Supernatural Fiction posted August 11, 2020 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of Unleashed Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Life after Death

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for reading my chapter! This is a rewrite, so if you notice mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
Before Steven could get a word out, one of Dr. Crane’s men aimed his weapon at Lilith. Before he pulled the trigger, Sebastian did the unbelievable. He dove between her and Steven, using his body as a shield. He was hit in the throat, and the bullet sliced alongside his carotid artery.

As Sebastian fell to the floor, Jem shot a blazing fireball out of the palm of his hand and took out the gunman. Then, he looked at what was left of Dr. Crane’s men and said, “Unless you want to become ashes, I suggest you drop your weapons and keep your hands where I can see them.”

As soon as they surrendered, Lilith knelt next to Sebastian and said, “Why did you risk your life for us?”

He looked up at her with teary eyes. “Because,…” he said in a strained voice, “…you both deserve to live a normal life.”

As she placed her hand over his wound, blood seeped through her fingers in a steady flow. “Hang on, Sebastian,” she said. “I’m going to try and heal you.”
 
“No!” Steven yelled as he scrambled to his knees. “Please… don’t do this. Your body isn’t what it was. You can no longer heal a fatal wound.”

Lilith looked into Steven’s pleading eyes. “I’m sorry, but I have to help him. It’s not his time.”

“This will kill you,” Steven urged. “He’s not worth dying for. Please…” he placed his hand on her shoulder. “I won’t be able to heal you from this.”

Jace stood back, feeling helpless as precious time continued to get away. Then, to his surprise, a crackling noise came from his radio.

“Jace… do you read me?”

He grabbed the radio and said, “I’m here, Kyle. Where are you?”

“We’re outside the facility with Tessa.”

“How is she?”

“You need to hurry, Jace.” Kyle’s voice sounded grim. “It doesn’t look good.” 

Steven helplessly watched as his mother ignored his pleas and took on Sebastian’s wound. In a matter of seconds, Lilith released Sebastian and put her hand over her throat.

“Mother…” Steven reached for Lilith as she started to tilt back. He caught her before she collapsed and eased her down on the floor.

“No, no, no…” he painfully cried out as he cradled Lilith’s limp body in his arms. “Stay with me.”

Lilith shook her head and grasped his arm. “Steven…” Tears spilled from her eyes. “I don’t have… much… time.”

“You can’t leave me.” Steven pulled her closer. “I’ve just found you.”

Through all the pain, she forced a smile. “I love you.” She closed her eyes, and before she took one last gasping breath, she said, “Tell Tessa… I love her.”

“Please…” he sobbed, caressing her lifeless face. “Don’t go.”

Desperate for help, Jace turned toward Jem and said, “Please, Brother… it’s up to you. Will you help Tessa?”

“But Jace, I’ve never used my powers to heal. What if I can’t control it? It could hurt the twins or… kill Tessa.” 
 
“They could die regardless,” Jace said. “Please... I’m begging you.”

Jem nodded. “I will try.”

Jace put the two-way radio up to his mouth and said, “Kyle, stay put. We’re heading your way.”

“Copy that,” Kyle replied.

Before Jem created a portal, he quickly explained the situation to Tim and Drakon, leaving them to take care of the rest of Dr. Crane’s men and Sebastian.

The moment they stepped through the portal and Jace saw Tessa in Kyle’s arms, he instantly rushed over.

“Oh my, God…” Jace said, reaching for Tessa. “Is she still breathing?”

Kyle placed Tessa in his arms and said, “Yes, but it’s seems weak. Where’s Steven?”

Jem shot Kyle a despairing look. “He’s not coming.”

Kyle’s eyes rounded. “What...?”

“I don’t have time to explain,” Jem said. “I’m here to take Steven’s place…” he briefly paused and released a sigh, “…to try and heal Tessa.”

“But what if—”

Jem cut Kyle off with a halting hand. The last thing they needed was to upset Jace any more than he already was. Besides, he knew Jem’s healing powers could end in disaster.   
  
Jace pressed his lips to Tessa’s forehead and concentrated on linking with her mind. “Please, Tessa... fight your way back to me.”

Jace flinched when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“Brother…” Jem said, wishing he could take away Jace’s pain. “I need you to put her down.”

Jace eased Tessa onto the ground like she was a piece of glass in fear of shattering. When he looked down at his hands, they were covered in blood. Instantly, he looked for an injury. His heart nearly stopped when he noticed blood between her inner thighs. “Oh, God…” In that moment, he realized all those nightmares of her death had become real. He looked up at Jem and stared at him for a few seconds, but it seemed to last forever as time slowly ticked by. Tick, tock … tick, tock…

“Please…” Jace finally said. “Tell me you can save her.”

“I think it’s best if we get her back to the Covenant,” Jem said. “I’m afraid if I try to heal her, it might further complicate her pregnancy. Please Jace, let Helen examine her first.”

Jace nodded and carefully gathered Tessa back in his arms.

Jem looked to Kyle and Casey and said, “Guys… go back inside the facility. The others are going to need your help.”

“Don’t worry,” Kyle said. “We’ll take care of things here. You just take care of our girl.” 

