General Fiction posted June 30, 2020 Chapters:  ...34 35 -36- 37... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Attempts on Senmut's life - and then he dies!

A chapter in the book The Pharaoh Queen

Troubles - and 'Death.'

by thorney



Background
Hatshepsut and her lover Senmut, have over many years deceived all in Egypt about their true relationship. She is now in ill health, and her enemies at home are trying to loosing her grip on Egypt.
Over the next few months, trouble came fast and furious as far as Senmut was concerned. One evening, he was sharing a meal at the home of his brother, Amenemhet. His mind was preoccupied with the bad news he had received earlier in the day from the stone quarries at Aswan. This concerned the enormous obelisk he was planning to erect for Hatshepsut. The stone being prepared for the structure had fractured, and was now useless.

"It seems I'm out of favour with both Menkheperre's lot in the council, and also the gods at the moment," he remarked to his brother. "If it wasn't for the patronage and support of Hatshepsut. I would not be able to achieve half the tasks I have set myself. Now, my intentions of raising the greatest obelisk to her glory, could be delayed indefinitely."

His brother --who was four years older than Senmut, sympathised. "There are many years left for you to complete your work; reflect a little on the things you have already achieved, and take pride in them."

Senmut nodded his head in agreement while finishing his wine. He stood and whished Amenemhet good-night before leaving for his own apartments which were situated closer to the palace. The night was moonless, with the city quiet and dark; and his mind was still preoccupied with the broken obelisk.

He didn't see his two assailants until they were nearly on top of him. One grabbed him from behind - at the same time, the other attempted to stab him in the chest with a dagger. Senmut squirmed sideways, and the weapon entered his left shoulder instead. Kicking out at the attacker in front of him, he managed to drive him away. Then, forcing himself to drive quickly backwards, he forcibly rammed the second assailant against a wall, winding him. With his arms now free, he drew his bronze sword from its sheath and attacked both men.

He believed he had managed to deliver some telling blows, however, both his enemies had lost their appetite for the affray, and rushed off into the darkness. Senmut returned to his brother's residence for treatment to his wound, and an escort back to his own chambers.

***

The following morning, Senmut reported the incident to Hatshepsut--who was enraged! The Pharaoh declared a proclamation. It announced, if the names of the two perpetrators were surrendered to her, she would issue an extra day's beer and bread to all; no one took up her offer.

"Robbers or assassins?" Hatshepsut pondered aloud the following night, while she shared a meal with Senmut. Continuing, she further speculated, "What benefits did they think was on offer? Why was the attack so violent?"

"I can't imagine," Senmut offered, while flexing his injured shoulder. "However, I'm at a loss to think who would want to 'assassinate' me."

Hatshepsut gave him a rueful smile, and he squinted his face at her wordless reply asking, "Who, then?"

She answered by asking him a question," Who do you think? Come on! What did you once call him? 'An arrogant little, self-centred man.' "

Senmut opened both his eyes and mouth wide in amazement at her declaration. "Never!" he gasped.

"Well, we know how vindictive he can be. He may have been encouraged by his supporters; you are aware of how unhappy they are about the number of monuments you are raising to me!"

However, she decided not to go further - keeping her thoughts on what Merytre might have said to her husband, Menkheperre, to herself.

***

It was close to another three months before a second attempt was made on Senmut's life; this time, there was no question of it being a robbery!

He was returning to Thebes after inspecting extra work which was being finalised at Deir el-Bahri, on Hatshepsut's mortuary temple. Senmut was alone and on horse-back. This was in direct contradiction to the advice given by the Female-Pharaoh, which stated he was to be accompanied by guards at all times when leaving the city.
However, he was tired of being closeted; feeling she was being overcautious.

He was only a mile from the temple when, from behind the cover of boulders, a flight of arrows flew at him. Senmut had little time to react for although the arrows failed to find him as a target, his horse was hit in the rump and bolted. The horse's panicked action and flight, quickly took him out of the range of what he thought to be at least two archers. However, he suffered a precarious ride while he fought to bring the frightened and injured animal under control.

Hatshepsut was incensed by both Senmut's disregard for her advice on his security--and the attack. Worse! The animal injured, later died; venom was found on the arrow tip.

"Now, will you listen to what I am telling you? She scolded him. "There now appears to be a concerted effort, to put you in your sarcophagus. If Menkheperre is the force behind these attacks, they won't stop until he succeeds in his aim--which I believe is your death. We will have to devise of a way to ensure your safety."

Later, during their evening meal, Hatshepsut looked Senmut in the eyes and declared forcefully, "I'm sending you back to Punt!"

He looked surprised and crestfallen, before asking the obvious questions, "Why, and When?" and then adding, "and for how long?"

"Why? Because I love you! The when? I need to give some thought to," she replied. "However, I don't want to wait until they feel it's time to have another attempt on your life. For how long? Well, until I feel it's safe for you to return."

Hatshepsut could see her words were of little comfort to him. She was aware he was no coward, and would rather stay by her side and fight rather than run away from his enemies. It suddenly occurred to her how she could 'sweeten the deal' for him.

"Perhaps you could spend your time in that land of mystery, preparing suitable accommodation for me to come and visit you," she offered.

Initially, his eyes opened wide at the prospect of spending time alone with the woman he loved. 'Especially away from this closeted court of intrigue and unrest,' he thought.
However, doubts arose in him. "Are you making me a promise you will come to
Punt?" he ventured.

