Supernatural Fiction posted July 7, 2020 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of Unleashed Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Unleashing Chaos

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. This is a rewrite, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
While the others hung back and waited, Jem and Steven charged forward. As they neared the security gate that led into the research facility, Jem wasted no time and launched a fireball straight out of the palm of his hand. The two guards posted outside took notice of what was coming and made a run for it. When it made contact, it exploded and ripped the steel barricade blocking the entrance.

On cue, Tim, Drakon, Kyle and Casey came rushing forward. It wasn’t long before they were met by Dr. Crane’s men. The second they opened fire Jem took them by surprise with another blast. It exploded when it hit the ground. After a few minutes, the smoke and dust finally cleared. It looked like a bomb had gone off. The front entrance to the facility had been destroyed and at least a dozen guards were scattered among the debris.  

As they hurried past all the wreckage, Drakon stopped long enough to snatch a security access card from one of the guards. He caught up with Kyle and said, “This should give you clearance to all the doors.”

Kyle smiled as he took the key card. “Like I said… you’re the man, Drakon.”

Drakon smirked. “Let’s just pray it works.”

When everyone gathered outside the entrance that had a hole in it the size of a crater, Tim said, “This is where we split up.” He focused on Kyle and Casey. “I’m counting on you guys to locate Tessa and her mother. Use your radio to stay in contact.”

Kyle nodded and rushed inside with Casey right on his heels. 

On the other end of the facility, an alarm echoed, bringing forth armed guards. As they charged into the room where Jace was held prisoner, they opened fire when they saw he had shifted into his Beast. As the hail of bullets slammed into his chest, his body thrashed wildly, and blood streamed from his white pelt. He crouched into a fight stance and howled as the silver-tipped slugs burned his hide.
 
“Hold your fire!” Dr. Crane ordered as he rushed inside with a tranquilizer gun. “I want him alive!”

The gunfire finally came to a halt, and before Dr. Crane managed to sedate the Beast, its supernatural speed outweighed his human pace. As he shot forward and pummeled into the physician, the bone-jarring force knocked the tranquilizer gun from his grasp. Momentum hammered him into one of his men and sent them tumbling across the floor.

Dr. Crane gritted his teeth and grunted but managed to pull himself up. The second it took him to grab the tranquilizer gun, wolfish fingers closed around his throat and hoisted him off the floor. He instantly dropped the sedative and gasped for breath. He clawed at the Beast’s tight grip and kicked his feet.
 
When bullets nailed the Beast from behind, he quickly released the physician and spun around to face the shooter.

Then, the sound of a doleful clicking noise took the gunman by surprise. He realized he was out of bullets and wearily took a few steps back.

Hungry for the taste of blood, the Beast locked onto the man’s jugular and peeled back his lips. As he prepared to attack, an explosion of glass and gunfire momentarily distracted him. Then, an impact rocked the facility so hard, it felt as though it had been hit by a meteorite. A portion of the ceiling came crashing down, nearly hitting the Beast. Fluorescent tubes shattered in an explosion of sparks, barely giving them enough light to see by.

“Release the hybrids!” Dr. Crane called out as he pushed his way through all the fragments of rubble and broken glass. 
     
As much as the Beast longed to sink his teeth into the human’s flesh and rip out the physician’s throat, something more important drove him forward. He dropped to all fours and bolted out of the room and made his way through a long corridor that led to the heart of the facility.

Meanwhile, Kyle and Casey moved slowly down a hallway, checking every room. As they came to an open doorway, they went inside, but unfortunately, there were no signs of Tessa or her mother.

“Tim… do you read me?” 

Tim heard Kyle’s voice over the radio as bullets zinged by him and the others. When they took cover, Tim reached for his two-way radio and said, “Kyle, did you find Tessa?”

“So far, nothing. What about the rest of you?”

“We’re making our way to the other wing as fast as we can. Keep looking, Kyle. Tessa has to be somewhere—”

Tim’s voice cut off as bullets kicked up plaster close to where he and the others had taken cover.

“Tim, are you guys okay?”

After a few moments, Tim said, “Don’t worry about us. We’re okay. Just ran into a few hiccups. Just keep searching for Tessa and her mother. Keep me informed.”

“Roger that. We won’t stop looking until we find them.”   

As soon as Tim put away the radio, something immense and heavy thundered close by. It sounded like a stampede of onrushing bulls.

Tim rolled his eyes. “What the hell now?”

Drakon peered around the corner to get a closer look, and as soon as he saw what was heading in their direction, he motioned toward the others and shouted, “Run!”

In a matter of seconds, the floor beneath their feet began to tremble as they took off in the opposite direction.

Steven’s eyes bulged as he glanced over his shoulder and saw about a dozen hybrids charging after them. 

When Jem spotted a door a few feet ahead, he directed the others toward it, praying the damn thing was unlocked. He let out a sigh of relief as he pushed through it and held it open for the others. As soon as everyone made it inside, Jem slammed it shut.  
       
They listened at the chorus of howls as the hybrids tore past the door seemingly focused on something else.

“Shit,” Drakon said, breathing hard. “That was close.”

“They weren’t after us,” Jem said.

“Then… what the hell are they after?”

Before Jem could respond, a thunderous roar echoed in the distance.

Drakon exchanged glances with Jem and the others. “Is that who I think it is?”

“Yep.” Jem heaved out a deep breath. “That is definitely Jace’s beast.”

“He’s going to need backup,” Tim said. “There’s no way he can take on all those hybrids alone. We’re going to have to shift.”  

To be continued . . .   

 




A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong they cannot live without the other.

THE BEAST - It is the second-born son of the Chiang-Shih demon. When provoked into a rage, he will shift into the Beast instead of the Breedline wolf. The Beast is also known as the Great White due to his white fur and enormous, two-footed stature. One bite from the Beast has enough venom to kill the Chiang-Shih demon, leaving the soul of the person the demon possessed unharmed.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He is Tessa Fairchild's fraternal twin and is Abigail Winthrop's bonded mate.

Kyle Jones - He is a Breedline species that resides in the California Covenant. Celina Baldolf is his bonded mate. He's a mechanic and plays bass in the rock band Chaos.

Casey Barton - He is a Theriomorph and lives in the California Covenant. He is a clothing model and plays backup bass and keyboards in the band Chaos.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.