I don’t know,” Jem chuckled. “I think he takes more after his uncle.”

Jace wrapped his arm around Jem and tugged him close. “Ha-ha. Very funny, Brother.”

Tessa laughed a little and then focused on Jem. “It was you, wasn’t it? You’re the one who saved me.”
        
Jem merely smiled. “Well… sort of,” he said. “I have to admit. I had a little help.”

Tessa slightly tilted her head. “What do you mean?”

“Your mother spoke to me, Tessa,” Jem explained. “She told me what to do.”

“But… I don’t understand.” Tessa shook her head. “How is that possible?”

Jem kept silent for moment, trying to find the right words, and before he opened his mouth to speak, Tessa said, “She’s gone, isn’t she?”

Jem regretfully nodded. “I’m sorry, Tessa.”

For a moment, what he’d said didn’t sink in, but when it did, tears burned her eyelids and ran freely down her face. Her mother’s death tore her to shreds. She’d only recently found her, and now… she was gone.
  
Jace wiped at the tears running down her cheeks. “It’s going to be okay, honey. I’m here for you. We’re all here for you.”

Tessa’s lips crooked up a little, her throat aching with emotion as the too-short memories of her mother flooded her mind.  
  
“I hate to interrupt,” Helen said, her eyes focusing on Tessa. “But I need to give you a quick examination, just to make sure there’s no more bleeding.”

When Tessa nodded in agreement, everyone stepped back so Helen could do her thing. It wasn’t long before she faced Tessa and said, “I’ve never seen our kind heal this fast. Your incisions are completely gone. If I hadn’t done the C-section myself, I wouldn’t believe you had one.” She looked over at Jem. “Whatever you did, it worked a miracle.”

“Where’s everyone else?” Tessa asked. “Does my father know about my mother? And what about Steven? Has anyone told him?”

Jace moved next to her and slid his hand over hers. “We haven’t said anything to Kenneth, but Steven…” he hesitated for a second, “…he was there when your mother passed. He tried to save her.”

Tessa’s brow wrinkled and she stared questionably up at Jace. “How did my mother—”

She bit her lip, but Jace could still see her mouth trembling.

“Oh, sweetheart.” Jace lightly squeezed her hand. “You’ve been through so much. How ‘bout we talk about this later, after things settle down.”

She nodded solemnly. “You’re right. We can talk about it later.”

A knock at the door drew their attention. When everyone turned to look, the door cracked open and Cassie stuck his head in. “I brought someone to see you. I just wanted to make sure you’re up for visitors.”

“Of course,” Tessa said.

When Cassie opened the door further and stepped inside, Kenneth came in behind her. His eyes lit up when he saw that Tessa was awake. To his further surprise, there were two tiny babies, nestled contently beside her.

“Hey, sweetheart,” Kenneth said. “Are you sure it’s okay?”

“Don’t be silly, Dad.” She smiled and waved him over. “Come meet your grandbabies.”

When Tessa held up an arm to hug Kenneth, he leaned down and carefully hugged her.

“I love you, Tessa,” he whispered.

“I love you, too.”

Finally, as Kenneth pulled from their embrace, he said, “I was so worried for you. Everyone has been worried, honey.”

“I’m too stubborn to give up that easily,” she said. “Besides, I have too much here to live for.”

“You take after your mother,” he said with a light chuckle. “The stubborn part, that is.”

At that moment, Tessa thought about telling him the dreadful news about her mother, but instead, she decided against it. Besides, this was supposed to be a happy occasion and a moment to celebrate new life.

“So…,” Kenneth said, cocking a brow, “…what does a grandpa have to do around here to get permission to hold his grandsons?”

“Oh, Dad…” Tessa laughed. “When it comes to family, permission is always implied.”

“On that note,” he said, reaching for one of the babies, “I start with this little guy.”

“His name is Jem,” Jace said to Kenneth.

“I like it,” Kenneth said, smiling at Jace. “He looks like a Jem.” Then he carefully scooped the baby in his arms and softly said, “Hello, little Jem. I’m your papa, and I’m going to spoil you and your brother rotten.”

A series of chuckles from the others seemed to brighten the tension in the room.

After moments of coddling and admiring his grandson, Kenneth swopped babies with Tessa and said, “And who do I have here?”

“That’s Jax,” Tessa told him. “He was born four minutes after his big brother.”

“Whoa,” Kenneth said, smiling down at the baby. “A whole four minutes. What took you so long, little fella?”

Jax’s lips curved up into the biggest smile.

“Well, what do ya know,” Kenneth boasted. “I think he likes his ‘ol grandpa. He smiled at me.”

Jace chortled and said, “Are you positive that was a happy smile or a poopy smile?”

Tessa rolled her eyes. “Jace…”

“Well, whoever is holding the baby when he makes a poopy has to obey the golden rule.”

“Oh…” Kenneth looked at Jace puzzled. “And what’s the golden rule?”

“You’re the one stuck with changing the poopy diaper.”

Kenneth laughed. “I’ll have to remember that rule.”  

To be continued. . .

 




A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have superstrength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for his bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants. She is their absolute law.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild (the Breedline queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an aspiring artist.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She later bonds to Alexander Crest.

Cassie Chamberlain - Adopted at age two by Jace and Jem's adoptive parents after her mother abandons her. Later, she discovers she is a Breedline species and bonds with the handsome Drakon Hexus. She is a nurse practitioner, specializing in the neonatal intensive care unit.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He is Tessa Fairchild's fraternal twin and is Abigail Winthrop's bonded mate.

Dr. Kenneth Craven - He is a Breedline and an orthopedic surgeon at the San Francisco General Hospital. He is Steven Craven and Tessa Fairchild's father.

Lisa Wellington (a.k.a. Lilith) - She is a Breedline with the gift to heal. She is Steven Craven and Tessa Fairchild's biological mother.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.