Romance Fiction posted July 12, 2020 Chapters:  ...72 73 -74- 75... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan prepared to leave for Megan's cremation.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 32 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Thursday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 16 days.

Ending of Previous Post:

"I haven't. The doctor's with her now." Logan studied his mother. "Mom, something's bothering you. What?"

"They're cremating Megan tomorrow."

Logan ran his hands through his hair. "Mom, I can't leave Mac right now."

"I understand."

Trey walked up. "I overheard. Logan, go. Your parents need you. You need to be there. I'll stay with Mac."

"Remember her reaction the last time she woke up?"

"Simon, Jose, and I have this. You can introduce me before you leave. Simon said his wife has a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Maybe Sheila can stay. Between the three of us, we got this. Bill won't be far either. His wife will help too. You need to be with your family."

Logan took Nancy's hand. "What time?"

"It's scheduled first thing in the morning, eight o'clock."

"I'll be there." He faced Trey. "Whatever happens, don't leave her alone. I don't trust the yokels they have guarding her room. I'd feel a lot better with people knowing I'm right beside her. So if I have to leave her, even for a couple hours - let's keep it just between the six of us, okay?" He paused.

"Got it." Trey nodded.

Logan rose as the doctor left McKenzie's room. "Any change?"

Dr. Gray shook his head. "Not really. I don't expect any until tomorrow." He grinned. "Her body temp rose to 95.0. I think your body heat helped. Keep it up."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 32 PART 1

Early the following morning, Simon, Trey, Jose, and Bill repeatedly assured Logan the four of them would remain with McKenzie until he returned.

Logan stared at Mac. "I wish she'd wake up. I need to introduce Trey as one of us. I don't want her scared again."

Bill patted him on the back. "I'll be here. Once in a while, Mac actually listens to me. Joanie will be by around eleven o'clock."

Simon offered, "Sheila will be here close to ten."

McKenzie stirred as her eye lids fluttered. "Logan?"

"I'm here." He held her hand. "Feeling any better?"

Bill touched her arm. "They're cremating Logan's sister today. He needs to be there."

Logan glared at him. "We'll talk later." Bill knows better than to hit Mac with that first thing in her condition. What was he thinking? Obviously he wasn't. He caressed McKenzie's hand. "I'll be back as soon as possible. Simon, Jose, Bill and my friend Trey will remain in the room with you. I'd like you to meet him."

She cautiously nodded. "If you trust him..."

"I do," interrupted Logan. After Trey moved closer, Logan introduced him.

Trey's eyes met McKenzie's. "I'm sorry I hovered over you yesterday. I should've realized a strange man in the room when you woke up wouldn't be good, especially after everything you've been through. Please accept my apology."

McKenzie swallowed, but offered her hand. "Logan said you served with him." When he accepted it, she continued, "I'm sorry I reacted the way I did. I understand you helped rescue me."

"I was part of the team. I'm glad I could be of service."

She inhaled slowly, before she released it. "If Logan trusted you, then I do too. I understand you'll be in the room with everybody else."

"I will, but if you'd prefer I remained outside the door, I'll do that. I understand you don't know me."

"It's okay." Her eyes met Logan's. "My eyes are struggling focusing."

"According to your doctor that's a side effect of alcohol poisoning."

McKenzie nodded. "When do you have to leave?"

He checked his watch. "In about five minutes."

"Okay."

Logan kissed her. "I'll return as soon as possible. I promise."

She reached up and touched her lips. "Thank you. I needed that." She drifted back to sleep.

Jose teased, "I knew you were a couple. Now I have evidence."

"Whatever. Just don't leave this room." Logan opened the door. "I'll be back ASAP."

*****
The men watched McKenzie sleep and whispered to each other. Their heads turned when the door opened.

Simon walked over and kissed his wife. "I'm glad you made it safely. What time's your doctor's appointment?"

Sheila checked to make sure the door shut. "Two o'clock. I sent Dad home. I'll call him when I'm finished. I didn't want him waiting around all day." She smiled. "Besides the boys were a handful this morning. Mom may need back-up."

Trey gave Sheila a hug. "Good to see you again. I can make sure you get home safely. I'm sure they're watching this room. Let me know when you need to leave for your appointment and I'll walk you there. They'll expect Simon to be your escort." He chuckled. "I might confuse them."

McKenzie whispered, "Did I hear Sheila's voice?"

Simon walked to her. "You did."

Sheila leaned over and hugged her. "I couldn't stay away. I have a check-up this afternoon, so it was a good excuse to come early. How you feeling?"

McKenzie touched Sheila's arm. "I don't want you here. Being around me puts you in danger. You need to leave. I hope they don't know you're here. Bill, get her out of here." Tears rolled down her cheeks. "Leave!" She rolled over.

Sitting on her bed, Sheila placed her hand on McKenzie's shoulder. "I'm your friend and I care about you. I'm not going anywhere. You need me and these four men are going to make sure both of us are safe."

"But you have to think about your baby."

Sheila placed McKenzie's hand on her stomach. "Feel that. Junior says he needs to be here and can't wait to meet you."

Trey slapped Simon on the back. "You're not naming number three Junior, are you? Come on, you need a more original name than that."

Sheila smiled at Trey. "Don't worry. I won't let him. Although, we haven't agreed on a name."

"I feel the baby." McKenzie grinned. "That was a hard kick. I've never felt a baby kick before." Her eyes met Sheila's. "You know him?"

"You mean Trey?" After McKenzie nodded, Sheila continued, "Yes, Simon, Logan, and him were inseparable in the Army. He's good people. I trust him with my life. He's going to make sure I make it safely back to my parents."

"Okay." She leaned back in bed.

"I'll sit beside you. Why don't you get some rest?"

McKenzie nodded and fell back to sleep.

After Sheila was sure McKenzie was asleep, she glanced at Simon. "She looks terrible. Are you positive she's going to be okay?"

"The main problem is the alcohol poisoning. The bruising and swelling just look bad but will heal over time." Simon grinned. "She'll be back to her gorgeous self in no time.

Jose stepped closer. "She's one tough lady. She'll come through this. Besides she has all of us praying and sending love."

Bill tapped Jose's shoulder. "You're right. Don't forget Logan's love."

Trey teased, "I never thought a female would get to him. She sure has."
Bill chuckled. "He was smitten from the beginning."

Jose added, "I'm not sure what smitten means but Logan fell hook, line, and sinker."

Simon put his arm around Sheila. "Just let him hear you say it. He'll disagree."

Sheila touched her husband's hand. "I think even Logan will admit it now. This must have scared him."

The four men said, "It did."




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later
Trey Walker former Army buddy and now retired, lives in Kansas City and helped rescue McKenzie
Dr. Gray McKenzie's doctor



Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. This post has a little under a 1000 words. Again, I want to thank you for all of your help and support. Logan struggles with McKenzie's injuries as the search continues for Megan's murderer. They get closer to becoming a couple.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.