Supernatural Fiction posted August 4, 2020 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of Sins of Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Final Warning

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's a rewrite, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
As the Breedline species—a race of humans born with special powers and the gift to change into wolf form—finally destroy Dr. Hubert Crane and his unholy creation of Breedline hybrids, they are faced with something far more dangerous... and deadly. When widespread reports of gruesome attacks on homeless victims sweep across Berkeley California and the San Francisco Bay area, two local human Detectives are desperate to catch whoever is responsible for the disturbing and heinous crimes. But… they are not prepared for what they discover when they encounter three malevolent supernatural beings called... the Fury.

Continued . . .

While Cronus descended from the sky, getting closer to the roof of Nathan’s bar, he communicated with his soldiers all at once, readying them to prepare to make a grand entrance and smash through.

Lailah tucked her wings into her back, preparing for a hard landing as she peered down at the colorful human world. It had been years since she’d seen it. Blue and red lights flashed from the crowded streets, and voices chattered frantically.

“Remember,” Cronus called out, “we are to bring the Fury back to the Creator alive.”

Nods of agreement met his words.

“Let’s get this done and get back!” Frigg said with a whoop. “Phantom of the Opera is playing tonight.”

Icarus rolled his eyes. “It never ends.”

Voices grew louder as the battle angels got closer. They heard screams and pleas for help. They picked up enough speed, using their wings to propel them faster.

“Now!” Cronus shouted.

In unison, the warriors crashed through the rooftop of the bar with firm grips on their swords. As wood and scattered bits of material exploded into pieces, everyone inside the bar ducked for cover. Dust and debris filled the air, making it difficult to see.

Finally, as it cleared, Cronus and his warriors stepped into what looked to be hell on earth. Cronus’s stomach twisted as he caught sight of Apollyon’s transformation. The winged creature went far beyond anything he’d seen and far beyond wickedness. Although he had fought against his share of demons, nothing came close to resembling Satan himself.

There was a stretch of silence within the Breedline as they took in the sight of the impressive angels that towered at least ten feet or more. Having just been through hell, and having their asses handed to them, they felt as though their prayers had finally been heard by a higher power.

Relieved by their presence, Jem leaned forward and pressed his hands to his face. Thank you, God.

Sebastian was confused as he caught sight of the giant, black-winged creatures down below. Are those supposed to be... angels?

Cronus pointed in the direction he wanted each warrior to go. As they split up, they formed a circle and surrounded the Fury.

When Lailah’s sword ignited into flames, chaos erupted. There was no warning, no small chit-chat, and no voice of reason. Electra drew back her whip, and whirled it in Lailah’s direction, but Icarus was having none of that. Using his powers of telekinesis, he summoned Electra’s whip from her grasp and sent it flying several feet away.

Thrown off guard, Electra shot Icarus a menacing look. Her eyes were like two blowtorches mounted on the back of her skull, but Icarus didn’t bat an eye. She could go volcano if she wanted. He was not intimidated by her in the least.

“I betcha didn’t see that coming,” Icarus said, looking at Electra with a wide smile.

She hissed like an angry cat.

Frank peered over the balcony of the top level and noticed several injured people. He looked at his partner. “We’ve got to get the injured medical attention.”

Manuel didn’t hear a word he said because he couldn’t comprehend what he was looking at. “Lailah...” he gasped and rubbed his hand over his face, feeling like he was going to lose his ever-loving mind. Was he really looking at his sister that had been murdered years ago? It was Lailah’s face just as he remembered, but she was a giant angel.

“Manuel,” Frank persisted, “did you hear me?”

He pointed at Lailah and muttered, “Th-that’s my sister.”

When Frank looked in the direction his partner was pointing, his mouth dropped open. “What the hell?”

“It’s Lailah,” Manuel spouted. “But... how did she—”

Distant sirens caught Manuel’s attention, shifting his focus away from Lailah.

As they grew louder, Cronus looked at Colonel Deshazo, who was positioned nearby. “Have your men take the humans to a safe place and get the injured medical attention. We’ll take care of the Fury.”

The colonel nodded in agreement.

Cronus stepped forward with his sword raised. “Hear me out, creatures of the Fury. You have been summoned by the Creator. We can do things two ways: surrender yourselves and come with us peacefully; resist, and we’ll do this the hard way.”

Tension crackled in the air.

Cronus gave his final warning, “It’s your choice.”

Apollyon bared his teeth like a rabid dog, growling. Electra’s bright eyes ceased to shimmer, and her expression, for once, grew troubled.

There was a long silence as the magnitude of what they were all thinking hit home.

Callisto stared across at Apollyon. “What do we do, Brother?”

To be continued . . .  

 



Book of the Month contest entry


A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have superstrength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed and Eve's bonded mate. He has the power to summon a portal.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who later discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Nathan Gage (a.k.a. Nate) - He is a Breedline and the owner of several upscale night clubs in the largest metropolitan areas of Northern California.

Cronus - He is a loyal and devoted warrior in charge of God's battle angels. He wields the power of the sword of truth and has the ability to use his body as a shield. His mission is to protect the heavens and all God's creations.

Lailah - She is a battle angel gifted with holy fire used to trap or immobilize demons and other evil supernatural beings, rather than killing them outright. Forty-one years ago, in her human life at age seventeen, she was savagely murdered. Although her killer got away with the crime, her younger brother, Detective Manuel Sanchez, promises to dedicate his life trying to solve the murder.

Icarus - He is a gorgeous battle angel gifted with the power of telekinesis. He can influence, manipulate, and move matter using his mind.

Frigg - He is one of God's originals, serving as a battle angel for more than a century. With a personality bigger than life, a bit of an attitude, and a love for rock-n-roll, cheeseburgers, and classic black-and-white movies, he oddly resembles the singer, Billy Idol of the '80s punk rock band, sporting the same trademark bleached spiked hair and English accent. He has the unique power of shapeshifting. He can transform and reshape himself into any living thing.

The Fury - Three fraternal twins: Apollyon, Electra, and Callisto; created by an evil German scientist named Dr. Hans Autenburg. Using his own DNA, he mixed it with the genetics of a Breedline, an Adalwolf, and a powerful Wiccan.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.