Supernatural Fiction posted June 30, 2020 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of Unleashed Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Beast Unleashed

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. This is a rewrite, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
On the southside of the research facility, Dr. Crane’s guards had Jace’s wrists and ankles shackled to chains that were embedded deep in the floor. He was so incapacitated from all the sedatives and the restraints made of silver he could barely hold his head up.

Suddenly, blurred images flashed before him. Jace remembered the battle with the hybrids and then, out of nowhere, he’d been rendered unconscious by a huge blast. The moment he regained consciousness and opened his eyes, he immediately recognized the person peering down at him. No matter how hard he tried to forget, seeing his half-brother brought back all the dark memories of the past. He’d never forgive him for what he’d done to Tessa. Before he got the chance to rip that smug look off his face, someone from behind had drugged him. Although he had no recollection at all of who it was, the memory of Sebastian’s face was still fresh in his mind.

His head was spinning. He tried to gather himself, tried to think, to shake off the effects of the drugs and call upon his Beast.

I need to focus, he feverishly thought. I’ve got to save Tessa.  
 
Shaking, he prayed for a miracle. “Please God,” he choked the words out. “Please help…” His voice trailed off when he heard the door burst open.

Jace looked forward and watched through blurred vision as several people in white lab coats entered the poorly lit room. He nervously glanced side to side as they formed a circle around him. Desperate to be free, he tugged at the chains that were bound to his wrists, but it was hopeless, he was too weak.

“Dammit,” he gasped.   
  
When a pale, thin man wearing round spectacles stepped forward and faced him, Jace stared at him in silent menace. The pale-faced man looked evil and unrelenting in his Neo-Nazi uniform, oddly resembling Adolf Hitler.

“Bring forth your Beast,” he ordered in a callous, German accent.

Jace shook his head. “I can’t…”

“You will do as I say!”

“Go to hell,” Jace said, snarling his upper lip.

“Bring in Heinrich!”

Seconds later, a bearded man came into the room with what looked to be a silver whip in his grasp. He wore army fatigues and a black beret. As he moved in behind Jace, Hitler’s doppelganger backed away.

Jace braced himself and gritted his teeth, preparing to feel the burn of the whip. It whirled high in the air, end over end, and struck his back like a blazing torch. He instantly dropped to his knees and howled in pain.

The bearded man seemed to have no end as he continued his vicious savagery. He slashed his flesh again and again, until finally, Jace went limp against his restraints.

“Enough!” the Hitler look-alike shouted. “Leave us!”

After everyone filed out of the room, Hitler’s doppelganger came forward and leaned over Jace’s bloodied body. “Do you know who I am?”

With all the strength Jace could muster, his lifted his chin to meet his captor’s eyes and remained silent.

“You’re very stubborn, Mr. Chamberlain. You remind me of Steven.”

Jace narrowed his eyes. “You’re that bastard Dr. Crane, aren’t you?”

“My name is Dr. Hubert Crane, and you are my prisoner.”

“Why? What did I do to you?”

“It’s not what you did to me. It’s what you’re going to do for me.”

Jace lowered his head and spat blood on the physician’s boots. “I’m not going to do a damn thing for you.”

“Oh…” Dr. Crane lifted a brow. “I think I can persuade you. If you do not produce your Beast within the hour, your precious mate will pay the price for your defiance.”

Jace tried to lunge at him, but the chains held him back. “Don’t you touch her,” he growled. 

As the physician walked away, Jace yelled, “I swear… I’ll kill you!”

Before he left the room, he glanced over his shoulder at Jace. “You have one hour.”  
   
When the door slammed shut, something deep within Jace overrode the drugs and the silver. An unbridled fury took control and reawakened the Beast. 

At first, nothing happened. Then Jace’s breathing suddenly became deeper and more guttural. It was at that moment he gasped in relief, realizing the impending changes were rising fast. Already, straining muscles rippled beneath his skin, while coarse white hairs sprouted from every pore and began to cover the bloody welts on his back. The shape of his face twisted and stretched until his human features were no more. Jace felt himself expanding as if his skin could no longer contain its natural state. His inner Beast throbbed with power and a lust for blood—the blood of the physician who had threatened to hurt Tessa.

With a thunderous roar, he tugged at the silver shackles, snapping them apart as though they were twigs.

The noise coming from inside instantly alerted Dr. Crane’s men who stood guard outside the door.

“Sound the alarm!” Heinrich ordered as he sprung open the door.

When the Beast turned to look, he saw the bearded man reach for his whip. Fueled with anger, Jace’s beast charged at the speed of lightning with broken chains dangling from his wrists. He sent them slicing through the air, giving Heinrich a taste of his own medicine. The force of the impact knocked him off balance and shattered his torso. As he toppled over in agony, the Beast threw his head back and howled in triumph.

To be continued. . .

 



Book of the Month contest entry


A reference to terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants. She is their absolute law.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have a book of laws. If disobeyed, they must face the Breedline council. Punishment for taking another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life and the life of another - they will instantly shift into a rogue wolf for life and shunned by the Breedline Covenants.

THE BEAST - It is the second-born son of the Chiang-Shih demon. When provoked into a rage, he will shift into the Beast instead of the Breedline wolf. The Beast is also known as the Great White due to his white fur and enormous, two-footed stature. One bite from the Beast has enough venom to kill the Chiang-Shih demon, leaving the soul of the person the demon possessed unharmed.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He is Tessa Fairchild's fraternal twin and is Abigail Winthrop's bonded mate.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.