She smiled at his astute intuition. "I am the Pharaoh Ma'at-ka-re., and as such, I just can't do what my heart desires. A solid promise to come to Punt - I can't give. However, I will give you my heart's promise, to make every effort to join you in that land in the South--if at all possible!"

Senmut knew she was being as honest as she could; after all, she was tied by those 'fares of state.' He, therefore, made the best of an unwanted situation and agreed,

At the city council meeting eight days after the attack on Senmut--which had been kept as quiet as possible. It was decided he would be sent to Ta netjer as a special trade ambassador. Some of the Menkheperre faction on the council were keen to see him go - others showed less enthusiasm, and objected to his status and appointment.

'Probably worrying he is escaping.' Hatshepsut thought.


***

Twenty days later, Senmut left Leucus Limen for Punt. The Pharaoh had insisted he sail South with a vessel loaded with some of Egypt's most excellent trade goods. This, under the pretence of establishing a large, permanent trading centre in the country. However, it was more to ensure Senmut had enough resources to enable him to live the life of a Prince in Ta netjer.

Soon after he arrived in Punt, Senmut asked for a private audience with King Perehu. At this meeting, he formally presented the King with documents informing the monarch of his position as Trade Ambassador. The ruler of Ta netjer, did not understand the Hieroglyphs, Senmut's new titles or the need for them; he simply regarded Senmut as his friend.

The new Ambassador explained to King Perehu, he would be staying in his country for some length of time. As such, he would require a residence of some stature to be built for his use. The monarch was overjoyed at the news, promising to construct Senmut a dwelling to match his own palace.

True to his word, within a month, Perehu's people assemble Senmut a structure to rival his own. At the new Ambassador's request, the building was erected in a secluded area over a half a mile outside the main settlement area. At its completion, the King presented Senmut with an entourage of four young, naked servants to tend to his needs; two of each sex,

***

During the next five months, Senmut applied himself to fulfilling his new duties. He then received devastating and puzzling news from home. To his surprise, it was his brother Amenemhet, who carried Hatshepsut's instructions to him. Things in Thebes were detreating as far as the Female-Pharaoh's political fortunes were concerned. Rumours had resurfaced concerning Senmut's involvement in the death of Neferure. Some, -- mainly supporters of Menkheperre, were claiming his position in Punt was a reward he did not deserve. There were demands for his recall.

"Her majesty emphasised to me, and through me to you, she thinks your life may be in danger again," Amenemhet stressed. "It is her wish, that on my return to Thebes, I spread the rumour I was summonsed to Punt by King Perehu. This summons was to inform me of your death at the hands of wild animals. I am to claim, it occurred while you were on a hunt with his warriors. I am also to declare your body was not recovered after the attack, so no burial can take place." After Amenemhet's little speech, Senmut was silent for a while before he addressed his brother.

"This will mean I can never go home. It will mean the tomb I have built as my resting place will remain empty. It also means I will never see my children, grandchildren or the woman I love ever again. I may as well be dead!"

"My Pharaoh expected you to reject her proposal. Therefore, I am to give you her papyrus note." Amenemhet then presented Senmut with a roll of papyrus bearing the seal of the Pharaoh Ma'at-ka-re. He quickly broke the seal and read the contents:

'My love, Senmut, ruler of my heart. We must have faith in the Gods which have blessed both our love and our lives. We must pray a solution is found to our dilemma. We must continue to love and trust each other. Be brave, my love. Heed the words I send with your brother. You will be forever in my heart until our lips meet again.'

Tears fell as he rolled the note back up. Taking a deep breath, he straightened his back, looked at his brother and said in firm tones said, "Then, let us comply with the will of Ma'at-ka-re, and explain her wishes to the King."

After Senmut returned from his audience with Perehu, they arranged for Amenemhet's passage back to Egypt on the first possible transport North. Although Senmut desperately wanted to send a papyrus note back to Hatshepsut, he thought better he did not. If the letter fell into the wrong hands, it would destroy the Pharaoh's subterfuge.

***

The following eight months were excruciating for Senmut. Because of his supposed death, he spent many days closeted in his secluded residence. He could not converse with any of the traders - especially Egyptian traders -- that still visited Punt. Therefore, he got no first-hand knowledge of what was happening at home.

He often spoke with the King - who to give credence to the story of Senmut's death -- had sent an envoy to the Pharaoh Ma'at-ka-re, expressing his condolences. The envoy had returned with another papyrus note for Senmut bearing Hatshepsut's seal. This note, as well as sending her love, also tried to give him notice of the on-going political situation in Thebes. However, it worried him just how much of it seemed garbled--making little sense.

Eventually, after he had been supposedly dead for nearly a year, his brother came to see him again. This time, he brought the worst of tidings--Hatshepsut's health was failing badly. Amenemhet had decided to consult Neferure and her husband Meketra with the problem. The collective agreement of all concerned was, he should report the situation to Senmut as soon as possible.

Senmut decided no fate was worse than the one he was suffering, and told Amenemhet so. He also informed his brother he would be sailing North with him on the first vessel that was returning to Leucus Limen. Heavily disguised, he was back on Egyptian soil within ten days.




This was written in British English.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. thorney All rights reserved.
thorney has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.