Romance Fiction posted July 26, 2020 Chapters:  ...74 75 -76- 77... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie wants to go home.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 33 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Friday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 17 days.
After today's post and three more McKenzie will finally get out of the hospital. I promise. There are six posts left until the end.




Ending of Previous Post:

Bill's eyes met Logan's as he asked, "What happened?"

"At lease five men followed me to the crematorium."

Simon chewed his lower lip. "Was anybody hurt?"

"Not inside. I took out three men. The rest were arrested." He glanced at Bill. "How much paperwork will I need to do?"

"Probably only a little, if any." Bill removed his cell phone. "Any idea where they took the others? I don't want them at lock-up. They need to be with the rest of the guys we've arrested."

Logan took out his phone. "I need to check with Mitch. I want to know who owns that black SUV. It's a pain."

Jose touched his wounded shoulder. "Tell me about it."


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 33 PART 1

As McKenzie stirred, Trey walked to her. "Good morning. Feeling any better?"

"I think so." She scanned the room and saw Logan, Simon, and Jose asleep in various chairs. "You got stuck watching me?"

"Not really. I just got here. I had a few things that needed taken care of. I don't require hardly any sleep."

"I thought Logan didn't need much sleep."

"He doesn't. I'm betting he's exhausted."

"Probably." McKenzie paused. "How well do you know him?"

"Very well. We served together for over eight years." He tapped his left leg. "This forced me out of the military or we'd still be together."

McKenzie's eyes widened. "What happened?"

Trey raised his left pant leg, revealing an artificial leg.

She used both hands and covered her mouth. "Sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

"No problem. We were deployed. I can't say where, and came under heavy fire. A grenade exploded nearby and took my leg." Trey chuckled. "Go figure. The army requires a soldier have two good legs." He pointed to Logan. "He saved my life that day."

McKenzie wiped a tear threatening to escape. "He seems to do that a lot, doesn't he?"

Trey leaned over and hugged her. "I hope you didn't mind." He took a deep breath. "That he does."

Logan shook his head. "Who does what?"

"Nothing. Mac and I were just talking."

"Good. I hoped you'd become friends." Logan glanced around the room as his buddies were walking up.

Scanning the area, McKenzie asked, "Is Sheila safely at her parents?"

Trey pretended to check it off his imaginary list. "She is, and I made sure of it myself. I'm positive we weren't followed. I asked about the baby too. The doctor said he/she is doing well."

Logan offered, "Bill and Joanie went home. So you're stuck with us."

"I know you have no place to be, but don't the others need to report to work?"

Logan grinned. "Bill has taken care of Jose. You know what? I'm not sure about Simon. I should probably ask when he wakes up."

"Any idea when the doctor's making rounds. I'm sure I'm ready to go home. I bet Edger and Arlo miss me. Who's letting them out and feeding them?"

Bill walked through the door. "They're staying at our house. Joanie's spoiling them rotten and thinking about getting a dog." He studied Logan.

McKenzie tilted her head. "What are you two not telling me?"

Sitting on the bed beside her, Logan took her hand. "When you were kidnapped, Edger was shot. The vet said he'll make a full recovery. Joanie reports he's doing great, except he's worried about you."

She tossed the blankets aside. "He needs me."

Logan held her arm and recovered her. "Right now you need to stay put and listen to the doctor."

"You're ordering me around. I don't like it."

"I know you don't, but this time I have back-up. Gentlemen, please tell this patient she needs to remain in bed until the doctor clears her."

The four men stepped closer, as Bill said, "He's right, and we're staying until you can leave."

"I'm pretty sure three of you need to be at work."

Simon grinned. "I plead the fifth."

"I'm not buying it. How many days have you missed because of me?"

He counted on his fingers. "Wednesday through Friday, three days. I'm good."

Her glare switched to Jose. "Have you missed the same amount?"

"Nope, Bill moved me to his office. I'm on duty. Rank has its privileges."

"Trey, are you from the St. Louis area?"

"Nope, K.C. Before you asked, I was doing nothing but watching game shows. This is a lot more interesting. I'm thinking about staying. You could use a body guard."

"I'm capable of taking care of myself, but thank you anyway."

Trey's eyes scanned her hospital bed. "I can tell." He paused. "I've heard you're feisty."

Bill chuckled. "I think we actually said stubborn."

Jose added, "I think we said 'has a mind-of-her-own'."

The men laughed.

McKenzie exhaled a deep breath as her eyes met Logan's. "Aren't you going to chime in?"

He grinned. "I didn't hear a thing."

Patting him on the back, Bill said, "Wise man."

As Dr. Gray walked in, McKenzie immediately said, "I'm feeling better. I'm ready to be released. I'm sure you can get the paperwork completed by lunch."

His eyes met Logan's. "I see what you mean." He walked to McKenzie. "This isn't my first rodeo, and I'm in charge. I doubt you'll be released today or even tomorrow. I'm glad your shower improved your health. I need to recheck a few fractured bones. I've ordered a MRI. I also want to check your liver and make sure there's no damage."

"If you know my bones are fractured, why do you need additional information?"

"With you being held in a small closet, I didn't want to risk additional trauma. So I didn't order a MRI right away. I feel you're up to being in a closed space. I want to get a better look at a couple of those fractures. The two I want a better look at are part of your rib cage. It wouldn't hurt to recheck the cheek bone either. I didn't like the looks of it."

"I don't have a choice, do I?"

"Nope, you don't." The doctor glanced at the men. "Gentlemen, could you please wait in the hallway? I need to examine the patient."

The five men left the room.




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later
Trey Walker former Army buddy and now retired, lives in Kansas City and helped rescue McKenzie
Dr. Gray McKenzie's doctor




Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. This post has a little over 900 words. I finished this novel months ago. Last week, I edited this post daily and as I posted still made numerous changes. I hope I didn't make it worse. Again, I want to thank you for all of your help and support. Logan struggles with McKenzie's injuries as the search continues for Megan's murderer. They get closer to becoming a couple and discovering who killed Megan.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.