Casey, who had been totally silent since Jem and Jace got here, looked at Jace with sympathy written all over his face. He felt guilty and irresponsible for not telling him about the visions he’d had of Tessa’s death. Would it have made any difference? After all, no matter how hard you tried, you couldn’t cheat death. Fate was inevitable. With all the courage he could muster, he parted his lips and said, “Tessa is going to be all right, Jace. She’s too stubborn not to.”

When they disappeared through the portal, Kyle and Casey hurried back inside the research facility to search for Tim, Drakon, and Steven. It wasn’t hard to find them. The trail of dead hybrids and the bodies of Dr. Crane’s men led them straight there. As they got closer, they could hear someone sobbing.

They looked to where it was coming from and saw Steven. He was kneeling next to the young woman who they’d discovered with Tessa earlier. It couldn’t have been thirty minutes since they last saw her vanish through a portal with Sebastian. Now she was lying motionless on the floor, and going by all the blood on her throat, things didn’t look good.

Shit… Kyle thought. Poor Steven.

On the opposite side of Steven was Sebastian, and he too, was covered in blood. He was on his knees, silently watching as Steven fell apart. Oddly, it looked as though Sebastian was fighting back tears.  
       
Kyle averted his eyes from the heartbreaking display and looked to the others with a bewildered expression on his face. “What the hell happened?”

“One of Dr. Crane’s men fired his weapon,” Tim said. “Sebastian…” he paused and shook his head, “…believe it or not, he jumped in the line of fire.”

Casey shrugged. “So, if Sebastian took a bullet, why isn't he dead?”

“Steven’s mother healed Sebastian,” Drakon chimed in. “I’m not sure why, but when she took on his injury, she didn’t survive.”

“Damn…” Kyle huffed. “Who the hell would risk their life for that piece of shit?”

“I hear ya,” Drakon said. “I was just wondering that myself.”

“Shit…” Tim rolled his eyes. “I was so wrapped up with all this, I almost forgot to ask. What’s the situation with Tessa?”

“It’s not good,” Kyle regretfully said. “It looked as though she was hemorrhaging. Jem thought it was best if they take her back to the Covenant so Helen could examine her before he tried to do anything.”

“My God…” Tim sighed in frustration. “Well, he did the right thing. She’ll be in good hands. All we can do now is pray.”

“So…” Casey briefly hesitated, “…what are we going to do about Steven?”

“I’ll take care of it,” Tim said. “While I go talk to him,” he paused and looked between the two of them, “I want you guys to stay here with Drakon and make sure the rest of Dr. Crane’s men are contained.” 

“What about Sebastian?” Kyle said. “How are we going to stop him from using a portal to escape?”

“That’s a good question,” Tim replied. “Maybe he’ll do the right thing and surrender to the Covenant.”

Kyle smirked. “Yeah, good luck with all that.”

“You never know,” Tim said as he turned toward Steven. “Stranger things have happened.”

Moments later, as Tim went over and knelt next to Steven, he said, “I’m so sorry—” Tim suddenly went silent, his jaw nearly hitting the floor when a ghostly form appeared from out of nowhere.

Behind him, Sebastian looked shellshocked as he stared up at what looked to be Lilith, except she was no longer corporeal... a beautiful ghostlike figure of some sort. Even Dr. Crane’s men looked pale and shaken.   
    
Tim tapped Steven on the shoulder. “Steven… are you seeing what I’m seeing?”

He didn’t hear a word Tim said, because he couldn’t believe what his eyes were telling him. It was his mother… sort of. It was her face and her body, only she was… an angel.

“Mother?”

Steven slowly got to his feet, and after a brief hesitation, he reached out to her and put his hand to her glowing face.

“Is this really you?” he said.

Lilith nodded and leaned into his hand. She could tell he’d been crying by the tears on his face and the redness in his eyes.

“I’m finally at peace,” she said, her lips forming a smile.

“I thought…” Steven’s voice trembled, “…I’d never see you again.”

“I’ll always be with you and Tessa,” she said. “Right here.” She placed her hand to his chest. “Close to your heart.”

Steven gulped in steadying breaths, but God he wanted to break down and cry like a baby. He opened his mouth to speak, but instead, he wrapped his arms around her.

Lilith closed her eyes and gently enfolded him in her embrace. “I love you, son,” she whispered close to his ear. Then, in the blink of an eye, she was gone.

When Steven finally looked to the others, all eyes turned in his direction.

Tim stepped forward with a grim expression and said, “We need to get back to the Covenant.”

Pain flashed in Steven’s eyes. “Something’s wrong with Tessa, isn’t there?”

Tim gestured at Steven. “Come on, before it’s too late.”


To be continued . . .
 
 




A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have superstrength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong they cannot live without the other.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild (the Breedline queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an aspiring artist.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed and Eve's bonded mate. He has the power to summon a portal.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Kyle Jones - He is a Breedline species that resides in the California Covenant. Celina Baldolf is his bonded mate. He's a mechanic and plays bass in the rock band Chaos.

Casey Barton - He is a Theriomorph and lives in the California Covenant. He is a clothing model and plays backup bass and keyboards in the band Chaos.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She later bonds to Alexander Crest.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He is Tessa Fairchild's fraternal twin and is Abigail Winthrop's bonded mate.

Lisa Wellington (a.k.a. Lilith) - She is a Breedline with the gift to heal. She is Steven Craven and Tessa Fairchild's biological mother.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.