General Fiction posted July 26, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a horror story 800 words

A Corner of the Woods

by Bill Schott


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

Douglas pulled the branch of a tree aside and saw what appeared to be a landing site for an extraterrestrial spaceship. An aura filled the inner forest with soft green illumination, making viewing possible.

He observed a half a dozen 'grays', as he had heard them called, walking about seeming to examine each sapling or creature before them. The small trees had been uprooted and placed in some type of liquid-filled orb, which hovered just off the ground. The creatures stood before the aliens as if trained to heel and face them. There was a grizzly bear, a deer, a cougar, a wolf, and a gorilla shaped like a man.

Approaching the huge bear, the alien touched its enormous head. Its flesh immediately peeled back from its skull, as the creature issued a roar of pain. The bear never moved, however, as if fixed in its position and unable to do so.

Next, another gray approached the cougar. With a wave of the alien's hand, the big cat leaped from its spot and began ripping at the deer, which remained standing. The cougar's rending slashes removed flesh in massive chunks until the antlered creature dropped to its haunches.

Being a photographer, and having heard rumors of strange lights and goings-on in this section of the forest, Douglas had come out prepared to photographically document anything he saw. Never did he think he would see such a display as this. 

His new camera had many great settings, one of which was zero light. He could see the creatures and aliens moving about through his telephoto, nightlight aperture. He pressed the button to take a picture, but his flash was somehow still functioning, exploding with light, which blinded him and alerted his subjects of both his presence and location.

Crouched down and waiting for his sight to return, Douglas could hear a stampede coming his way. Still trying to focus, he looked out to see all of the animals headed toward him. He thought to pack up his equipment, but the tree that he had been hiding behind split asunder, throwing him to the ground. Through that split in the timber a gray stepped towards Douglas' prone form. Behind the alien, a huge grizzly reared up on its back legs, its flayed head and neck glistening in the moonlight. The strange visitor stepped aside, seeming to motion to the bear. Douglas saw enough to power his body to launch from the ground and head away at what seemed like bullet speed.

Something blurred past his left side and landed in front of him. Not able to stop, Douglas ran into a snarling wolf. The savage creature grabbed Douglas' arm in its jaws and dragged him down to the ground again. Before the snarling Wolf could attack him closer to his throat, it was gored in the side by a charging deer. The deer's ribs flared from its sides as its breathing forced blood and gore to gush out.

Suddenly, Douglas' leg was grabbed by a powerful cougar, its sharp teeth ripping at his Achilles tendon. As it dug at the earth to help tug Douglas away, something large and weirdly human approached from behind and grabbed the big cat by the back of its neck, like a mother cat extracting a kitten. The cougar was sent sailing several feet back.

The huge simian then lunged at Douglas. The hapless photographer was hoisted up into the air and examined by what was likely some missing link.

All was suddenly quiet. The ape-like creature turned back towards the green-lighted area. The grays seemed to stand waiting for all the creatures to return. The bear arrived, twigs and dirt covering its congealing bared flesh. The wolf hobbled in, its intestines partially hanging from its under belly. The cougar and deer both arrived, limping, bleeding and seemingly dying.

Douglas was dumped before the aliens where he lay for a moment, before rising to a kneeling position.


Why do you come here?

The question entered Douglas' mind and he knew it was for him to answer. He began to speak, but found he was dumb.

Your answer is insufficient. We will resume the study.

Douglas understood the implications of the alien's thoughts. He rose to his feet, leaning on his good leg. He found himself encircled by the cougar, wolf and bear. Each looked at him with teeth bared and drool spilling from their mouths. He returned their glare, raised his arms out to his sides and let out his own roar as he and the creatures clashed to ferociously fight.

As the ripping and tearing ensued, the behemoth, ape-like creature kneeled and patted the dying deer.  In its other hand was Douglas' camera, which he held out to the grays. One of them took it, and photographed the flesh-and-bone shredding event. The flashes bothered no one.



Horror Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


Image from Google. Pinterest.com
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.