General Poetry posted July 1, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
One aspect of love

Return To Sender

by Brenda Henderson

You did something for me. Just as you have a million times before.

My heart still leaps each time your familiar smile grace's my door.

This love that I have and have held for you is not new.

It's something from my childhood that grew and grew.

From that Christmas when you called I have not been the same.

You reached out to me, but LOVE whispered my name.

I was so grateful for this GIFT of LOVE when my soul was revived.

I cried out to GOD with tears of JOY and my heart began to thrive.

I wanted to do something for you in return, for to return the favor my heart did yearn.

So I prayed again and asked HIM to make me a GIFT of JOY in your life.

A safe harbor, a place of peace, I hoped someday, perhaps, you'd make me your wife.

I didn't want to rush things, but it became increasingly hard to hold my love back.

There were comments from those I knew. They tried to tell me how I should or not act.

I became insecure and second guessed myself. I have only myself to blame.

Trying to hold in my emotions only served to fan the flames.

I wanted you to have the LOVE I knew you so richly deserved and had indeed earned.

There was one lesson that I had failed oftentimes to learn.

When LOVE appears unrequited it scorches and burns.

I guess I should have taken the time to ask if you wanted me first. For though I sit waiting, wrapped and tied with bow on the doorstep of your life;

When I speak of my love for you, I sense trouble and strife.

So I hide my feelings and I keep my mouth shut tight.

It makes me feel false and doesn't seem right.

You have set boundaries, that would be disrespectful to cross. So my desire to effect the outcome I must surrender.

Lest I risk my heart be rejected marked "Return to Sender"!



Emotions writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Pick an emotion and write a poem of any type.


My gratitude for the use of "Return to Sender" by avmurray.

https://youtu.be/PU5xxh5UX4U

The link above is a You Tube video of Elvis Presley performing "Return To Sender" in the film "Girls, Girls, Girls." I don't own the rights to the music or the video but I thought that the Elvis fans out there might enjoy it. Also the last line in the poem immediately brought the song to my mind.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brenda Henderson All rights reserved.
Brenda Henderson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.